Close

Default Neutral Safety Switch T-5 Swap

I just swapped in my T-5 and have a problem. The plug that used to go into my neutral safety switch on my C4 now is not connected to anything, and when I try to turn it over it does nothing. I don't even get a click. I have a feeling I need to do something with that plug since the C4 needed it and the T-5 doesn't. What do I do with it?
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Member

Take the neutral safty switch plug wire off the auto transmission and plug it in under the car... Then figure out what wires are which. Be careful because when I did it,the car started when the key on. I didnt even have to turn the key over. So it might be a good idea to get a buddy to help yah. I hope this helps...

You could tie the two wires into just about anything.....even a push button start or set up a brake light style switch so that the car wont start unless the clutch is pushed in
    or for security you could hide a switch somewhere in the car as a theft deterant. on it starts off it wont LOL good luck
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by 81Mustang View Post
    Take the neutral safty switch plug wire off the auto transmission and plug it in under the car... Then figure out what wires are which. Be careful because when I did it,the car started when the key on. I didnt even have to turn the key over. So it might be a good idea to get a buddy to help yah. I hope this helps...

Okay so after I plug in my old auto plug and figure out which wires are which, what do I do with them? I could wire up a separate switch inside the car as theemustangman had said, however i'm much more interested in just completing the circuits somehow. Maybe I can loop a wire somewhere?

Also, there is a two-prong plug on the side of my tranny, is that for my reverse lights?
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Red face

I actually may have something here, but I'm not sure.

I plugged in my Neutral Safety Switch off my auto and made sure the switch was in park to try and trick my system, but nothing happened still when I turned the key.

However, I jumped my solenoid and it turned over nicely. My question: If it turns over when jumping the solenoid does that mean I have my Safet Switch wired in correctly, or has it been bypassed?

Before I jumped the solenoid I checked my volts on the posts. From negative to bottom post (from batter) on solenoid I had about 12.5, and then from negative battery to top post (to starter) I had nothing. No volts on the starter either.

I am going to replace my voltage regulator to see if that changes anything, plus it has never been changed. What do you think?

Is my switch wired in properly? If I replace my voltage regulator and still nothing happens when I turn they key would you advise me to run a wire straight from my ignition to my solenoid?

I'm so so close, I just need a little more help
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Member

Okay, No, When I did the swap, I could still roll it over from the solenoid and not the key... You need to still play with the four wires on the netural saftey switch. Once you have the right wires together it will start off the key. You can bypass from the sloenoid at any time... And yes the two-prong plug is for your reverse lights.

Quote Originally Posted by 81Mustang View Post
    Okay, No, When I did the swap, I could still roll it over from the solenoid and not the key... You need to still play with the four wires on the netural saftey switch. Once you have the right wires together it will start off the key. You can bypass from the sloenoid at any time... And yes the two-prong plug is for your reverse lights.
    Alright I of the four wires for the NSS I have two red/lt blue, one white/purple, and one blk/pnk. I crossed the white and purple one with ONE of the red/lt blue wires and the car turns over when in the ON position, not START. I connected it to the other red/lt blue wire and then the key did absolutely nothing.

The car would crank over when the key is just in the ON position without the clutch in or anything. Any ideas??
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Member

Yeah, My clutch pedal doesnt need to be pushed in to start my car... There is two ways to cross the wires under there... one way will make your car start if the key is just ahead like on the acc you not need to turn it over and it will try and roll over. The other way is that you need to turn the key over to get it to start. Just keep frigen with thoses wires.... Let me know how you make out...

I figured it out. My car now starts with the key as it normally should. I still have a back up light issue and my clutch pedal....but those are for a later date.

Tomorrow will be the day I fire it up and drive my Zephyr for the first time in nearly two years. Just a little spark, just a little gas and just a little tuning and we'll be heading down the raod.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my issues, whether they be dumb or valid.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Member

No problem.... Anytime...

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    Alright I of the four wires for the NSS I have two red/lt blue, one white/purple, and one blk/pnk. I crossed the white and purple one with ONE of the red/lt blue wires and the car turns over when in the ON position, not START. I connected it to the other red/lt blue wire and then the key did absolutely nothing.

The car would crank over when the key is just in the ON position without the clutch in or anything. Any ideas??

Ummm...

All you need to do is loop the red/lt blue wires togehter...

Think about it for a sec. The red/lt blue wire comes into the switch. When the switch is closed, the circuit is completed through the other red/lt blue wire. Think harder, and you'll remember that the switched 12V lead to the starter solenoid is also the same red/lt blue wire...it's the same circuit.

If you look at the same connector on a manual car, all there is is a loop of wire (red/lt blue). Either find the connector from a manual car, or cut the auto one apart and use what you need to complete your circuits. The reverse lights are also on that connector. Don't remember the color though. I think it's the wh/pu one. Easy enough to check though.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon