Close

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Default Looking at Capris never gets old (Threads Merged)

In 1983 I was 17 years old and owned a Chevy Vega. It was my first car and it was JUNK! My Dad and I were out looking for my 2nd car and I was interested in Fox Mustangs.

We went to several dealerships and test drove a few, but they just didn't excite me because the ones in my price range were all in pretty rough shape. I was just about to give up when my Dad called a dealership about an hour away and asked them if they had any used Mustangs on their lot for under $1800. They said, "No, but we have a 1979 Mercury Capri if you're intersted". Neither of us had a clue what a Capri was, but the salesman said it was similar to the Mustang, so we just HAD to see what it was all about.

When we got there, the salesman was with another customer, but pointed out to the lot where it was sitting and said we could go look at it. It was cold out, so my Dad waited in the showroom while I walked out to look it over.

When my eyes fell on this car it was instant bliss! I immediately thought it was better looking than any Mustang I'd seen up to that point. It was a black 1979 Ghia with the 2.8 V6 with a 4 speed and red interior. Here's the best pic I could find.

I will never forget the feeling I got seeing this first Capri. Needless to say, I bought it. Absolutely loved the car and drove it non stop for the next two years.

Then one night I was out cruising and went by a Ford dealership and saw another Capri out of the corner of my eye. I pulled u-turn and checked it out. It was a Maroon '84 5.0 5 speed RS bubble back with T-tops. The only Capri I'd ever seen other than my black '79. It was the same feeling of total bliss all over again.

Within two days, I'd traded my '79 for it. Man, the pull of that V8 was pure sex!!

I went on to own a few others along the way and at age 43, I currently own 4 Capris and have never owned a Mustang. The whole point of this thread is to say, no matter how many of them I've owned, I still get that "feeling" whenever come out of a store and see one of mine sitting in a parking lot. Even when I see pics of other members Capris on this site I get the same giddy look on my face.

I don't think I'll ever loose that feeling either... if I haven't yet, I probably never will. I've come to realize that a Capri is the only car for me even though I have owned and currently own other modes of transportation. No other car has ever come close to giving me the same level of excitement. Just thought I'd share. Sorry if all this sound sappy.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Sounds great to me!

I love walking out of a store and seeing my Capri sitting there just waiting for me.
    Last edited by 86capriASC; 01-25-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Nice write up. I'm a huge Capri fan. Have been since 87, when a buddy of mine got his 82 model. I loved it. Gray with black interior, four speed, 302 2-barrel, but man did it run. Took me years to buy one of mine own (I was pretty picky), but it was worth the wait. Capri Fever...you're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    Sounds great to me!

I love walking out of a store and seeing my Capri sitting there just waiting for me.
    x2 nice little write up.

I know it doesn't apply to this thread directly, or even to this site, but whenever I'm walking down an aisle of cars and spot Reef Blue I get all giddy inside.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

I absolutely adore my capri. so much infact that every fall i clear out my garage and make sure it has enough room to stay out of the weather for the winter. not exactly warm (not insulated or heated) but its dry. i love the looks of the capri's way better than the mustangs. the bubble fenders and square front grill with the short cowl hood makes it look meaner than any mustang of the early 80's. thanks for sharing your story, made me feel warm and fuzzy :P
    Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

Yeah, you guys with ASC's really make me wish I had one. Never came across one decent enough to buy though. Both of the above cars are sweet.

BTW, have any of the other members who've been on here for 5 or more years noticed the "explosion" of Capri owners who have joined in the past 2 or 3 years? When I joined, there were only a few, but now, LOTS of them.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Neither here nor there

I still to this day remember seeing my first capri on the used car lot saying OMG that is so much cooler then the common mustang! MUST HAVE!!!
    Then went back with the funds.
    Been hooked to them for a long time now.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Cool story and that '84 looks cool with the Aluminum slotted mag wheels! When I was in high school, there was a kid in my town who drove a Yellow/Black Capri, which was obviously similar to my Cobra colors. I thought it was one of the coolest cars around.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Loved my first Capri (81 with a 2.3 NA / auto):

Unfortunately someone pulled in front of it:

I ended up hanging a new clip on the car and drove it for a while.

Unfortunately the kid that I sold it to put it into the woods (no pics).
    Yup - I'm with you and really love the look of the early (flat HB) Capris.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

I'll have one someday. But so far the couple (literally two) I've ever come across for sale the timing was wrong and and the funds just weren't there. So someday.

But as for the "giddy" feeling, I know how that is. I get that way when I see a Zephyr or a Fairmont. Which isn't to often.
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    Cool story and that '84 looks cool with the Aluminum slotted mag wheels! When I was in high school, there was a kid in my town who drove a Yellow/Black Capri, which was obviously similar to my Cobra colors. I thought it was one of the coolest cars around.
    Yeah, Pete, those wheels were on it when I bought it. I really liked them, but there was also a part of me that wished it still had the TRX's.

Ok, I gotta agree.....I too have the Capri bug!! I'd always liked them, always wanted one. I bought my 93 LX new in 93 and even though I couldn't afford another toy, I kept an eye out for a Capri. When I finally met up with guys who owned FOX cars and really got into them as far as a hobby, I stumbled across my 86 Capri by accident. I was at Spring Carlisle and saw it......I left my Dad in the dust as I made an immediate detour towards it. What was funny was that it reminded me of a buddies car and I actually laughed at how similar it was. Shortly after talking to the owner, I HAD to have it and drove it home that afternoon.....have not regretted it a bit since!! I too, like others, LOVE seeing my Capri (or ANY Capri) when I walk through a car show, a parking lot, or especially in my garage!! It's the first thing I see when I come home at night and walk in the back door.....it always changes my mood no matter how bad of a day I've had. It's also my attitude adjuster.....sometimes i just jump in it and go for a quick drive, that always makes me feel better too!!

I personally love Ford products, and we all know that the Mustang has been Ford's flagship for many years...but park a Capri next to a Mustang and I'd take the Capri every time!! The (FOX) Mustang always looks "friendly and fun" where as the Capri has always had a "WTF are you lookin at?" attitude to it!!

Ok, maybe its just me.....or a sickness? But...I gotta agree, the Capri always makes me giddy too!!!

Later, RAY
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

I've loved cars probably since I was born, but the first cool car I ever got a ride in was my uncle's black 1982 Capri 5.0 on my way to pre-school one lucky day. I remember sitting in the back seat, looking at the leather shift boot as he shifted through the gears and just knowing that it was cool.I remember that it was loud. It was probably one of my life's defining moments, 17 years later and it's still vivid in my mind!
    To make a long story short, he put it in storage (where it was vandalized), and two summers ago I dragged it out, wrenched on it and got it licensed and safe again. He gave me the title to the car, and it's a true honour due to the car's history. I love the Capri. Every night during the summer I look out at it and just feel good about it and I'm in whole other world when I'm driving it. This could be just the cold of the winter talking, but it's almost surreal just thinking about it!

It's cool to hear that my fellow Capri owners have the same stupid love for them as I do.
    The whole thing is I can't understand what it is about them that gets me so wound up. I mean, it's just a car! But it seems like my whole life has been affected by owning them. I know it sounds silly, but I know I will die with at least one Capri sitting in my garage. I think I started this thread because I haven't been able to drive one since before Thanksgiving because of the weather and I have all of them in storage except my DD Capri. But today I grabbed the keys and took it out for a 3 hour spin just for fun... and had this goofy grin on my face the whole time. Rowing through the gears and listening to the rumble...they are just so freakin' cool.

Hmmm, I think I will go down and sit in mine for a while and listen to the stereo and drink an beer.

See ya in a bit.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

i have to agree, i enjoy driving my car, even if it is just for a few hours a year. but it gets me grinning everytime it fires up and rumbles in the driveway. i can't wait to get the rest of the repairs done and go for a road trip with it
    Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

Thinking about cars is why I love/hate the winter at the same time. It keeps me out of the "routine" of driving a car like the Capri. Even though I do love it, I think I take it for granted at times because I forget that it's more than just a car. People don't turn their heads at "just a car". A fourth to third downshift on the highway doesn't bring a smile out in "just a car". Hell, it's not even "just a mustang" because most people don't know what the hell it is!

I think it's just nice to be able to take a step back for these 5-6 months and think about how truly great it is to drive in something so great. The "outsiders" have no idea! Ahh, getting teary eyed, time to call it quits for the night!

Hmmm, I think I will go down and sit in mine for a while and listen to the stereo and drink an beer.

See ya in a bit.
    So, I'm sitting here reading all these replies and relating to them and thinking of sharing a story of my own... The I read this reply, and well, I completely relate to this. I always thought I was a bit odd for doing that, but I too will just sit in it and soak it in whenever I get the chance. Especially since I haven't been able to drive it for a while now. I'll go in the garage and just stare at them. I'll dust them off, or walk around them and inspect the paint, or I'll sit inside them and tinker with the electronics, or test the lights... Sometimes it's only a minute or two, sometimes it's a half hour to an hour or more. These cars are a part of me. Always have been, always will be. Spending time with them, and admiring them, whether it's quietly in the garage, or blasting down the highway with no real destination, is one of my favorite things to do.

Here's mine, one I'll never get tired of staring at:

And my old Capri I sold a few years ago:

Last edited by 19COBRA93; 01-08-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    85 McLaren Capri Coupe -Blue/orange, 5 spd, sunroof

05 GT -5 spd, Supercharged

Looks great with the Cobras
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

wow i feel the same way! i'll have to throw the battery in mine and fire it up tomorrow.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by 19COBRA93 View Post
    So, I'm sitting here reading all these replies and relating to them and thinking of sharing a story of my own... The I read this reply, and well, I completely relate to this. I always thought I was a bit odd for doing that, but I too will just sit in it and soak it in whenever I get the chance. Especially since I haven't been able to drive it for a while now. I'll go in the garage and just stare at them. I'll dust them off, or walk around them and inspect the paint, or I'll sit inside them and tinker with the electronics, or test the lights... Sometimes it's only a minute or two, sometimes it's a half hour to an hour or more. These cars are a part of me. Always have been, always will be. Spending time with them, and admiring them, whether it's quietly in the garage, or blasting down the highway with no real destination, is one of my favorite things to do.

Here's mine, one I'll never get tired of staring at:

And my old Capri I sold a few years ago:

Ah yes my brotha from anotha motha, haha. You and I could be best of friends. I just got doing these exact things you mentioned. Those three beers were good too. Of course the old school house music helped a bit, made me feel 18 again. I tinkered with this and that and of course the California duster came out. But I did make a decision, I am keeping it and will figure out everything else. Like you said it is part of me and if it was gone I'm not sure what I would do. I have always been one to make it through the worst of times and figure out how to get by. So with that being said my car for now " is all mine". Oh and by the way I love the smell of that rich exhaust after it has sat for awhile. Of course when the wife gets home in the morning she probably won't.
    Last edited by 86capriASC; 01-08-2010 at 01:54 AM.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108

whats a "capri"?

Great article, I'm fortunite to have mustangs give me that feeling. Although at the same time, when I see one donked out or autozone racing chrome on one it breaks my heart. and I have to deal with that every daylol
    Usually, old ladies tell me to find Jesus

I used to hate the looks of the 79-86 Mustang and Capri, and I thought that they were all junk. Then I somehow ended up with a $400 '79 Capri Ghia 5.0... I remember getting it from a friend of my mother's, but I can't remember why, since I thought it was ugly.

It was the first V8 car that I had owned, and it grew on me, to the point that I started to appreciate it and eventually like the way it looked. After trading it away, I burned through two '85 5.0 GS's, before finding the '82 5.0 Black Magic that I still have. I haven't driven it in a few years, and this thread reminds me of how good it will look when I get it back on the road.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

i recognize this car:

were you Brent71 on here before?

cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 01-08-2010 at 03:37 AM.

But I did make a decision, I am keeping it and will figure out everything else. Like you said it is part of me and if it was gone I'm not sure what I would do. I have always been one to make it through the worst of times and figure out how to get by. So with that being said my car for now " is all mine".
    I'm glad to hear that Mike. It's a real nice Capri and I'd hate to have seen you torn over it. I wish you the best to get through these times.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast