Close

Threaded View

Default Carb Turbo M81 Mclaren- IT'S ALIVE after 15 years! (Now 22 years!)

OK so I am going to try and get my M81 McLaren Turbo carb car running again- last registered 1991 and I bought it in 1993. It's a California car and has not been started in 15 years so I have a lot of work to do. On the short list will be to drop the tank, replace the fuel and vacuum lines, replace all the hoses, radiator, change all the fluids etc. Just for kicks I may just run an extra inline filter and add a 1/2 gallon of gas and see if it will come to life. I did this when I got it 18 years ago and after a quickie tuneup it fired but blew huge plumes of white smoke during acceleration. It did run pretty darn well despite this with the turbo spooling nicely. I suspect the head gasket and or rings are shot. The previous owner had this issue and had the turbo rebuilt with no change so that is likely not the issue. I will by a Ford shop manual online since I need to figure out the mess of vacuum lines under the hood.
    Can any of you guys ID what these parts are and where they go? Kendal?!

Thanks for any help and encouragement.
    DH
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-09-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: update the title
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0