Close

Default Wagon hatches - LTD vs Fairmont

As a result of the broken hatch window seen in this thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89332

I found a donor hatch from a 79 Fairmont wagon in the local yards. When I pulled it I immediately noticed the different locking mechanism the fairmont had vs my LTD.

The LTD had the post style striker/latch (like the Mustangs) and the fairmont has the small hoop style latch.

Before I find out the hard way, anyone know if the hatch mounted latches can be swapped from one hatch to another?
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

Well, after doing more investigation, without sheetmetal work and some welding it does NOT look like the two latch styles (i.e. the post mount vs. the hoop & clasp) are interchangeable.

Kinda wish I'd have paid more attention to that detail before I pulled, paid for, worked on and painted (rattle can) the intended donor hatch.

Live and learn I 'spose.

Interesting. Guess I've never paid attention either. Does the LTD hatch have the latches
    on the sides of the opening then? Or is it still in the center?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

It is still in the center. On the LTD chassis there is a stout tab that sticks out that the post/striker mounts to. The hatch has the latching mechanism that for all intensive purpose looks identical to the mustang hatch latch.

If I remove the tab with the post (held on w 3 bolts) it looks like I could drill two additional holes and bolt the Fairmont hoop to the chassis and then I might be able to use the fairmont hatch.

Looking into a couple sources for the hinged hatch glass. Had one quote for $904.00. I said no thank you. I also realized I could just fab up a new window out of 3/8 plexiglass. Might do that if the other window source comes up dry.

-MM

Quote Originally Posted by AT6svo View Post
    It is still in the center. On the LTD chassis there is a stout tab that sticks out that the post/striker mounts to. The hatch has the latching mechanism that for all intensive purpose looks identical to the mustang hatch latch.

If I remove the tab with the post (held on w 3 bolts) it looks like I could drill two additional holes and bolt the Fairmont hoop to the chassis and then I might be able to use the fairmont hatch.

Looking into a couple sources for the hinged hatch glass. Had one quote for $904.00. I said no thank you. I also realized I could just fab up a new window out of 3/8 plexiglass. Might do that if the other window source comes up dry.

-MM
    I know where there's a good one in Ridgecrest, Ca. The hatch has a minor dent but the glass is good. 201 San Bernardino Boulevard
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555-8239
    (760) 375-0077

It's on an 84 LTD wagon. The glass probably has the same latch even though the rear hatch is apparently different.
    1986 Tbird 3.8
    1992 Ford TBird LX 3.8
    1992 Ranger XLT 2.3

tbirdsps - thank you for the heads up and help. Can you confirm this glass was the hinged flip up style?

tbirdsps - thank you for the heads up and help. Can you confirm this glass was the hinged flip up style?
    Yes and I think it had defroster wires too. The car was fully loaded with options. PW, PDL, tilt, cruise, PS, and even has the remote hatch system similar to the trunk release on sedans. I only took the complete interior.
    Last edited by tbirdsps; 02-09-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    1986 Tbird 3.8
    1992 Ford TBird LX 3.8
    1992 Ranger XLT 2.3

Thank you, I really appreciate this.

I have a friend that lives in Cal City who is going to try and swing by and get it.

Trying to work with the yard people and they are claiming they have the car but it has no windows at all.

Such is the problem being 300 miles away.

Trying to work with the yard people and they are claiming they have the car but it has no windows at all.

Such is the problem being 300 miles away.
    It's the faded light blue one and it had all the windows last August. It either has a tbird on the roof or it could be the one with the Mustang II on the roof.

I'll be happy to go look Saturday but I'll be away from the computer until the 22nd. PM me your name and number and either I'll have them call you or I will. Gordon and his wife are nice folks but maybe they were too muddy to go look. That place can be pretty swampy in the rain. Unless someone got them but I doubt it.

Unless you talked to the yard guy who probably doesn't know the difference in a large LTD and the Fox LTD. I'll try to remember to take the camera too.
    Last edited by tbirdsps; 02-10-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    1986 Tbird 3.8
    1992 Ford TBird LX 3.8
    1992 Ranger XLT 2.3

After some footwork on tbirdsps belhalf and myself personally speaking to the yard owner as of yesterday, there are no windows available. The cars were still there but the glass was gone.

I am having a replacement unit fabbed up out of 3/8th plexiglass. I made a template based on a wagon w fixed glass and mocked up the template on my car. I'll post pics once I get it home, drilled, & mounted on the car.

After some footwork on tbirdsps belhalf and myself personally speaking to the yard owner as of yesterday, there are no windows available. The cars were still there but the glass was gone.

I am having a replacement unit fabbed up out of 3/8th plexiglass. I made a template based on a wagon w fixed glass and mocked up the template on my car. I'll post pics once I get it home, drilled, & mounted on the car.
    I'm so confused. Did the guy refuse to sell them?

Here's one:
    Attachment 15779
    Here's two with defroster grid:
    Attachment 15780
    Last edited by tbirdsps; 08-10-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    1986 Tbird 3.8
    1992 Ford TBird LX 3.8
    1992 Ranger XLT 2.3

That is exactly what I need. Either one of those would work.

I completed the plexiglass replacement and it looks decent but is not quite the permanent fix I was after.

I would still be interested in getting my hands on at least one of those units. W/o the defroster or with, either will work. I would also like the hinges too. My passenger unit is cracked and I repaired it w JB Weld to add some strenght. I'd even buy the whole hatch on the white car if I had to.

I'll try & post pics of the plexiglass replacement soon. It is nice not having plastic flapping in the wind anymore.

I wouldn't mind having the one with the defrost grid for my '79...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

This is the window I fabbed up out of 3/8th plexiglass. Factory hinges & latch were re-used. Sorry for the blurry pic. I hate my digital camera.

I thought the original window was flat but I found out that must not be true because when I installed this unit I noticed that the ends would not seat against the weather-strippping. So I fabbed up a mount keep the glass flush with the seal. Can't open the window as originally designed but I don't really care about that right now.

All in all didn't turn out too bad. Will still be on the look out for real replacement glass too. I'd love to go check out that yard in Ridgecrest someday just for fun.

Last edited by AT6svo; 03-02-2010 at 12:20 PM.

the plexi looks good, at least the window was flat!!! You did a really good job
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground