Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    That would get you to 62% restored.
    Which is 96% equal to every other "restored" car out there.
    85 McLaren Capri Coupe -Blue/orange, 5 spd, sunroof

05 GT -5 spd, Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by 19COBRA93 View Post
    Which is 96% equal to every other "restored" car out there.
    You're right on the mark there. To put this into perspective, what would a restored GT500 (95% original) go for at Barrett Jackson? How about the same car as a "resto-mod"?

Answer: about half as much, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    The deal about adding the trim after the fact is that the car's paint and bodywork is already done. So, someone will be paying, no matter what, a healthy amount of money for the car, and then will have to decide what to do about the trim. Install and then paint the bumper cover trim black? Install and have the trim painted body color? What about getting the match right? It's a harder thing to match rubbery plastic stuff to an already painted car than it is a piece of sheetmetal. It adds another layer of cost to consider when purchasing the car.
    Great point! This is the type of info. that helps.... just things that you don't think about...

Are the fender and quarter panel moldings on the '82 hard plastic like my '86? If so, looks like someone filled in the holes where the molding post would slip through for the backing nut to attach to, correct? If that's the case, I'd probably re-drill those holes and attempt to paint match the fender and quarter panel molding to body color and leave the soft molding off the car.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Banned

Its definatly a resto mod and not restored but it looks very nice. I dont think the price is out of line. Ive got more than that into a bare roller that still needs paint!

Sorry guys, I should have known better than to title the thread as "fully restored," it's my fault for using a misleading title, which has led to some banter about the type of restoration. Hind sight is always 20/20, right!?

Any Mod want to change the thread title to "Considering resto-mod '82GT - Need Advice," please do so.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Banned

You're right on the mark there. To put this into perspective, what would a restored GT500 (95% original) go for at Barrett Jackson? How about the same car as a "resto-mod"?

Answer: about half as much, if that.

True, but there is a market for restored classic mustangs. There is not for foxbodys. If there was a market for our cars- the price of a restored car would be over what it cost to restore a car. Ive seen plenty of cars with TASTEFUL mods sell for as much as any restored car. I guess im trying to say the price of this car isnt high- the price of a similar restored car is low.

It was actually a good discussion. That being said, take a look at what you can get for less than $4200 and it's in nearly the same car. Needs a little interior work and TLC but you get the idea:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1602708096.html

Banned

I'd deff. call it a resto-mod.As for the price i'd say it's very fair for the detailed resto it is.I hope you get it and bring it to Marks's on Monday's .

Banned

theyre both 82Gt's and they are both 24 red but I would say those cars look to be in WAAAAAY different leauges.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstang View Post
    theyre both 82Gt's and they are both 24 red but I would say those cars look to be in WAAAAAY different leauges.
    They're not that far apart believe it or not. I can grab the one for $3500, add about $3K worth of paint, parts, and effort, and it would be pretty close to "restored".

Don't forget that paint and buffing masks a lot of shortcuts.

You're right on the mark there. .
    Well, that's kind of my point. 96% (<---This is a made up number) of all "restored" cars out there, that are considered "restored", are done to the same degree as this one. Which is, as you say, about 62% correct. So when I say this car is "restored", I'm simply comparing it to all the other "restored" cars out there.

Most "restored" classics, and muscle cars have been "restored" to better than original, with aftermarket or reproduction parts, but are still considered restored. The cars that were restored with all original or NOS parts are considered a concours restoration, which is a different type of restoration.

I know there's a fine line between what's considered restomod and restored, and we can probably argue it til we're blue in the face, but the fact is, this car here is a very nice example of an '82 GT that, IMO, is worth the asking price.
    Last edited by 19COBRA93; 02-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Banned

I didnt want to argue about restored- I also believe restored is all original, correct, rebuilt as new. I was arguing whether the price of that car should be less than it is for being a resto-mod. I just think its a nice, tasteful, clean, detailed car that probably has just under 20 into it so 10 isnt a bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    Great point! Are the fender and quarter panel moldings on the '82 hard plastic like my '86? If so, looks like someone filled in the holes where the molding post would slip through for the backing nut to attach to, correct? If that's the case, I'd probably re-drill those holes and attempt to paint match the fender and quarter panel molding to body color and leave the soft molding off the car.
    All the body side moldings should be rubber with double sided adhesive tape. So they didn't fill any holes like on the 85/86 body sides.

All you have to do is paint the front/rear bumpers with the appropriate paint (after proper prep and mask).

Nice car BTW. I've saved the pics for reference when I start working on mine

Good luck with what ever way you go (and if you do buy it, I need to take a ride over to Enfield and see it in person )

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Then they are not restored. And as far as "value" is concerned, they will suffer, regardless as to how much care was put into it.

Here's what $4K gets you in the 4 eyed world:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I put $5K into that one and it's fully restored right down to the factory floor mats.

Banned

Yep- in the fox world a resto mod probably is worth more than restored. Look at the pace cars- Toms could probably pull more money than any of the 100% restored cars out there. Point blank- the average person looking to buy a fox wants a fun car, hes not looking to retire off of it.

edited- dont get me wrong- I would LOVE a restored 85 GT and I hope some day the prices do rise (after I get mine)
    Last edited by twistedstang; 02-25-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Yep- in the fox world a resto mod probably is worth more than restored. Look at the pace cars- Toms could probably pull more money than any of the 100% restored cars out there. Point blank- the average person looking to buy a fox wants a fun car, hes not looking to retire off of it.
    Not everyone wants a resto-mod, especially ex-owners. Some want to re-live the old days when they had one off the showroom floor or a had a used factory original. There is a definite charm to having one, and that's why you see low mileage ones fetch anywhere between $12K and $22K where resto-mods struggle to break $10K each and every time.

There is also something else to consider. Many resto-mods have emissions removed, making them very difficult to register in the western half of the country. That being said it's always a challenge when the original carb is missing, all the lines are gone, and it's got the rearend "Kootie Stank".

Banned

I agree with you 90%- Im just saying I believe restored prices on a fox are WAY low for what they should be... guys are spending 20, 30 thousand to restore a car that can sell for 12-22. What I was also trying to say is I dont believe prices are low for a modded car- Toms pace car was my example- its a resto mod that I believe could pull way more than a nice restored car. My example for a 85- brianshops, car- I see that selling for more than a restored 85 GT. I think it has to do with the buyers. Most are younger, looking for a fast ride. There arent that many people (yet) looking to spend on a nos ride they cant drive without price getting hurt. What happens when you drive a restored nos car- the price drops. My original intent was to say these shouldnt be compared to the old shelbys and the barret -jackson rule of thumb----resto-mod = 1/2 of restored value. Thats all.

My original intent was to say these shouldnt be compared to the old shelbys and the barret -jackson rule of thumb----resto-mod = 1/2 of restored value. Thats all.
    This I agree with. Different league.

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

The only way that car is worth 10k to you is if it is exactly as you like it.If it is then go for it.If you want a car that MAY rise in value as I believe the 82' will in time then this car is not for you.
    To painstakingly bring one back to showroom depending on how far from decent it is when you start could easily cost $20k.It won't bring that when finished and there is your dilemna.
    If you like this car as it sits you have a good one in your hands.Just know if you have to dump it quick to raise funds you will most likely take a 3-4k hit.
    Best of luck on your choice and remember to live your dreams while others dream their lives!
    Automatics are for girls

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Speedfreak View Post
    The only way that car is worth 10k to you is if it is exactly as you like it.If it is then go for it.If you want a car that MAY rise in value as I believe the 82' will in time then this car is not for you.
    To painstakingly bring one back to showroom depending on how far from decent it is when you start could easily cost $20k.It won't bring that when finished and there is your dilemna.
    If you like this car as it sits you have a good one in your hands.Just know if you have to dump it quick to raise funds you will most likely take a 3-4k hit.
    Best of luck on your choice and remember to live your dreams while others dream their lives!

Sound advice. And to do a proper concours restoration, it can easly cost $40K, depending on the condition. These cars are not for collecting. Not yet anyway.

How difficult is it to find the missing moldings, at least the front fender moldings and rear qtr moldings?
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

i think it's well worth the money.You get a car ready to drive,love my capri but if i had to do it again i would find something along the line of what you have.i spent more than that to buy and fix mine.If you like it buy it and who cares what everyone else says it's your money.

I think it is a very nice car. The person who buys can call it what he wants. I'd call it personal restoration. He did it his way, the way he likes, and from what I read here a lot of thumbs up. I like it. A totally restored might not be enjoyed like we use our cars either driven or modified to our taste. Those cars mostly go only to shows or spend a lot of time in the garage. Fun huh! We change things we like. Maybe not in those restored guide lines. Quit splitting hairs.
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT 2nd owner
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS Canadian model 2nd owner

Had
    1966 GT 350
    1967 GT 500
    1980 Fairmont Futura Turbo 2nd ownerhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/3818362

Quote Originally Posted by 85bubblebackboy View Post
    yo, i think its mi nt looking and as long as you can verify all that was done and that it was done right then its definately a justified price in my book
    I agree with you there Brian. I can't even begin to say how much has gone into my notch and it feels like it will never be done. I'd buy that 82 in a heartbeat if it's a nice as it looks in those pics.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

Decisions... Decisions...

When I opened the thread I mentioned that there are a few fox Mustangs that I'd love to get my hands on... well, the '82GT certainly is one of them and I'd love to buy one that I can drive and enjoy, so this car pretty much fits the bill. The other fox Mustang that I'd like someday is a '93 Cobra that I can drive and enjoy, well, I stumbled onto one of those for not much more $ than this car and it's MINT! It has some tasteful mods, but could easily be returned to stock and comes with all stock parts and is fully documented...

What to do!? I just need to hit the lottery!
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast