Close

Default Did I Damage my Crank?

I had problems seating my converter, and actually forced the bell tight with the bolts with the TC not seated properly. I had to replace my converter and input shaft because they were stuck together from the pressure I put on them. Inside of the tranny is fine, so I bought a new converter and input shaft and all seats well on the tranny.

Now after that issue, my crank doesn't turn all the way around when turning by hand with a ratchet. It turns nice and freely until about halfway until it stops. I got the plugs out, converter and tranny are not mounted, accessory belts are loosened. I can't hear any contact inside the engine, it just stops turning like it's binding or something. This motor turned fine before I had my converter issue. Can I damage my crank somehow when forcing the bell and converter on the block like I did??

Maybe not so much the crank itself but you may have "unseated" the main bearings on the crank journals. You may also be stressing the connecting rod ends as well as piston wrist pins.

Also quite possibly the front and rear main seals could be damaged / dislodged as well as the timing gears and chain depending on how far forward the crank may have pushed them.

Sounds like time for a rebuild to me...
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Nevermind...
    Last edited by JACook; 02-06-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Yeah from what I could tell it looked like the converter and input shaft took all the heat. When I removed my old converter the input shaft was jammed in it....and was jammed good enough to where I couldn't pry it out with vice clamps and a block of wood. My only question is that the crank does turn app. halfway over in each direction very very easily...if the crank was pushed forward wouldn't it be a consistent problem?

You've probably pushed the crank far enough forward that one of your connecting rods / end caps is coming into contact with one of the webs in the block. Hence the ability to only rotate it 180* in either direction.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    You would be more likely to damage the flexplate,
    +1

I did the same thing ended up replacing the tranny(for other reasons as well). The flex plate bent enough not to damage any engine internals.
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Nevermind...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

I've been in the transmission business long enough to have seen many people try and tighten one up without the converter seated.Generally it wipes out the pump gears or at least bends the end of the converter and possibly jams the input shaft but never have I seen ant engine damage as a result.
    That would be a new one.Possible but highly unlikely
    Automatics are for girls

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Speedfreak View Post
    I've been in the transmission business long enough to have seen many people try and tighten one up without the converter seated.Generally it wipes out the pump gears or at least bends the end of the converter and possibly jams the input shaft but never have I seen ant engine damage as a result.
    That would be a new one.Possible but highly unlikely

Well as happy as I am to hear you say that, unofrtunately I think I may have set a new high for you. I have the flexplate off, taking the balancer off tomorrow to make sure those bolts aren't too long. After that i'm taking the heads off to check cam and valve spring issues....if that doesn't work then the thing is coming out and i'm finding a 5.0 to put in it's place.

I hope I can figure it out before that happens though. At any rate, i'll keep you all posted with my findings. Thank you for all the help thus far, it has been comforting at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    Now after that issue, my crank doesn't turn all the way around when turning by hand with a ratchet. It turns nice and freely until about halfway until it stops. I got the plugs out, convertor and tranny are not mounted, accessory belts are loosened. I can't hear any contact inside the engine, it just stops turning like it's binding or something. This motor turned fine before I had my converter issue.
    I based my reply on this statement in the bold text. Since the convertor is bolted to the flexplate it should be easy enough to see if it ( the flexplate ) is damaged / bent with no convertor attached. It would also be easy to see if it is hitting the back of the block.

If he is turning the engine over by the crank snout with a ratchet the problem would have to be inside the engine. It would have nothing to do with the transmission, input shaft, pump, or anything else since all that is not attached.

Also not being there in person makes things just a little difficult. I can only go by what is posted. Based on what I've read it has to be an internal engine problem no matter how improbable.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    I have the flexplate off, taking the balancer off tomorrow to make sure those bolts aren't too long.
    Well I missed this sentence. If the flexplate is already off then it should be an internal problem.

And if the motor turned fine before the convertor issue I can't see how the bolts on the harmonic balancer grew in length.

Like I said in my first reply. Just pull the engine and do a basic rebuild.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Nevermind...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

You're pulling the heads off before you try loosening the rocker arms? Why?[/QUOTE]

I will be loosening the rockers before pulling the heads, but I'm planning on pulling the heads. If there is one thing that I've learned so far...it's to plan for the worst.

Well I took off my rockers and removed my pushrods. None of my pushrods were bent, however the drivers side rockers were wayyyy tighter than they should have been. Still though, that wasn't the issue. I checked my valve height and they are all level with eachother, all up. I am convinced it's the crank. I eliminated the cam, accessory belts, flex plate, transmission, and distributor. There is nothing left. FML. Going to houses with 5.0 Foxes and knockin on doors tonight. Maybe i'll get a deal. Cross your gingers for me, and thanks for all the help. Mission failed.