Close

Default Safelite Autoglass has Windshields for Futura/Z-7

Just had the windshield replaced by Safelite Autoglass for my '78 Fairmont Futura (2dr Sport Coupe). Carlite no longer has anything that old for Fords and I thought PPG got out of the automotive glass business. My windshield has "PPG" on it and the part number is DW883.

If you need a windshield for your Futura (Sport Coupe) or Z-7, mention the part number or tell them "2dr Coupe" Do not say "sedan" or you'll get the wrong windshield. Ford didn't help by having the Futura name plastered on wagons, 4drs and 2dr sedans later on...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I had a windshield replaced yesterday on my 86 convertible. The glass is made by "CCC" and was installed by a local glazier (made it china too, sadly). I tried to get Carlite from a glazier and no one could get it.

I had called Safelite as well, but they quoted insanely high on the job ($340 or so). I am not trying to scare you, but from what my installer told me yesterday, a lot of safelite installers don't have a lot of experience. If you got an experienced glazier, great, all the better, but just keep an active eye on whether anything leaks as the last thing your want to have to do is repair underlying framework or sheet metal.

I may still try to locate a used piece of Carlite glass just in case for when the car is totally done.

Also, PPG (Pittsburgh Plate and Glass) is now PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) and it too is made in china now.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009