Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 93' Cobra Brake Booster - Cardone

My brake booster is dead and I am looking to replace. I have a Baer claw kit on my 86' (the FM-2300k-killer kit) which retains your original stock booster and comes with an upgraded master cylinder....anyways....

I was thinking of upgrading to the 93 cobra brake booster (8 3/4" diaphragm) because its bigger and I was told by Baer this morning that this would be a nice upgrade.

My question is, has anybody any experience using this booster with this kit, AND, remanufactured car parts from Cardone? NAPA auto parts here in town are using Cardone parts and I am not sure of their reputation.

Booster part number:
    http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/...cat/bypart.asp

thanks
    1986 Capri RS w/ FRPP Z347BOSS crate

2011 F-150 SCREW ecoBoost FX4

Not sure, but where did you pick up the FM-2300k?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Cardone parts are fine. They have been around a while.
    http://www.cardone.com/english/club/

FEP Super Member

i had a reman 93 cobra MC in my 87 and it worked great... dont most 4eyes require making clearance at the strut tower for the 87+ booster and MC??
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

Yes, you will have to clearance the shock tower to clear the '93 Cobra booster. It took me a couple of hours of tap tap tapping with a ball peen hammer on my '85 strut tower but I was trying to go slow and not go too far or screw it up.

I have an A1-Cardone SN95 booster on my Fairmont and I had to dent the spring tower a little bit. I have the Baer 13" Fox kit and the new booster made a big difference in the way it stops. I was surprised it didn't come painted. It was bare metal when I got mine. The mounting bolts might be metric too. Mine were so I would check it out before you try and install it and the old nuts don't work. Good luck, Ken.
    1975 Bronco (needs lots of work)

Two 1978 Fairmonts
    One not so nice and the yellow one
    5.0 fuelie
    31 spline 9"
    4.11 gears
    T-56
    Baer 13" brakes
    11.3" Crown Vic rear discs
    1993 Mustang dash, console
    18X10 w/305/45 Nitto 555Rs
    17X8 w/245/45 Nitto 555s

1953 C500 COE
    2006 F550 drivetrain

602-525-4474

indeed, the 4 eye cars have less clearance. Take your time, do it right. Don't **** it up with a BFH
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

how much clearance are we talking about here? I just had teh entire car painted and the last thing i want to do is take a hammer to fresh paint in the engine bay. Are there any other options out there besides this? What about an SN-95 booster in the fox? Same story?

Yes the SN95 booster is large also and requires massaging the strut tower and probably slotting the mounting holes. You will have to dent in the strut tower in an area about 4" x 4". I am not sure the total depth of the dent that I did on mine and it is hard to see in pictures. It will be tough to do without messing up that new paint. I did mine before spraying the primer. Here is a couple pictures of my 94 Cobra booster install.

Nice. It's too bad this is not going to work for me, I know I would get a nice upgrade using that booster. So what did FORD do to the strut tower on the 93'??? I guess they "modified" it as well to get that booster in there.

the front end configuration changed more than once...not completely sure how they did it, but it resulted in the strut towers being further away from the firewall. 87 was the first time they did it, as that booster will slide into an 87 car without having to clearance.

in 93 maybe even a little earlier, the clearance is even a little better.

Don't stress out over it too much...my 66 mustang has the same motor you all are running but behind a single resevoir master cylinder and NO power brakes, and i'm used to it now. Just upgrade you brakes and learn to put more force on the brake pedal..you'll get used to it. I did.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Cardone is one of, if not the largest re-manufacturer of automotive parts in this country, and operates in Canada and Europe as well. They sell to NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Car Quest, etc. as well as the OE manufacturers. They operate out of over 20 plants in Philadelphia (the largest private employer in the city), and have additional plants in Mexico. Some of their parts are actually improved in the re-manufacturing process if they find a way to correct a known problem with a part.
    My dad has worked for the company for over 10 years now in various departments and has been very happy with his experience there. I have used many of their parts on several vehicles and have never had a problem (and my dad gets a nice discount!).
    Hope this helps!
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu4w_5P284
    Originally a 4 cyl / auto car; now has an '87 Roller motor topped by a Weiand Action Plus and a Holley 600; backed by a rebuit T-5. Also has shorty headers, an off road X-pipe, and a MAC cat back exhaust.
    Still needs paint (Medium Canyon Red Metallic) and interior work (Sand Beige). Would like to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well...
    **SIGH** So much to do, so little time (and money!)

I put the same booster in my 86 Vert and had to massage the strut tower area. No big deal, just took time, like two days, little by little. I too was discouraged by using hammers and messing up the paint, but I got it done and used a spray paint of the same color and it is almost impossible to tell a difference with the booster in. What a great difference in braking

My brake booster is dead and I am looking to replace. I have a Baer claw kit on my 86' (the FM-2300k-killer kit) which retains your original stock booster and comes with an upgraded master cylinder....anyways....

I was thinking of upgrading to the 93 cobra brake booster (8 3/4" diaphragm) because its bigger and I was told by Baer this morning that this would be a nice upgrade.
    If you were happy with the brake 'feel'/effort before, I wouldn't bother changing it. Bear may call it an 'upgrade', but all that will change is pedal effort (and maybe a very slight change in linearity) by changing to a different booster.

Mine slipped right in on my 91 w/o having to clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by 89GT89 View Post
    Mine slipped right in on my 91 w/o having to clearance.
    1991-93 are different.

One thing the OP could try is get a coated (vinyl) dead blow hammer and use this to dent in the strut tower with a towel over the area to also aid in protecting the paint. I've got one I got from Snap-On when I was a tech, I think it weighs about five pounds.

I put a SN95 booster in my 86 wiithout touching the towers, just elongated the mounting holes and worked it in.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I did the same thing with my 79 Pace Car, it has a M2300 95 Cobra Booster in it, I dented the shock tower just a bit, not much, and elongated the holes a bit, I also used a 93 Cobra brake valve, and Bullitt Calipers on all 4 corners, it is the best stopping fox I have ever driven to date!

I have 3 93 Cobras and their Booster is Smaller thatn the 2300K booster quite a bit. The 93 Booster fit in place without any modifications to the tower, but my Buddy had a brand new 95 Cobra 2300K booster so I used it.
    1979 Pace car
    1985 GT
    1993 Cobra #4993, Last 93 Cobra Builit
    1995 Cobra #1670 Bought
    2009 GT500KR #173
    And a few other's

I just pulled the 84 booster and MC from my Capri, and installed a 93 booster/MC setup, and didn't need to massage the tower or elongate the holes. It just slipped right into place.

i installed 93 cobra booster from centric. i had to elongate the holes on firewall. was using hammer but taking too long to clearance the strut tower. so i used my air hammer with round hammer bit took like 15 min.
    85GT CHP Street Fighter Kit 306 9.5:1
    AFR 165cc, Weiand Stealth Intake, flowtechinduction custom grind cam, 650 dp Holley

85GT CHP Street Fighter Kit 306 9.5:1
    AFR 165cc, Weiand Stealth Intake, flowtechinduction custom grind cam, 650 dp Holley

Once installed you will not see anything. I had to tweak mine some on my 86 when I put in the M2300k kit 12 years ago. The brakes are great BTW. You will love the set-up.
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

86 50CPRI

Question about the length of the studs sticking into the passenger compartment...How much of this length is needed when all the bracketry is installed under the dash? Would it be beneficial to shorten the studs to make it easier to fit? The photo in post # 9 makes them look way long.

Back from the dead... Would it help to shorten the booster studs? If so, by how much? I'm going to install a 93 Cobra booster and m/c.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast