Close

Default Correct 2.3l Waterpump for My Car

A while ago i tried to replace my old waterpump with a nos rebuilt one and the shaft end for the pulley was too big for either the pulley or the spacer.
    It physically is different in appearance than the one that came on it, which i do not know if its the original it had either, but i was under the impression they were all basically the same and i can see they are not.

So what is the correct one for it then?

The part number on the nos rebuilt one i bought is d8fe-ba and has the tcp stamp on it and the impeller is like a blender blade but it does not fit the 2 v-belt pulley or the fan spacer, the thickness difference is significant so im not leaning on this being a messed up part and its actually for something else.

The one it had on it when i got it just has f61 and a "g" stamped on it, the impeller is different than the other(fan style blades) but everything fits like it should.
    However, the fan spacer has the number e5ze-8546-aa so obviously that wouldntve been on the car when it was made in 84 and im guessing it was replaced at some point(Edit: it was back in 2006 for leaking). I cant remember the number, if any, on the pulley itself.
    I have a fan spacer i bought for another car that i believe starts with e3 but ill have to dig it back up to be sure.
    Now i have a mess to figure out here but i need to know what is right first to put it back there.

What wouldve been there originally so i can try to put it back to that?
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 01-01-2024 at 03:57 AM.

Doing a quick look at pics on RockAuto, it looks like your NOS one is from an earlier NA 2.3.

The one for the later 2.3 with the accessory belt like on the turbo car E6ZZ8501A. (or superseded to E87E8501AA or F4PJ8501FA)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, if i can find the box it came in i guess someone someday will have a nice factory grey painted waterpump for their n/a 2.3 when they need it, cause i dont. I think it was less than 15 bucks and it was cheaper than just the gasket which is what i really needed so its not a big deal.
    I need the one that wouldve been on it in 83/84, e6zz wouldnt have been that. Those later new motorcraft ones, though they are fully cast even on the bypass hose outlet, say made in china on them so thats not happening.
    What is the reason for the different impeller types on these, since there seems to be no difference in them like heavy duty or standard duty.

2x
    Compaired two RA listings for 79 and 93 2.3 pumps. A good mind exercise when time allows.
    Only one brand listed both hub pilot sizes (GMB brand).
    Says hub pilot dia is 2.6" for early 2.3 pump up to 82, later 83-up pump is 2.2"
    Early= large pilot, later= smaller pilot. But 2" for pilot? The thing sticking out of the hub?
    Who measured that thing?
    Hub height early 4.86" late 4.96"

We both have 2.3T engines with V-belts. Different pump hubs.
    Did Ford make a mid 80's small pilot hub pilot V-belt pulley and a large pilot hub V-belt pulley?
    Early v-belt pump, later v-belt pump, later s-belt pump. Same hub for V and S belts.
    Later pumps could work either belt config with same hub, different pulleys?

Also GMB brand shows open style impeller for both early and late. The curveball.
    How does each rebuilder spec the individual rebuild parts combo? How does it do QC?

Have a 79 2.3. Two V-belts, early style pump from Murray's. Large hub pilot i assume.
    The 93 2.3 here has S-belt, later style pump from NAPA, smaller hub pilot.
    Again, assuming. Never matched the two nor realized they were different in that way.

Go with the pump that has the correct hub that matches car pulley spacer and bolt pattern.
    Can't really do anything else. Same impeller type would be nice.
    Impeller change? Prob cost. Pump casting looks the same. Maybe not.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-01-2024 at 05:48 PM.

China? Really?
    Just went back and checked the Motorcraft pump pic.
    Seen the sticker. On a genuine special premium priced Motorcraft pump. Oh well.

John Christopher: You don't trust me, Spock.
    Spock: In fact, I do. But only to a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    Well, if i can find the box it came in i guess someone someday will have a nice factory grey painted waterpump for their n/a 2.3 when they need it, cause i dont. I think it was less than 15 bucks and it was cheaper than just the gasket which is what i really needed so its not a big deal.
    I need the one that wouldve been on it in 83/84, e6zz wouldnt have been that. Those later new motorcraft ones, though they are fully cast even on the bypass hose outlet, say made in china on them so thats not happening.
    What is the reason for the different impeller types on these, since there seems to be no difference in them like heavy duty or standard duty.
    The E6ZZ is the supersession number after whatever the was before it.

If you need something with the earlier number, it looks like perhaps they were possibly E3BZ8501A, E3TZ8501A, E37E8505AA, EBBZ8501A. (Doing a quick internet search)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    2x
    Compaired two RA listings for 79 and 93 2.3 pumps. A good mind exercise when time allows.
    Only one brand listed both hub pilot sizes (GMB brand).
    Says hub pilot dia is 2.6" for early 2.3 pump up to 82, later 83-up pump is 2.2"
    Early= large pilot, later= smaller pilot. But 2" for pilot? The thing sticking out of the hub?
    Who measured that thing?
    Hub height early 4.86" late 4.96"

We both have 2.3T engines with V-belts. Different pump hubs.
    Did Ford make a mid 80's small pilot hub pilot V-belt pulley and a large pilot hub V-belt pulley?
    Early v-belt pump, later v-belt pump, later s-belt pump. Same hub for V and S belts.
    Later pumps could work either belt config with same hub, different pulleys?

Also GMB brand shows open style impeller for both early and late. The curveball.
    How does each rebuilder spec the individual rebuild parts combo? How does it do QC?

Have a 79 2.3. Two V-belts, early style pump from Murray's. Large hub pilot i assume.
    The 93 2.3 here has S-belt, later style pump from NAPA, smaller hub pilot.
    Again, assuming. Never matched the two nor realized they were different in that way.

Go with the pump that has the correct hub that matches car pulley spacer and bolt pattern.
    Can't really do anything else. Same impeller type would be nice.
    Impeller change? Prob cost. Pump casting looks the same. Maybe not.
    This is why i cant just go by sellers and retailers compatibility charts even for mustangs, everybody just says itll fit 79-93 which i constantly find isnt the case and very few will mention a difference if any.
    I dont get why there is any difference in the impellers at all if there is no difference in the pumps applications themselves. I wouldve assumed the difference was for heavy duty or n/a and turbo but there isnt one apparently.
    Im guessing the pump on the car was from GMB since its physical appearance matches theirs in their ads, if i cant find an original ill have to go with that one then.

Further thinking about rebuilt vs new.
    Me forgot these are new pumps, at least at RA. No core charge.
    Then the light or dark metal castings. Laser etchings and paint markings. Some look better.
    The impeller choice and hub matchup, of same pump, is different on several but not all brands.
    Meaning more brands agree the later pumps go with later style disk impeller
    OEM interchange numbers are always worth a quick look and think.
    About why not all vendors list the same Ford interchange part numbers more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    The E6ZZ is the supersession number after whatever the was before it.

If you need something with the earlier number, it looks like perhaps they were possibly E3BZ8501A, E3TZ8501A, E37E8505AA, EBBZ8501A. (Doing a quick internet search)
    I picked up a rebuilt E3BZ-8501-A and a 180° thermostat, since ill be in there why not.

Cant edit my post but i also picked up my other fan spacer disc with e3zz-8546-aa on it gonna match it up to the other to see if there is any difference between them.

FEP Power Member

Water pumps can be sent out for rebuilding.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The pump on it wasnt the original one, it was just a parts store replacement one. The main objective here was to replace the non original components with original factory parts to bring it back to original spec.
    Im sure i can rebuild it myself if it was the original.