Close

Default window regulator

how do i remove a window regulator on a power window and install a manuel one

Blog Entries

Subscribing. I'm thinking about doing this project as well on my passenger door.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

FEP Power Member

Take a punch and punch the middle of the rivet out. Take a 1/4 drill bit and drill out the rivet. You will need new rivets and a big rivett gun to re instal the new regulator. You can use 1/4 bolts if you want but I dont like to use them.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    Take a punch and punch the middle of the rivet out. Take a 1/4 drill bit and drill out the rivet. You will need new rivets and a big rivett gun to re instal the new regulator. You can use 1/4 bolts if you want but I dont like to use them.
    +1. Don't use bolts unless you use plenty of thread locker. One more thing worth mentioning is the manual and power window regulators use some different mounting holes in the doors due to being a different size. It's nothing to worry about, but if you are wondering why holes don't line up, try looking around for other holes. The holes are already there, you just need to line it up to figure out which ones. It will only work one way, so that makes it much easier.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Blog Entries

Turns out that the manual door I took the regulator out of was a conversion from power somewhere back down the road. I took the door panel off and was greeted by nuts and bolts holding the manual regulator on, and very clear evidence that whoever did the job had one hell of a time getting the 2 front rivets off the power regulator! LOL!

The swap was amazingly easy, took all of 30 minutes, including swapping in the new key lock assembly. So now I have an '85 car that is all '85, including both doors (no more '88 door! yay!), and I can now lock the car and roll down both windows. What a deal!
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package