Close

Default Conversation with Bivouac .Co principal

Well, finally tracked down one of the principals of Bivouac (name held on request as at first he seemed rather annoyed I found him), had a brief conversation (after finding out I am harmless) which answered most of my questions as seen below transcribed from the notes I was taking.....

Decided on a 2 seater "sports model" instead of the more common 4 seater conversions of the time some of which frightened him as far as engineering and safety went at that time.

They produced 133 Mustang convertible conversions in total, all but three built on a per order basis. He could not remember the breakdown, but stated the majority of them were 6cyl automatics.

No automatic equipped V8's were produced.

4 cars shipped to Hertz(6cyl cars) for evaluation (black with black cloth interior)

Convertible top material and pattern is based on the 1981-1982 Mercedes 280/380SL series, minor modifications to how the top was mounted based on their own design of top frame, but nothing drastic.

Bracing was all custom engineered, no patterns for these pieces survive today.

Door glass was the same used for the factory T-Top cars.

With the rumor of Cars and Concepts getting a contract with Ford to produce a "factory" Mustang convertible, their orders dried up and the company slowly moved on to other products............

He did not have much else to say on the car(s) other than it was an exciting time in the industry.

Bill S.

Great info! Thanks for hunting him down and giving us the build count.

Did he say that they built any other convertibles other than the Mustang?

Did he give you any timelines? I have only found 1982 model year Bivouac conversions. No '81s and no '83s.

Were all the tops power, or manual, or could either be odered?

Last edited by slimwhitman; 03-17-2010 at 11:55 AM.

1982 only, Mustang line only, manual top only.

Bill S.

Do you think that this car is a Bivouac??
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1653979117.html

FEP Power Member

Default Bivouac

Yes, that looks like one with the top storage compartment. It is not an ASC as it is too early. Thanks for the info on the Bivouac and the nice pictures.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by slimwhitman View Post
    Do you think that this car is a Bivouac??
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1653979117.html
    If it is, then it's an early one as the company co-owner told me they only produced them for one year (1982). I do know that there were three companies that used the same "lid" for the convertible top well. The only real way to tell is to remove the rear seat trim panel and take pictures of the cross bracing as the Bivouac is unique in design and configuration.

Bill S.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    If it is, then it's an early one as the company co-owner told me they only produced them for one year (1982). I do know that there were three companies that used the same "lid" for the convertible top well. The only real way to tell is to remove the rear seat trim panel and take pictures of the cross bracing as the Bivouac is unique in design and configuration.

Bill S.
    I have contacted the owner to see if he has any info on it or knows the builder.

You state that 3 companies used that lid. Can you tell us what three companies they were?

daddyll13

Angry 82 Mustang Bivouac Conversion

Has anyone had to change the convertible top on one of these cars? I read that you could use the 82 280SL Mercedes pattern. I also heard that you have to have it custom made. Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by daddyll13 View Post
    Has anyone had to change the convertible top on one of these cars? I read that you could use the 82 280SL Mercedes pattern. I also heard that you have to have it custom made. Help Please
    I have read that "Mercedes" comment about many coach built tops, but I doubt that is true. I think they are referring to the material being the same, not the pattern. As time goes on, the story gets mixed up.

I have no personal experience with this specific top, but that is my assumption.

bclarkb

I have just about finished the re-modeling of my 1982 Ford Mustange to the original color, seats, and top (top was sent to a man to use existing top as a pattern. With the top done---I am finished. bclarkb

Quote Originally Posted by daddyll13 View Post
    Pattern is for the Mercedes, but still needs to be custom fit to the frame/car.

Bill S.

I own this '82 Bivouac Mustang. I would like to know if any others exist, as I have been unable to locate others, and also have limited information regarding the history behind mine. I have all the original brochures and sales invoices. >>>>scroll three fourths way to the bottom.

Default 1982 Mustang Bivouac

Heres the pic, sorry. I'm new to this computer stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BivouacOwner View Post
    Heres the pic, sorry. I'm new to this computer stuff!
    Unfortunately nobody answered your questions. But I would like to see some more pictures of your car :-) , I would very appreciate this!

May you could introduce yourself in the General BS section : http://vb.foureyedpride.com/forumdis...-Introductions . Where do you live, how and when did you get this marvellous car etc.

thanks, Pete
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

The last time he logged in was day of post, so prob wont get an answer to your request.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

I now own theblue 82 bivouac pictured above- fun to catch up on these discussions!

Default Father owned 1982 Red one with 5.0L and Stick Shift

Quote Originally Posted by iraharber View Post
    I now own theblue 82 bivouac pictured above- fun to catch up on these discussions!

My dad owned this one 4-spd stick 5.0L Red. Name:  dads car bigger.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  49.9 KB

Very Respectfully,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by libergm View Post
    My dad owned this one 4-spd stick 5.0L Red. Name:  dads car bigger.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  49.9 KB

Very Respectfully,
    Gary
    Nice,

I love vintage pictures.....Any idea whatever happened to his car?..

Bill S.