Close

Default body side molding

i took them off the car and took the metal backing off they seem to have shrunk can i stretch them? it is a 85 gt

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Yes. There have been some instances where members here have been able to successfully stretch them back out. I've read feeback from one member where he attached a small barbell to the molding and hung it the distance that he wanted to stretch it from the floor and as soon as the barbell hit the floor, it was to the correct length. I cannot remember which member of this site did that and he didn't post pic's. Hopefull some others can chime in.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I've tried this on a donor set. The barbell process works somewhat. You'll want to be careful of stretching them too far.

The best way to get this to work is take the removed strip and measure it for length, or measure your doors outright. Get a local sheet metal shop to make you a new strip with 18 gauge steel. Take your garage (if you have one) and heat it to 100-110 degrees with the strips in it. I did this using a portable 50,000 btu propane heater. It's hella hot but it works.

Once the strips are malleable, stretch them by hand and slide the new strips into the trim. You're done at this point.

Banned

I don't understand why nobody's making new ones .

And I don't understand why its so hard to find a Dk Emerald Green convertible with tan interior Nice ride man....and if that is factory paint (or even repainted factory OEM color), that is sweet
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    And I don't understand why its so hard to find a Dk Emerald Green convertible with tan interior Nice ride man....and if that is factory paint (or even repainted factory OEM color), that is sweet
    4E Dark Sage .Original paint,it has scratches/dings but still shines good.

ttttttt

hoe would you attach barbell

Quote Originally Posted by my85mustanggt View Post
    hoe would you attach barbell
    Not sure but I know it hurt like a mother when I tried it out.

Honestly, I don't know how successful stretching them back out is. I would get them good and hot this summer before putting them back on. Either live with the shrinkage or find replacements.

-Mike