Close

Default front wheel bearings stuck on spindle

this is on my BII but is kinda like a mustang front bearings, only the spindle is removable from the knuckle.

I knew I would get punished for being lazy.
    87 BII manual hubs.
    heres a little back story to build up to it. I have locking lugs but no key when I bought the BII and the holes in the rims are tight, a 3/4 socket barely fits in. blew a rear tire so I had to get the rears off. I had my welder then and had just barley enough room and time to weld on regular lugs on the locking lug. I actually sold the welder the same day I did that. now about a month later I hear the passenger wheel bearing squeeling for help. Great, now I have to deal with the front. I got the passenger side off so lets start there, should be easy from here right?

pull the wheel off and the brakes are toast, picked up new rotors, pads, bearings and seals for both sides. I expected to have to dremel/cut off the inner bearing but I didnt even get that far. There is NO grease, only burnt reamins of what was once a grease like substance. the outer bearing is completely frozen onto the spindle but still intact keeping the rotor on solid, I could see some damage to the cage though but still only little movement. I sprayed it with lube and tried to beat it off by beating the rotor then bolting the rim/tire back on and beating on that, didnt help. I then put the spindle nut back on till it was 1/2 turn from touching the bearing and drove around the parking lot slowly, nope, drove around it a few more times, still stuck, drove a little faster and nothing loosened up. At this point I dont care anymore, run over speed bumps at about 20mph+, running it against curbs, half on curb and dropping it off letting it land kinda hard, put it beside the curb and turn the steering wheel back and forth to hit the front and back of tire against curb. I even tried heating up the bearing and repeating all the steps, Its still stuck solid!!
    I give up, I knew once I hit it with my purse and it didnt budge I was screw'd, what now?

I got the new spindle from the junkyard but dont know how to get my old rotor off so i can replace it. the only thing I can think of right now is trying to shatter the rotor so I can get to the bolts holding the spindle on, anyone got any other ideas?

You need to try to split the inner race. It's gotten itself welded to the spindle because the
    bearing was run without grease. Or just pull the whole corner off and replace everything.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Senior Member

try more heat and penetrating fluid.lots of both.

Can't hurt. But more than once I have seen bearing races that had so thoroughly welded
    themselves to the spindle that when I split the race and finally peeled it away, it took a
    sizeable layer of the spindle with it.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Yeah, normally on a TTB the inner bearing is the one that gets stuck, normally both the inner and outer races weld to the rotor/spindle so replacing the rotor is normally the only way to replace the bearings. Its easier to get the inner bearing off since the rotor is off and you can use a cutter to get it off. This is the outer bearing with the inner race stuck to the spindle. there is no evidence scoring the inner race scoring the spindle. Im hoping I can avoid buying a whole knuckle assembly. I have been planning on upgrading to a dana 35. I wish I had the cash to do the swap now but I need a reliable daily driver and I cant afford the new axle and to replace all the bearings/seals/pads/rotors.

Ill keep driving on it with the spindle nut loose, I have all the parts and tools loaded up in my Bronco II incase they pop loose.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Can't hurt. But more than once I have seen bearing races that had so thoroughly welded
    themselves to the spindle that when I split the race and finally peeled it away, it took a
    sizeable layer of the spindle with it.
    I got another spindle just incase, I allready expect to have to replace it, I just wish I could get to it!!

Thanks for the info Guys

Quote Originally Posted by In2Fords View Post
    I sprayed it with lube and tried to beat it off
    Oh I see.....
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James