Close

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default Carb Turbo M81 Mclaren- IT'S ALIVE after 15 years! (Now 22 years!)

OK so I am going to try and get my M81 McLaren Turbo carb car running again- last registered 1991 and I bought it in 1993. It's a California car and has not been started in 15 years so I have a lot of work to do. On the short list will be to drop the tank, replace the fuel and vacuum lines, replace all the hoses, radiator, change all the fluids etc. Just for kicks I may just run an extra inline filter and add a 1/2 gallon of gas and see if it will come to life. I did this when I got it 18 years ago and after a quickie tuneup it fired but blew huge plumes of white smoke during acceleration. It did run pretty darn well despite this with the turbo spooling nicely. I suspect the head gasket and or rings are shot. The previous owner had this issue and had the turbo rebuilt with no change so that is likely not the issue. I will by a Ford shop manual online since I need to figure out the mess of vacuum lines under the hood.
    Can any of you guys ID what these parts are and where they go? Kendal?!

Thanks for any help and encouragement.
    DH
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-09-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: update the title
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

a few more! Can anyone ID where these go too?
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

Looks like the tag on the carb reads
    E0ZE AAA OF1 A

Is this the Holley 5200?
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Mike Croke

Wow, what a rat's nest of vacuum lines. Is the original vacuum routing sticker under the hood still intact? I cannot help at all, sorry. Killer car though.

In this picture, is that the EGR?:

Mike Croke

In this picture, you are right. Nothing goes there. I'm sure this is the wrong explanation, but some of the vacuum devices need a "reference" to atmospheric/non-vacuum and to prevent crud getting into the lines and devices, the reference is behind the air filter.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post
    In this picture, you are right. Nothing goes there. I'm sure this is the wrong explanation, but some of the vacuum devices need a "reference" to atmospheric/non-vacuum and to prevent crud getting into the lines and devices, the reference is behind the air filter.
    Thanks Mike. Every little bit helps . There are no stickers on my hood since the original front end was replaced at the McLaren shop. I haveo been able to identify a few lines based on other posted pics but it seems the CA cars are very different from most on the equipment and routing.

DH
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

BTW I already need to give credit to Inchewitt and Sellis1012 for the pictures they have posted. Thanks guys!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Default 5200 turbo carb notes

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Looks like the tag on the carb reads
    E0ZE AAA OF1 A

Is this the Holley 5200?
    Looks like a 5200
    http://www.carburetorfactory.com/expvw17.html

I have 2 E0ZE-AAA's. One on car since '06, one a spare.
    One on car is off a non-turbo, spare is off another turbo engine.
    Engine (stock 49 state '79 carbed turbo) runs fine with the 80 carb. 79 carbs hard to find. OEM wore out.

The 79 and 80 turbo carbs seem to have 2 extra vac connections on the air horn like in one of your pictures.
    Curved metal one on side and curved metal one up front. 'Pipe', small diameter.

As to the curved 'pipe', valve cover side of carb airhorn:
    Took a year+ to figure out the engine needed it to idle correctly.
    Had to drill a hole for the 'pipe' to the non-turbo carb.
    Then, where did it connect to the snake pit of hose from the factory..??
    Connected it directly to the intake manifold tree. All it does is suck air like a small vac leak.
    Result: smoothed out the vac reading and warm idle from 15" to almost 20". Why?..dunno.

Did not mark that connection during rebuild-had to guess at it.
    It may not be exactly right, but setup works great.
    Eliminating most of the spaghetti during rebuilding goofed everything up.

These are notes i hope are of some value.

FEP Power Member

I am sending you some pics, my M81 does not have all of those hoses on it. I do have some others that have most of them. Pics will be comming to your e-mail if it is still the same..
    Kendal

Contact Neil (WHTLTHR79RS). He's got the 'bible' for the carb turbo enignes...
    Last edited by Mustang Marty; 03-21-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

I am having similar issues with my 1980 Turbo Cobra I also can not find where the vacuum lines go through the firewall to operated the dash components. Anyone know where that is on a non A/C car? All kinds of vacuum line questions. Does anyone know if the carbureted turbo-non A/C cars had a fifferent carbutetor and did they have an electric choke Any info you could forward to me as would be greatly appreciated rat-racing@juno.com
    1995 Cobra-Convertible w/Hardtop option
    1980 Cobra-2.3T, Black w/Red Stripes, Red Interior

This thread might also be helpful http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=81334
    1995 Cobra-Convertible w/Hardtop option
    1980 Cobra-2.3T, Black w/Red Stripes, Red Interior

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Looks like a 5200
    http://www.carburetorfactory.com/expvw17.html

I have 2 E0ZE-AAA's. One on car since '06, one a spare.
    One on car is off a non-turbo, spare is off another turbo engine.
    Engine (stock 49 state '79 carbed turbo) runs fine with the 80 carb. 79 carbs hard to find. OEM wore out.

The 79 and 80 turbo carbs seem to have 2 extra vac connections on the air horn like in one of your pictures.
    Curved metal one on side and curved metal one up front. 'Pipe', small diameter.

As to the curved 'pipe', valve cover side of carb airhorn:
    Took a year+ to figure out the engine needed it to idle correctly.
    Had to drill a hole for the 'pipe' to the non-turbo carb.
    Then, where did it connect to the snake pit of hose from the factory..??
    Connected it directly to the intake manifold tree. All it does is suck air like a small vac leak.
    Result: smoothed out the vac reading and warm idle from 15" to almost 20". Why?..dunno.

Did not mark that connection during rebuild-had to guess at it.
    It may not be exactly right, but setup works great.
    Eliminating most of the spaghetti during rebuilding goofed everything up.

These are notes i hope are of some value.
    Awesome thanks!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Quote Originally Posted by rat-racing View Post
    This thread might also be helpful http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=81334
    Thank you this is where I got a few pics to help already.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

My 5 year old son who has been bugging me the last 2 years to get working on this and I pushed her out of the garage and connected a couple of mystery vacuum lines that were pieced together from some of the pics thoughtfully posted elsewhere ( a few more to go!), got some fresh gas, replaced the fuel filter, fire extinguisher ready, a touch of oil into each cylinder, connected the portable jumper box and... what's that burning smell?!!

Well the jumper box started smoking alot while trying to crank her up. Apparently not enough juice to really get it cranking enough to get going. I pulled it off and it kep smoking heavily. The door buzzer was working and the rest of the electronics worked so at least the systems appear to all be working fine. I'll pick up a new Motorcraft battery this week and try again next weekend.

Thanks to all the great guys on here for assisting with pics and advice on the vacuum lines. I'll order "the book" from Neil along with the Ford vacuum shop manual and electronics manual from evilbay. Hopefully they arrive fast.

A few pics of solved lines and new questions...
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Thanks for the pics Kendall. These are helpful but also show different configs from other pics. Need to feed Neil to get "the book"!

BTW, anyone have a spare set of orginal Recaros to replace the hideous torn up baby blue front seats?!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Short term goal...get her running.

Long term goal...to look like this...
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

The turbo bearing oil feed line on that one is the metal line and brass fitting, under the accelerator cable bracket assy, center section of turbo assy. This metal tubing connects to bottom of oil sender tee for pressurized oil.
    The metal line pictured nearby, with the arrow, is a water line from a heater hose.

From EVTM schematic:
    The black and white things are vacuum check valves.
    The metal one and green air cleaner things, labeled A/CL xxx, are listed there.
    The part's functions are decoded and described in the Ford shop manual.
    Deep type technical reading.

Some salvage yards, swap meets, have the windshield washer reservoirs as they call them.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-22-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Default Hose question

a few more! Can anyone ID where these go too?
    Got one for you. Please..
    The vac hoses look for the most part intact as from the factory.

If you get a chance:
    There are 2 rubber hoses connected to the waste gate actuator.
    The can thing with a rod sticking out of it, under the turbo assy.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...pictureid=7014

Am interested where the larger (rearmost) of the 2 hoses is connected at the other end.
    A-Back of air cleaner?
    or
    B-Intake manifold runner vac tree under front of carb?

Thanks for the pics Kendall. These are helpful but also show different configs from other pics. Need to feed Neil to get "the book"!

BTW, anyone have a spare set of orginal Recaros to replace the hideous torn up baby blue front seats?!
    the first picture is a vacuume check valve
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I "think" this is the air injection control solinoid that pumps air into the exhaust(emitions crap). Does one side goe to to the air pump and the other go to the head or somewhere on the exhaust? Can't tell from the pic
    Last edited by Mad Max; 03-22-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Thanks Navycat and mad max! The new battery arrived, new vacuum lines are in hand and my eBay book is still in shipment! Will try again tonight to start her with the battery and lines as-is. Stand by!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Senior Member

I got the haynes manual as well as the chilton manual, they can help, at least they did for me with a few vacuum lines, however for the switch that killed my alternator they were no help, CA cars seem to have several subtlities
    1984 1/2 GT 350 finally done (well almost)
    2012 Focus SEL
    1971 Ranchero - needs bodywork
    1995 F150 4X4 Flareside - it is fun!
    2014 F150 Tremor - Holy Smoke!

The plugs were heavily oiled so I cleaned them out and re-checked the gaps. I poured a small amount of cas in the carb and it almost fired. So close! Looks like I am not getting fuel so I ned to dig in and see what is going on. It's probably the old gas has gummed up the system. The lines all look good. Suggestions? Would it be wise to try and blow them out with compressed air (with a rag on the end to catch any crud in front of the new fuel filter)? I am without a manual yet so I need some guidence. Where is the fuel pump on this? Is it in the tank like the later models? Does it even have a fuel pump?
    DH
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Unless this is totally different than the other 2.3's you should have a mechanical fuel pump somewhere on the side of the block. It shouldn't have a fuel pump in the tank considering it's not fuel injected.
    John

1986 SVO 1C
    1993 Cobra

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast