Close

Default 1985-86 HALO SEAT EXPERTS. Please enter!

I have a front pair of Halo seats that are out of a 1985 GT. The car only has 33k on it and for some reason the front seat upper section can not be adjusted. Neither the little black button on the rear of the seat(Facing the back seats) nor the side lever that you pull upwards to adjust the upper section of the seat work. The upper section of the seat will fall forward and backwards freely. However, the seats will stop in the position they are locked into.

How do i fix this? Neither the side lever nor the back lever work. I want to be able to adjust the upper section of the seat. The seats are absolutely perfect. Just bothers me that they are broken...

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Did they come out of a convertible cause they dont recline.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

Quote Originally Posted by 85 GT Kid View Post
    Did they come out of a convertible cause they dont recline.
    No. The car is all stock 100% original hatchback. The levers simply do not work. Is it a plastic piece inside that broke? Or something that needs welding? Either way, i'm fixing this problem. I'm picky.

FEP Senior Member

Convertables recline

Quote Originally Posted by teddy1500 View Post
    Convertables recline
    mine dont (well like 8 degrees thats it). Sounds like that spring is broken not sure if you can fix it.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.

FEP Senior Member

Mine recline fine, untill it hits the 1/4 trim at the the back seat, it hits by the seat belt.

Well lucky you lol. Who knows mine prob did but one of the POs prob screwed it up (some of the work they did was shoddy).
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

The ones in my wife's 60k mile 85 recline fine, but you can lean them forward without using the release handle.
    1985 Saleen #115, black with T-tops
    1993 Saleen #0016, Bright Calypso Green
    1993 LX 'vert, just a few bolt-on things

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wythors View Post
    The ones in my wife's 60k mile 85 recline fine, but you can lean them forward without using the release handle.
    Same with mine. I think they always have but I can't remember some of the 80's. Maybe too much beer?
    85 GT vert

Back on topic guys!! How do i fix these seats? Anybody?!?!

Replace the outer lever and spring assembly. That's what I had to do a couple of times already. In NOS form they're not cheap. They typically run about $100-$130 per side..

I didn't take them apart but I would suspect there's a locking pawl in the recliner that breaks or gets stuck. You can push the seats forward and back but you can't adjust the recline level.

Very annoying. If you need the part numbers, I can get them for you.

FEP Supporter

Related question...

I can adjust the recline of both seats and the "setting" sticks. However, I can just push them forward for passengers to exit the rear without having to pull the little lever up. It annoying because if I hit the brakes a lil hard, the passenger seat flops forward.

Anyone have a fix for that?
    '85 GT

86 50CPRI

mine have never locked since I've had it('89) I never knew they locked,and wondered what the knob was for. Then I ran across one that did lock. There is some kind of lever in the mechanism that sticks....

Yes both of these problems are very common on the '85-86 Halo seats. They are very annoying also. But i love these seats they are so comfy. Just wish they wouldn't break so easily

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    Replace the outer lever and spring assembly. That's what I had to do a couple of times already. In NOS form they're not cheap. They typically run about $100-$130 per side..

I didn't take them apart but I would suspect there's a locking pawl in the recliner that breaks or gets stuck. You can push the seats forward and back but you can't adjust the recline level.

Very annoying. If you need the part numbers, I can get them for you.
    Where can i get these springs? I know my lever on the side that pulls up still moves correctly, just doesn't do anything. Same as the little lever on the back of the seats. Must be the springs. How do i get a set of them? Thanks by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by JustaMustangGuy View Post
    Where can i get these springs? I know my lever on the side that pulls up still moves correctly, just doesn't do anything. Same as the little lever on the back of the seats. Must be the springs. How do i get a set of them? Thanks by the way!

Sure. Call Green Sales Company. Ask for Bret. Tell him Jeff sent you:

http://www.greensalescompany.com

He has a few of the PS ones but I'm not sure how many DS ones he has left.

Part numbers should be as follows:

E7ZZ 6162649-A - LH Seat Latch Assy
    E7ZZ 6162648-A - RH Seat Latch Assy

I think. Haven't checked in a while.