Close

Default Problem with headlights

Hey guys last night we were comin home from gettin burgers and the lights suddenly cut out. Hit the high beams off and then back on and it seems fine for a few minutes and then it does it again. If you leave the highs off it seems to be fine which is makin me think its the high beam switch. I dont know why either I mean the car is only 25 years old . Just want to get you guys input.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

I had something similar happen to me. It turned out to be the plug that goes into the light switch. Over time a couple of the wires got hot and actually started to melt the plug. Plus the insulation around the wires got hard and brittle and began to crumble away. I went to my local parts store and bought a replacement plug and wired it in. Works like new!

The fuse is in the light switch. The whole switch needs replacing.

Making a better connection with a new plug might buy you a little time but the switch ultimately needs replacing.

Advanced auto probably has it for like $15. This is probably the most commonly replaced part on our cars.

Also, pick up an ignition switch (not the key cylinder). Replace that too if you haven't so your car doesn't burn down.

-Mike

Yeah I actually changed both the key part and the switch (figured for like $10 I should just keep the new key part). I'll have to get one then o well atleast a lot of these kinds of parts are really cheap for our cars. Like the rear brakes are like $5 plus $10 for shoes you cant beat that with a stick.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.

I did price a new switch and I think it was $22.00. Not too bad. I think I have only driven the car twice with the lights on since I replaced the plug. I will put that on my list to do.

I have this same problem. It seems like after I drive for about 15-20 min my light flicker. I have replaced both the switch and dimmer swithch. I used used ones I had lying arpund. Still no fix. My lights will stay on if I go to click the brights on and hold it back. Lol I have tried giggleing wires, looking for cuts or signs of loose conection. It seems like they overheat, but there are no signs of that. Any clues would be great!!! Also I see I can get the switch at advance, but what about the dimmer switch??? I'm going to look around for it. Thanks for any help. Also it happens if I hit bumps or on a smooth road. There isn't much of a rythm to it... o it is just the head lights that go out. The parking and dash lights stay on. That's what seems weird to me.
    2004 Mach 1 The garge queen
    1988 F250 5.8L 5 spd 4x4 A true work horse!
    1980 F100 stepside Yard ordament
    1983 Capri L 5.8L FINALLY!!!
    ^Ready to play!!!!

The headlight/dimmer switch is all one unit. I'd just get a new one (I took the one from the 98 mile interior so thats basically new lol).
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

If I remember right there is a "liquid" metal safety in the switch. If the line draws too many amps, the metal melts and becomes a liquid causing it to loose contact with both halfs of the switch. When it cools, the metal hardens and completes the circuit again. This can happen multiple times a second causing the light to appear to flicker. But the actuality of it is the safety is throwing and resetting many times over and over.

Only fix is to replace the switch to my knowledge.
    Joe E.

I had the exact same thing happen, lights would sometimes work and hitting the brights tended to make it fail. But even then intermittently failed. Replaced the headlight switch and the multi function switch but it didn't help. Ended up being the headlight plug. I agree with drewpeltier, the plug that goes into the headlight.

Replace switch and wire in relays to keep it from happening again

Common problem easily solved by a new switch and a relay harness ...
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

i had a similar problem in my Dodge 4x4. it turned out to be the headlight switch. something happened and it either got a short or got really really hot and it melted one of the leads in the plug on the back of the switch. i put in a new switch and no more problem
    Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

Quote Originally Posted by 83capril View Post
    I used used ones I had lying arpund. Still no fix.
    ...and you can't see what's wrong?

Replace used with NEW and I'm betting, you're going to get somewhere.

Now, it could be wiring but these switches have about a 15 year lifespan. Any used one is ready to be chucked in the trash.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    ...and you can't see what's wrong?

Replace used with NEW and I'm betting, you're going to get somewhere.

Now, it could be wiring but these switches have about a 15 year lifespan. Any used one is ready to be chucked in the trash.

-Mike
    I see what ur saying mike, I had just had 3 of them around and figured let's try them. So I will get a new one this weekend and look at all the conections, plugs ect for signs of fatigue ect. Thanks for the help guys, good to know this is a common problem and not some electrical gremlin I need to hunt down.
    2004 Mach 1 The garge queen
    1988 F250 5.8L 5 spd 4x4 A true work horse!
    1980 F100 stepside Yard ordament
    1983 Capri L 5.8L FINALLY!!!
    ^Ready to play!!!!

My car is currently doing the same thing. Must be very common. My lights work great on low beam but after a few minutes on high they start to flash on and off. Switch back to low and everything is okay again.

Exact same thing happened to me when I bought my 85GT back in 95... Simply replaced the pull-out light switch and I haven't had the problem since.

Good luck !
    ~Scott~

1985 Mustang GT
    Medium Canyon Red Metallic Exterior ~ Sand Beige / Buckskin Interior