Close

Thread: carriage roof

Default carriage roof

Hello,n00b here. I just bought an 81 Ghia notch. The car is very solid and has the 3.3 auto. 27,935 original miles. The problem is it has that HIDEOUS white carriage roof. Has anyone ever removed one of these? Is there any difference underneath from a normal notch? I know I'll have to fill some holes and locate some sail panels. How much of a PITA is this going to be, lol. All I know is the roof HAS to go.

Welcome to FEP. I've only removed a vinyl top from an LTD, but it shouldn't be too hard but, it's been so long ago I can't remember how I did it.

I would assume the roof skin itself is the same. By the way pictures are very much appreciated on this site.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

those are rare today, i know you can dye them a different color
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Yeah, very rare. You should keep it and restore it. If not, make sure you hang onto the parts.

It should be the same, I've seen a number of cars with the landau top removed or hanging. NOrmally they can be unpainted under it. If there was ever a difference besides holes for the trim would be like in the case of a limo or hearse; having no roof skin under it.

The rear trim for the roof is screwed on, so those holes will need to be filled. As far as I can tell it seems like there is a hard plastic underneath the cloth also. My biggest concern is the a-pillars. It has those fat moldings like a vert. They look the same as my brothers 86gt has. Anyone know how these are attached? Will I need to get windshield trim/moulding from a hardtop?

I'm going to hang onto all the stuff, I just can't stand the look of the roof. I really wish it was the vinyl roof instead of the carriage. I'm really not interested in restoring it. It's just not my style. It's Chamois [beige] with a white carriage roof, and caramel leather. The interior is all original and nice aside from the cracked dashpad, so that I will leave alone.

My current plan is to get it road worthy in it's stock form [aside from putting on 10 holes] ,and drive it for the summer. Eventually the roof is coming off and it's getting a color change and a V8. I'd also like to put an 82 GT style hood scoop on it.

Love the site btw, it's a great wealth of info, and has given me many ideas about what I want to do with the car. I had only seen a handful of pre-83 four eyes before going through the pics here. I'll have pics of it up soon. It's in my brothers garage right now next to his 86gt vert. He goes by Chris81579 on here.

I agree with Mike. Time for a restoration.I haven't seen a carriage roof in a long looong time.

I guess the carriage roof is rare, but who in the world wants one?????? If I'm going to put in the effort I'm going to make something I like. It's a catch 22 cause it's soo original and documented it's a perfect resto candidate. The stock form just isn't my cup of tea. Though I have considered going sleeper with it.

It's the cleanest and most solid 79-82 notch I came across so it's my slate. Any vert enthusiasts ever removed those a-pillar covers? I don't want to tear this up without knowing what I'm getting into.

Banned

exactly- you dont see them because theyre nasty looking. Im with you - take it off and dont look back.

FEP Member

pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentok View Post
    I guess the carriage roof is rare, but who in the world wants one??????
    If it was oem on my car, I would keep it.

-Mike

Please post some pictures I have never seen one before. Except for an old advertisement. Post some pics could be a cool sleeper! Build a stout motor and suspension put a scoop on it. Thats prob what I would do with it just because most havent seen one or seen one in a long time.

I would love to have a vinyl top.
    Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

*81 T-Top Notch

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

Your taste is your taste, personally I would leave it on unless it was all tattered and crappy looking. Your car will be unique and all those holes are just areas waiting to bubble up if you expose them.
    If you are set on taking it off, maybe do some other members a favor and take lots o pics so people can reverse engineer it when putting one on later.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by mercaprirs View Post
    Please post some pictures I have never seen one before. Except for an old advertisement. Post some pics could be a cool sleeper! Build a stout motor and suspension put a scoop on it. Thats prob what I would do with it just because most havent seen one or seen one in a long time.
    IF it's what I'm thinking it is, there are some one here. If it's a Landau top aka Opra top, it's just the rear half of the roof thats covered like some GM G-bodies and some Mopar K-Cars.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstang View Post
    exactly- you dont see them because theyre nasty looking. Im with you - take it off and dont look back.
    yes! i saw a red one with a white top online somewhere. just HIDEOUS! they don't belong on those cars at all.

cale

Yeah, post some pics. Maybe it was a dealer added thing and not Ford.

I know you don't like hearinf keep the rare option top but just don't take our minds. oo weee ooo.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Yeah, post some pics. Maybe it was a dealer added thing and not Ford.
    It's listed on the window sticker as a $643 option. I'll have some pics up by the weekend. The top isn't trashed, could use a good cleaning. From the records I have from the original owner the top was redone in 93 for $600. It's basically a pseudo convertible top. If it was a vinyl top I'd keep it. Those actually looked pretty cool on the 79-82 stangs.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstang View Post
    i agree. lose it
    own:
    1986 Mustang GT convertible 5-spd (#2)

previously owned:
    1978 Mustang II hatchback,t-top, auto, 302
    1985 Mustang GT hatchback, auto, t-top
    1986 Mustang GT hatchback, 5-spd, hardtop
    1986 Mustang GT convertible 5-spd (#1)
    1993 Mustang GT convertible 5-spd triple black
    1998 Mustang GT hardtop, auto