Close

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

DH, youre the best. May your back get a repreave now , and your 14 year old know his 11 year quest has yeilded the best prize of all. I love your work done together.

An incredible journey, and an awesome result. Congratulations!

Thanks for all the support guys. Tons of memories here and with my son on this journey. This year we'll make more with many local outings and back road drives. He's turning 15 next week and is all over the map with what car to buy so I'm sure a new project is on the horizon.

Next up brakes, get the rear speakers talking with the Kenwood and some more fiddling on small stuff. Maybe in the next year or so I'll contemplate getting the body and paint back in shape but I'm dreading the thought of leaving it somewhere else other than my garage.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Congrats on working the kinks out. Amazing car. How bad is the paint? Original? If so, maybe some paint correction and touch-ups here and there to preserve its originality.

Oh so that's what that sound was on Easter leaving the local C&C show!

Some thrashing to get it back together temporarily to make the GoodGuys show on Sunday. All as it left the factory...

I haven't touched drum brakes since my Capri over 25 years so took me a while to orient myself again. Had to replace the adjuster spring and lever as well as the parking brake link spring but the aftermarket lever is either off or something else is wonky (cable hook stretched or red spring installed wrong? I could not for the life of me get the adjuster wheel to sit with the lever correctly. Manual adjustment still worked OK thankfully.

A full end to end brake rebuild with all new is on the list for summer but we made it to the show and the brakes worked surprisingly well

Met a bunch of cool people including Canaan from @basinmotorsports and member here who came by and said hi. He has an awesome 4-eye widebody notch but my phone died so here's a swiped pic...
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 06-05-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

FEP Senior Member

I was able to grab a couple photos of the M81 when I went back. You had left, but I got some video of it also for my YouTube channel. It's included in the Good Guys video. Nice to meet you, even though we didn't get to chat too long. The M81 is great and I was happy to see it in person.

Attachment 128140

Attachment 128141
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

nice pictures. I almost made it out to the good guys show but flights and other garbage got messed up and I got out to CA just in time to leave for the most part. Not the adventure I had wanted to have with my dad, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    nice pictures. I almost made it out to the good guys show but flights and other garbage got messed up and I got out to CA just in time to leave for the most part. Not the adventure I had wanted to have with my dad, that's for sure.
    That would have been great too bad you had what my family calls an "adventure day". Basically when nothing seems to go your way! Maybe some other time.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Oh man that Durango parked by the Autocross was awesome I always liked those! Did not see it run but I bet it did well...
    photo courtesy of GGuys website as my phone died.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Oh man that Durango parked by the Autocross was awesome I always liked those! Did not see it run but I bet it did well...
    The Durango belongs to Martin Pond, who has a Fairmont also. I was able to talk to him a little before the runs on Saturday. It's IRS equipped in the back with a 347 under the hood. It was fast, and I think he came in 2nd for the weekend.
    Join The Conversation

Adventure ..... yes, that’s what it was. An Adventure. Lol.

FEP Senior Member

There is a small paragraph and picture in the July 2019 Good Guys magazine on the M81. Page 43 on the bottom left.

http://cdn.coverstand.com/54239/5933...89bd4614.3.pdf
    Join The Conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    There is a small paragraph and picture in the July 2019 Good Guys magazine on the M81. Page 43 on the bottom left.

http://cdn.coverstand.com/54239/5933...89bd4614.3.pdf
    Awesome thanks this pic is from the March show. I just got the gazette in the mail yesterday and sure enough there it is! Andrew is going to flip out! The pinto in the background belongs to my friend Mike. He’s the one who helped me source the head rebuild and torque it down. It has an SVO swap in it and posts great autocross times! That was an epic day that I was not sure would ever really happen.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Made it out for another show and a long drive including more freeway speeds this weekend. Slowly cleaning up up a few things including a re-wire of the new rear speakers and final Kenwood wiring and some polishing on the air cleaner which helped make it more presentable. Still need to do my brakes but will have to wait until August when I get all the new parts in. We're plotting a trek to RADWood next weekend if all goes to plan!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Supporter

Any show pictures? I’m sure this car still draws a crowd to it when it’s at a show. Really glad you have it at a drivable state now!

Freeway? That must have gotten some odd looks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Any show pictures? I’m sure this car still draws a crowd to it when it’s at a show. Really glad you have it at a drivable state now!

Freeway? That must have gotten some odd looks!
    It's funny actually, I don't think of taking pictures of my car when I'm out and about but do take pictures of other cars! I enjoy nerding out with any car enthusiast regardless of make/type but especially ford guys who've never heard of the McLaren and get the uniqueness. Some people laugh when they see it's only a 4 banger as they expect it's some track monster car. I try and break the ice with those telling them how slow it is but handles amazing! My son didn't take any pics either but my brother sent me a text of someone posting about an M81 on the RADWood Facebook page.

This show is a local cars and coffee deal with mostly hotrods and muscle-cars. This 69 was way over the top carbon fiber body pieces, rear fenders flared but look stock, and insane interior and rear suspension.

On the road I get a lot of strange looks and many thumbs up from younger people who recognize it as something different. RADWood would be up my alley as I grew up as a teen in that time and had a lot of car experiences. I just hope it's not too silly as the 80's decade becomes a cliche I guess like all the rest.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 07-24-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Made it to RADWood and had an awesome time! Parked next to Mike (?) and his very rad and rare Turbo Capri. Lots of really cool people with great stories to share! Hated to leave early to pack for vacation but can’t wait for the next one. Pics are not loading from Flickr on my phone so will try again later...
    Name:  56305F43-C650-486C-8A12-4BF9C4F273F5.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  139.2 KB
    Name:  EB0C18B4-7ED0-44A6-B1A1-113D3B926C07.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  58.5 KB
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-03-2019 at 02:15 AM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

That is so awesome that you're out driving and showing that rare beast! I love it.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks ZephyrEFI getting this road worthy with my son was the plan all along. Took a long time and still much to do but enjoying these little experiences is truly priceless. It sure is slow compared to anything modern but love all the thumbs up we get from young and old alike! Here’s a cousin up your alley
    Name:  0AF6D4BB-6668-4CC8-8DAD-E2BF1460DF32.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  143.0 KB
    Name:  000077E2-FDC5-4F20-8FBF-9BB81CE2A56F.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  135.3 KB
    Saw this at the GoodGuys show too but spoke with him @ RADWood. He’s already selling it to buy back an LS powered wagon but powering it with his Durango stroker motor! It is meticulously clean! We were suprised that there were hardly any foxbodys at this show.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

The Durango is owned by Martin Pond. It has an IRS installed in the rear also.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Yeah, I thought that was his Durango. It's sweet, but for some reason, I'm partial to his boxtop.

Didn't know he had sold his wagon.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

He sold the wagon to finance the Durango, or at least that is the way that it worked out.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

FEP Senior Member

I need to get down to Radwood next time. I saw Mike Musto talking about it on Instagram, but didn't really look into it. Perhaps my Fox would fit well enough with the M81 and Martin's next build. I bet it would be an 8 hour trip each way since Pleasanton was that by the time traffic was bad on Friday. At least they have an aero Fox convertible on the Florida flyer. I assume it's just an annual event in the Bay area (only late July)?