Close

FEP Senior Member

Default 85/86 ACME seat covers

I wanted to know if anyone has used or seen in person the ACME reproduction seat covers for the 85/86 GT style seats. It seems to me that the TMI version is pushed by quite a few vendors but I am not thrilled with their version. Any info on the ACME covers would be appreciated. I would like to know what website sells them as I know they will not sell direct.

FEP Senior Member

The center section looks blue, not 'Charcoal' like it should be, and the outer section looks darker than the original.

Besides the color being off, the outside fabric has the wrong "texture", and the red piping is in the wrong place.
    85 McLaren Capri Coupe -Blue/orange, 5 spd, sunroof

05 GT -5 spd, Supercharged

Please don't call them seat covers. Seat covers are what you get at Walmart. It is really called seat upholstery.

-Mike

FYI, call/contact FMR and ask if they have seen the ACME ones. My guess is that he's checked it out. If FMR doesn't carry it...you probably don't want it.

The fabric samples I got from FMR look very nice. Definitely what I'll be using.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Cool ACME QUALITY.

Have been buying Convertible Roofs, Roof Glasses, Headliners, including Convertible Headliners, when they were making them, Corvette/Mopar Upholstery and various other products from Acme in Long Beach ( Hello Mercedes) for over twelve or so years.

To be honest I or the Upholsterers here in Australia fitting these items, have never had a problem with the Quality or Fit of thier products.

I have all there fabric samples and in everthing that I have bought the fabric match seems to be extremely close or spot on.

All my Mustang upholstery usually comes through my wholesalers in the U.S. and is TMI or Distinctive Industries purely based on price, so have no experience with Acme's cloth Fox Upholstery.

Quality of all three brands is much the same with colours varying due to different dye lots no matter which manufacturer.

Acme, despite their Road Runner name, have been around a long time.
    Last edited by Ausfox; 02-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    CURRENT RIDES AND PROJECTS
    1979 Pace Car 15,000 miles
    Canadian 1979 Pace Car
    1991 GT Convertible RHD(SOLD)
    Sept 17th 1964 Mustang Fastback Quad Cam 4.6 RHD
    1965 Mustang Coupe. 5 Litre AOD RHD
    1960 Thunderbird, 1963 Thunderbird (SOLD)
    1968 AMX Group 19 390 RHD
    1977 Hornet AMX 304, 1980 Spirit AMX 360
    2010 FG XR6 PHANTOM Falcon Ute

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

Wil E Coyote said with ACME upholstery you're good to go.
    Automatics are for girls

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Please don't call them seat covers. Seat covers are what you get at Walmart. It is really called seat upholstery.

-Mike
    I just checked some New Old Stock (NOS) upholstery I have and Ford indeed called them "covers".

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Speedfreak View Post
    Wil E Coyote said with ACME upholstery you're good to go.
    LOL!

It's 1961 all over again...