Close

Default 10 inch clutch or 10.5

A buddy of mine has a stock 85 gt that has about 75650 miles on it that has the original clutch and he is wanting to replace it (started slipping). My question is should we put the newer style stock replacement 10.5 along with a new flywheel for more grip, or just go with the stock replacement 10 inch? He does not want a heavier pedal and he wants to keep his stock auto adjusting clutch quadrant which works fine. Will the 10.5 be a heavier pedal? I have never driven a newer model that had one in it so I don't know. Again he does not want anything heavier than what he has driven for the past 25 years (original owner). The rest of the car is basically stock, just some offroad exhaust and pony wheels.
    Last edited by 85_GT; 02-01-2010 at 05:50 PM.

1982 Mustang GT in progress

I've actually heard some people say that certain 10.5" clutches are actually easier pedal-wise than the stock clutch. I'm still running a 10" in mine and it's been fine. I took out what appeared to be the stock clutch at around 150k miles. I had the flywheel resurfaced and it's now got a RAM pressure plate and release bearing with a centerforce disc. My car has an intake, exhaust, headers, and 3.55's and it's held up fine to a few trips down the 1/4 mile and a few open track days at NHIS along with 25k of daily driving so far.

I didn't think about getting a better friction disc with the 10 inch; that sounds like a plan.

It may be a plan for clutch chatter. Mixing and matching plates and disks can be a lot
    like mixing and matching aftermarket springs and shocks.

I can say with some certainty that a clutch plate from McParts will not work as well as
    his original one did. If your buddy values factory-smooth clutch action, the King Cobra
    setup is pretty hard to beat. Otherwise a new stock set from Ford.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    It may be a plan for clutch chatter. Mixing and matching plates and disks can be a lot
    like mixing and matching aftermarket springs and shocks.

I can say with some certainty that a clutch plate from McParts will not work as well as
    his original one did. If your buddy values factory-smooth clutch action, the King Cobra
    setup is pretty hard to beat. Otherwise a new stock set from Ford.
    i thought of the king cobra but i have one in my 84 project and the pedal is much stiffer than my (and his) stock 85. Would you have any idea how much the stock one from ford would cost?
    Last edited by 85_GT; 02-01-2010 at 10:41 PM.

stock one from ford would cost about the same as a king cobra from summit. The parts prices are on the rise fast. My king cobra isn't heavier than the stock piece that i can tell. It operates a little smoother for me actually. I would say to just go ahead and get the 10.5 in flywheel and king cobra clutch, with new ford clutch cable. replace all that stuff and the pedal will feel like butter. Keep the stock piece in storage for originality purposes.
    C.R.

spend the extra 100 dollars and put a 10.5 inch. I wish i did because when i did upgrades like heads intake cam i really regretted not doing that... clutch slips bad and it is a centerforce stage1 clutch 10 inch

You're probably looking at around $200 for the Ford Reman stuff.

Does your '84 have a stock Ford or aftermarket clutch cable? The KC in my '85 is
    pretty easy to live with.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I had the 10.5" KC clutch done to my 85 GT. It was worth it. Yes, the pedal is a little more stiff.

But, according ford there is one King Cobra clutch and that is the Heavy Duty one. It is more stiff than the 85's 10" clutch.

But it IS worth it.

Buy a FRPP 10.5" fly wheel to go with that FR KC clutch.

Also, if you've not already get the Maximum Motorsport quadrant, firewall adjuster and the universal Ford clutch cable. The Universal Ford clutch cable is longer and avoids the headers. MM also modifies it to fit the firewall adjuster.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    You're probably looking at around $200 for the Ford Reman stuff.

Does your '84 have a stock Ford or aftermarket clutch cable? The KC in my '85 is
    pretty easy to live with.
    it has an aftermarket adjustable; i have a stock replacement non adjustable on order.

My mixed clutch setup was not totally intentional. The spring came out of the new input seal on the tranny and a few hundred miles after the clutch install about 1/2 the ATF from the tranny wound up escaping and completely saturated the clutch. Brake cleaner took care of the pressure plate, and MU (overnight shipping to me) had the 10" centerforce discs in stock. It's worked flawlessly since. But I do plan on some engine mods so a 10.5 will go on the next time the motor's out for a rebuild.

Never had a problem with the stock 10in. in my 84.
    my car is slow....
    84 GT convertible
    13.58@102.84, 2.01 60ft... summer in AZ...
    68 coupe.. lookin for 8's with a street car
    http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    I had the 10.5" KC clutch done to my 85 GT. It was worth it. Yes, the pedal is a little more stiff.

But, according ford there is one King Cobra clutch and that is the Heavy Duty one. It is more stiff than the 85's 10" clutch.

But it IS worth it.

Buy a FRPP 10.5" fly wheel to go with that FR KC clutch.

Also, if you've not already get the Maximum Motorsport quadrant, firewall adjuster and the universal Ford clutch cable. The Universal Ford clutch cable is longer and avoids the headers. MM also modifies it to fit the firewall adjuster.
    Do you happened to have links and part numbers for all those items?

I want to change the clutch during the summer.
    1985 Ford Mustang GT
    True Dual Exhaust
    K&N Filter

i put the 10.5 King Cobra in mine and can haardly tell that it is siffer. I think it works great as well. I put in a triple pick-up quadrant and a firewall adjuster as well.

If it'll fit a 10.5...then might as well do it now.
    1985 mercury capri, 347, twisted wedge, TFS stage 3, Parker Funnel Web intake, demon 650, all MSD, 8.8, 4.10s, Hoosier QTPs...stock T-5 :0

I am considering a stock replacement 10.5 made by LUK; part number 07-042. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

My transmission went at around 175k. I had to do the clutch then, also, because it got toasted trying to get home with only 3, 4, and 5.

I was torn whether to stick with 10 or go to 10.5. My car is essentially stock. I ended up opting for the 10.5 upgrade. I can't say that I have gained any performance advantage, since my car is only stock.

I went with the KC 10.5 setup. I can confidently say that the pedal feels pretty much the same as my old clutch.

The only issue I can complain about is what I've been told is the "clutch fingers" chattering at certain RPM when everything is fully hot. I can't verify if that is at all accurate or correct. Just a noise though, annoying to me and not others.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.