Close

Default Fairmont engine swap help

I just found an 82 Fairmont Futura 2 door. It has a 200 CI and I am going to put in a 302. I have heard that this can be done with using truck motor mounts and possibly drilling holes to fit. My questions are: What year truck mounts to use? What other possible big problem with this swap? I have a 302 out of an 80's small motor home that is low mileage and ran good. Bought it for $150 bucks. We are going to put a dual plane intake and 4 barrel on it when it goes in the car. Can the stock automatic trans handle that or do I need to have it built or replaced? Thanks for any help. Ponyman

I seem to recall Stymee (the first person I know who've came up with using truck engine mounts to install a V8 in an I6 K-member Fox) used late '70's early '80s Ford F-150 302 engine mounts. He had a website and I think he requested all to PM him for the URL. I think his FEP login name is stymeesmont.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

73-79 bodystyle truck. 2WD, 4WD, left, right, all use the same mount. You'll need new nuts for them as well, the I6 used a different size.

You need to cut about 4.5" off the old K member, where the driver's side I6 mount sat, to make room for the oil filter. Be careful, dont cut into your steering rack. Cut the pass side as well, it may interfere with your accessory drive.

Put the truck mounts on the K member in the holes closest to the firewall. Tighten them down enough to where they dont fall off or over, but loose enough so you can still shift them around. Drop the motor on top of them.

The motor I put in mine had two studs for the motor mounts in the block (one on each side), these were a big help.

I would replace the trans. The I6 bellhousing wont bolt up to the 302.

Header fitment can be a problem since the 302 wont be in the same place as it would be if ford put it there. I think its a little lower, maybe a little further back. I used BBK un-equal length shorties on mine and had to dimple a tube to clear my steering shaft. Now I have the same motor and same headers in an 81 Zephyr (originally a 2.3) and have plenty of room between the header and steering shaft.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Default Engine swap in Fairmont

Thanks for the info. I have an 88 Thunderbird I was going to use as a donor car. Has the 302 EFI, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. I decided it was too good of a car to junk out. Has no rust or body damage and engine sounds really good. Pretty nice interior also. I am going to use the wheels and tires from it on the Futura. This is the first time I have attempted anything this big so I am sure I'll run into all kinds of problems. Thanks again

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ponyman View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have an 88 Thunderbird I was going to use as a donor car. Has the 302 EFI, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. I decided it was too good of a car to junk out. Has no rust or body damage and engine sounds really good. Pretty nice interior also. I am going to use the wheels and tires from it on the Futura. This is the first time I have attempted anything this big so I am sure I'll run into all kinds of problems. Thanks again
    Hey Poneyman,
    Just read up on your post here, if you need more info or pictures just let me know. Send me a PM and I can set you up...dont think the Moderators like it if I post my web site on here with all the info.