Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    just some thinkin
    1 qt fuel in lines = 1/4 gal
    20 mpg/4= 5 miles
    32 oz/4= 8 oz, 5 miles
    + some in fuel bowl. another 4 oz or so
    another 2 miles
    5- 7 miles, then fuel runs out; engine quits?

Not far off GR. I added 6 gallons after the muffler shop and drove about 25-30 miles total (back home then to the tire shop and a couple trips around the block) before my next stall out. I know I can't trust that gauge until I have a few fill-ups. So I assumed I had at least 3 gallons in the tank based on my previous work siphoning 3 gallons out to check for sediment and adding that back in, plus my fuel gauge showed 1/8 tank before the work yesterday which jives with a tank capacity of 12 gallons. I didn't lose all that fuel when i removed the lines or fill pipe as I had the passenger side jacked up to shift the fuel to the left side. Anyways, I need to do one thing at a time now so will start by adding at least 5 more gallons and re-test. If I fail again then at least I know the tank, lines, and filters are all working and I need to shift focus elsewhere.

I feel really bad for my son who is probably getting tired of all the work we have put in and not being able to actually enjoy the car! At least he is still always ready to work on it which will make the experience all the more satisfying once it is finally right. We are learning a ton as we go and he even helped get a friends Honda ATC back on the road with some of the knowledge gained along the way. Again I can't express how helpful you all have been here to help be my armchair mechanics! FWIW I am helping others on my VW forum with their CIS fuel injected cars which I have owned on and off since the 80's and to me are far easier to work on and diagnose! Someday hope to help others here as you all have done for me.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 12-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0