Close

Default Aero A/C dash unit in a 4I?

Hey guys i'm getting a 87+ convertible this week for parts and i think it has a good a/c dash housing (sorry I dont have the proper name for it lol) and I want to put it in my 85 GT but i dont know if they're the same. I would compare the 2 but I dont have the old one for my 85 so I cant check. If anyone knows let me know.

Thank
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

Well that bites/ I guess I could just trade for an early one.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.

Wait a minute if all I have to do is use the newer dash ducts then im all set right? I hope so cause I want to put my dash back in but i dont want to have to pull it out again to put the box in.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Yes the box will fit. You need the vacuum control lines that connect to the switch and the blend door cable off the parts car if you do not have those from the old box. If the car originally had a/c, then the old duct work may match up but save the pieces of duct work from the parts car in case you need them.

Ok yeah she had A/C but when I took the box out it fell in 2 pieces. I have one half but i think i threw the other half away im not sure. I'll make sure to keep everything and i'll post up if i can get it to work good.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Are you wanting to use the '87+ HVAC unit in your '85? Or the whole '87+ dash?

The HVAC boxes changed somewhere around '82 or '83 to eliminate the heater airflow
    restrictor door. There was also a change made to the mounting for the blend door cable,
    but I'm not clear when that happened. The early blend cable had the same style clips
    at both ends. The later cable has a round mounting at the heater box end.

I don't believe the boxes changed again for the aero-nose cars, just the ductwork,
    which is separate.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Just the heater box I will never put an aero dash in a 4I (I like the aero interiors but for some reason it just doesnt look right in a 4I for me). I was comparin pics of the ones kj_80cobra posted on the thread he did and pics of a unit from a 86 that a guy posted pics of and they both look the same minus the floor vents (I think i have them from the old unit).

The guy was plannin on comin today with the car but he never called . I guess I shouldnt be mad he is deliverin the car i just want to get some work done. Cant put the dash in the gt cause i dont have the heater box, cant put any interior in cause i dont have the top etc. Hopefulley he can get here tomorow cause im gonna be busy saturday.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5