Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just have it set behind the console under the radio for right now.....still havent found a place for it yet.....I was gonna make a bracket and put it at an angel behind the radio if i remember right, i haven't touched it in 2 years.....been super busy with college.

A friend of mine has that same wiring harness I gonna try to work it off of him. I would much rather go that route of a swap harness then anything. Ya I am gonna haft to give it a good look over and see where I can put the computer. Then agian I am still betting on the glove box idea!
    Pride of the four eyed!

Thats where i put the relays and the inertia switch was in the glovebox for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra2.3 View Post
    Thats where i put the relays and the inertia switch was in the glovebox for right now.
    They should fit in the large hole under the passenger kick panel.

the swap harness that i used isn't long enough for that unfortunately.....thanks

Hey, I have the factory vacuum and electrical manual for the thunderbird if you need them.....

What year is the manual for?
    Pride of the four eyed!

its for a 87 tho, I can take some pics and send you some, I got a new camera and want to test it out.....send me your email and I can send some pics to you.

Did you get my email back? If not it is g_r_w16@hotmail.com
    Pride of the four eyed!

Yeah, I got it, haven't had a chance to dig up stuff with finals going on right now....I try to get to it this weekend for ya!!!

Hey no worries and no rush. Good luck on your finals!
    Pride of the four eyed!

Default 79 cobra bucktag

Hello, here is a pic of my bucktag and door sticker, going to do some research on it...Thanks....Well, time to start on rebuilding this again, I got interior all tore apart in it, for just now, want to get it road worthy and work out some drivetrain bugs and tune on it a bit. then i will get to the body work on it. thanks.

trx wheels
    aluminum drums
    metal front and rear bumpers ->car does not have original front bumper cover assymbly on it, but does not look wrecked or crinkled in any way in core support, inner fenders, ect
    no rear speakers-sadly no radio with car
    no air conditioning
    has rear defrost
    no power windows
    no power locks
    W code with 4 speed manual
    has 4-way adjustable seat
    no sunroof
    black sport buckets with cloth inserts.

thanks!!!
    Also on the bucktag, I have never seen another one to actually say "COBRA" on it. I've seen CBR on other threads i've been looking at for the last 2 hours. thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra2.3; 04-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.

That is interesting on the buck tag. I wonder if that was a San Jose plant thing only.

Quote Originally Posted by kj_80Cobra View Post
    That is interesting on the buck tag. I wonder if that was a San Jose plant thing only.
    thats what I was thinking, I will try and see if i can pull out my father's buck tag on his san jose 79 cobra tomorrow. I've scaned through alot of the info on this site and have not seen another one like this. thanks!!!!!

The early ('79 through around mid-'81) Buck Tags have very different codes than the later tags. Buck Tags from San Jose-built Mustangs and Capris are also very different than from those built in Dearborn.

Yes, the San Jose-built tags says "COBRA" instead of "CBR" on the the Dearborn-built tags.

Another example of a different code for the same option is the moonroof/sunroof.....San Jose = "MOON" and Dearborn = "MO".

Default door cobra inserts

also, i noticed today that the door panels don't have the threading like my father's cobra, more like the pace car door panels...both are san jose cars....interesting...anybody else seen anything like that? here is a pic of buck tag off my father's 79 moon cobra.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra2.3; 04-05-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Another example of a different code for the same option is the moonroof/sunroof.....San Jose = "MOON" and Dearborn = "MO".
    Correction:

'79 Dearborn-built cars with a moonroof/sunroof say "MR".
    '80+ Dearborn-built cars with a moonroof/sunroof say "MO".

Brock Manley: Ford Assembly Plant:
    I did hrs of research and found the most rare 1979 Mustang cobra ever produced Vin#9F03F110024. Ford factory upgrade to the HO 4V 302 V8 with new T5 manual transmission: The head of operation in 1979 ordered this car, had the entire car built minus a motorand transmission and kept it at the palnt. Then in late 1981 right before they made the 1982 GT, they already had the concept motor for the 1983 GT with the 4 barrel carb insted of the 2 barrel, the roller cam, the better intake, and the 5 speed transmission.......Well to make a long story short:: being the head of the plant he could pretty much do what he wanted ......he put this 1979 Mustang Cobra back through the assembley line and had the 302 H.O 4V and the 5speed tranny installed. This is the only 1979 Mustang Cobra in the world with a numbers matching 302 H.O 4V and numbers matching 5 speed.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystic04snake View Post
    Brock Manley: Ford Assembly Plant:
    I did hrs of research and found the most rare 1979 Mustang cobra ever produced Vin#9F03F110024. Ford factory upgrade to the HO 4V 302 V8 with new T5 manual transmission: The head of operation in 1979 ordered this car, had the entire car built minus a motorand transmission and kept it at the palnt. Then in late 1981 right before they made the 1982 GT, they already had the concept motor for the 1983 GT with the 4 barrel carb insted of the 2 barrel, the roller cam, the better intake, and the 5 speed transmission.......Well to make a long story short:: being the head of the plant he could pretty much do what he wanted ......he put this 1979 Mustang Cobra back through the assembley line and had the 302 H.O 4V and the 5speed tranny installed. This is the only 1979 Mustang Cobra in the world with a numbers matching 302 H.O 4V and numbers matching 5 speed.
    This is very interesting. Is there any proof of this and is the Cobra still around?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

This car would have to be epa certified,and a whole lot of other major hoops to jump thru to get a title, that being said: In Fords project and research labs (Ive been there in the 70's)this was done alot as test mules,with the timeline you post as being about right,NEVER on the assemby line. I question if this Cobra survives.

Sounds like a load of malarkey to me.

It is for sale on CL right now. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4077671224.html
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Supporter

It is for sale on CL right now. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4077671224.html
    Dang that's nice! I love that hood decal!

Name:  Cobra Hood Decal.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  51.9 KB
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 09-29-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Upped picture size

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm with you. Until proof is shown, I'll question it as well. The car's got Capri tail lights, aftermarket exhaust, SVO rear wings, and a braided radiator hose to name a few of the "modifications". It wouldn't surprise me if someone swapped in an '83 motor/tranny combo as well.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 09-29-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Right down the road from me.
    What timing for a sale.
    Something we all thought was long gone history.
    Looks well kept. Dash cover, decal, etc.
    Added mix and match parts i see.

No Ford badge on the grill?

So I know this post is ancient, but I used to own this exact car based on VIN. I don't know if you still own it but I'd love to chat with you about my experience with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast