Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1979 mustang Cobra 2.3 turbo how rare???

hello, I have had this cobra for about 2 years now. The vin is 9r03w106570. DSO of seattle washington. The car is black on black with orange graphics. This is a turbo-4 car with a 4-speed transmission. The car came with deluxe interior vinyl with cloth inserts, factory console, but came with a 4-way adjustable seat track for the driver. We've had four 79 cobra's over the years and I have never seen another car with this option. The car is also A/C delete with Rear defrost of course for washington climate....I didn't know if anybody has seen this before and any input would be greatly appreciated. Also this car does not have the rear speakers cut on the rear interior panels. I thought that was very unique b/c I have been around 4 eyed mustangs for all my life (I am 24) and have never seen this. I didn't know how rare this was. Also, does anybody make reproduction seat covers for these, I need a good drivers side seat cover, the rest of the seats look new. Or if anybody makes full door skins, the drivers door was hyperextended at one point in life, its a shame b/c the car is rust free everywhere!!!!. Any info would be greatly appreciated.....THANKS!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

my brother has a 79 white/blue cobra has the same type seat,,,,he listed as one of my friends in my profile

'Marti Reports' that we have seen so far have put the the 2.3T/4-speed combo at 21,984 (ALL hatchbacks) and the '79 Cobra at 17,579 (ALL engine combos and ALL colors). If you want a further breakdown as to how many '79 cobra came with the 2.3T/4-speed, or painted 1C, or with any combo of options you listed, you would have to pay by the hour for that research.

The 4-way adjustable driver-side seat was an option only in '79 and '80, and not a lot of owners report having it. FEP member Hissing Cobra had that option in his '79 Cobra.

Air conditioning was an option so if it wasn't ordered it wasn't ordered. It was not "deleted".

The (standard) AM radio and (optional) AM/FM mono radio didn't come with rear speakers or cut-outs.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-05-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added '80 for 4-way seat option
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks!!! and another thing, I've been reading that 79' Turbo cobras and pace cars are the only one's to get aluminum rear drums, this car still has them also!!! Very pleased, but did not get aluminum front and rear bumpers, I will have to check into it more when it gets warmer out, but i do have a set of aluminum front and rears that are going to go on the car when I paint it. This site is great with such knowledgeable people!!!!! I love it!!!

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Welcome to the site! Your Cobra looks very nice! I've changed the rearend of mine to a built 8.8 but I kept the original aluminum rear brake drums. They're still in awesome condition. Like Mick stated, mine does have the 4-way driver's seat which isn't too common. I have an aluminum front bumper but not the back, which is steel. Keep hanging around the site, you'll love it here!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I so need another 79 Cobra...Anyhoo, my old 79 had both aluminum bumpers and brake drums. It was a 302 4spd. It also had a rear wiper. I do miss that car so.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Thanks, I read your story how you talked to the original owner!!!!! Super story....anyhow, this car was the first driver for four 16 year old boys. It had just a plain 2.3 litre in it when i got it, no turbo, long gone, but I got a 87 thunderbird turbo coupe drivetrain and put in it with a quality auto specialties 2.3 turbo swap harness. Runs real strong, I had to keep it a "w" code......Does anybody know how many san jose cars are built vs dearborn? I read somewhere that 101,000 were built in san jose of total mustangs produced, is that true? I figure more would be built in dearborn. I've read a bunch of posts. what do you think of getting a marti report right now? Thanks!!

That figure of 101,000 built at San Jose Assembly is approximate and that is out of a total of about 370,000 built for that model year, so there were about 269,000 built at Dearborn Assembly.

I would recommend a Marti Report. I purchased one for my Cobra. Those give you alot of info for the money.

So Jason, I guess you're keeping the Cobra then?
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Yes, I am, I was thinkin' bout selling it, but I am really liking the car now once i got doing some more research on it, this is a great site.....I will post some more pics once i get home, I had a bright blue (baby blue) 80 cobra i traded for a 82 firebird s/e...wish i would have kept it. I will post some pics of that too on the picture pages....I should be doing work right now...lol....

Well, i do have the wiring buttoned up from these pictures....but there is my progress, It runs really really strong, haven't had it on the road yet, but it you hear that turbo whistle. Just got to do body work and find a good used seat cover!!! Thanks....last pic is my father's 79 cobra san jose built "f" code car and my 83 Mustang GT.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra2.3; 03-05-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Looks like you'll be needing a dash pad as well. What brakes does she have?
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

yes, the pad would be perfect too if it wasn't for kids and thier radios and speakers...lol, it has the small brakes on it, I think i might upgrade to the bigger spindles, i have a set off another 79 cobra f code i got for parts.....I think i will order my marti report here this monday or so, then i will post when i get it!!! and also, my father is wanting a marti report on his 79 cobra too.....see what they say!!!!!

Hey, i have another question? I have seen early cars come with chrome/stainless steel roof trim and headlight bezels.....Did the later year cars come with black trim pieces for these areas on the roof rail and bezels? My father did own a august built 78, 79 mustang cobra and it was all original paint with these chrome/ss trim. Thanks, I will have to go out and check, I think mine is a 11/78 car, but i can't remember, haven't looked at the door in a year....

NIce cobra. I have a 1980 that I am finishing with all 88 tc drivetrain.
    Pride of the four eyed!

really, did you use a swap harness or made your own? I got one from quality auto specialties off of ebay, super nice harness, only thing i didn't like about it is that the fans run all the time on it, so i have to put a toggle in between with a relay. What computer are you using for it? I have an LA2 in mine right now, but plan on getting a LA3off of an 88tc or a PE off an SVO. I assume you are using t-5 with it too. I want a good reliable driver in low 14's or so, more of a show car i can have some fun with.

I am using a turbo gt or rs capri harness. I saw you got urs from there seem like it was straight forward for you lol. The only thing holding back is the plug that is suppose to plug into the drivers side main car harness i dont have the schematics on that yet. I am using the LA3 yup and T-5. the only mods I want to do is tubular control arms, with front mount and exhaust.
    Pride of the four eyed!

I am descent with wiring, i could have made it myself, but would have took a lot of time and I needed that car out of here....I had some extra money and it looked professional....The wiring harness was all plug and play, just had to move the wiring for the alternator, coil, and batter to driver side.....I just wish it had the temp sensor stuff for the electric fans to shut them on and off....I'm just going to put in a switch, i'd rather have that anyway on them......its integrated in the relay system, just the sensor don't turn them on or off.....

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0LGary View Post
    i dont have the schematics on that yet.
    Gary,
    In case you hadn't noticed, the wiring schematics are posted on this site.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=50010

Thanks for the info to help in wiring up a newer harness in this thing. I cant wait to get it home and finish it. Just picked me up a set of 17in cobra wheels for it. 79mustangcobra2.3 where did you locate your eec at?
    Pride of the four eyed!

I am putting the EEC in the glove box. I don't think there will be room anywhere else since the ac/heater box is so big.

Ya i was thinking about customizing my glove box to put it in there. Where else could you possibly put it? Mine is a non a/c car.
    Pride of the four eyed!

The heater only box is considerably smaller. You should have room to put it on top of the heater box.

Ill haft to check it out then.
    Pride of the four eyed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast