Close

Exclamation '83 GT Turbo decode please

Hello, well after many years I've finally got a FEP .
    Now I'm looking for help decoding my "new to me" '83 GT Turbo.

VIN is: 1FABP28W3DF186xxx

The buck tag is as follows...
    MUSTANG
    "186xxx"
    61B
    W
    1CC
    DF
    ST
    HB
    GT
    BR
    MBW
    -A
    NLR

NOTE: ( The tag also has the letter "S" and "E" stamped in the bottom line in a different size & style font prior to the -A) see pic below.

Pic of the VC Label:

I've got more pics here, http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...jectsvo/83TGT/

Many thanks in advance.

What is the mileage on the odometer?

Does the car have...

front license plate bracket?
    tinted glass? (factory, not aftermarket)
    light group? (light under hood, light in front ashtray, light in glovebox)
    premium sound? ("amp pull" knob under dash and "premium sound system" emblem on cluster bezel)
    tilt steering?
    TRX wheels?
    interval/delay wipers?

Arrow

Fox, thanks for the reply. I'll answer your questions in order.

front license plate bracket?
    No bracket, see pic:

tinted glass? (factory, not aftermarket)
    Yes it has factory green tinted glass.

light group? (light under hood, light in front ashtray, light in glovebox)
    None of the above. Pic is of light mounting area on hood.

premium sound? ("amp pull" knob under dash and "premium sound system" emblem on cluster bezel)
    Well I hoped you might be able to tell because the factory stereo long gone, dash & wiring is a mess. There is no "amp pull" knob but there is a "premium sound system" emblem on cluster bezel. See pic & note below it.

NOTE:The car has dealer a/c. That brings up two questions #1 Would that cluster bezel be part of the kit? #2 Would there be a NON "premium sound system" cluster bezel kit?

tilt steering?
    No tilt wheel.

TRX wheels?
    Again I was hoping you could tell me, as you can see from my first pic, if so they are long gone.

interval/delay wipers?
    No to that as well

Thanks again & let me know if you have any other questions or need any more pics.

Re: front license plate bracket ... No bracket there but the holes are, so there was one there at one point. Not sure if it was factory or not.

Re: premium sound ... No way to tell from the VC Label and if it's on the Buck Tag (that is a good possibility), I don't know what the code is. Either the cluster bezel is original and the amp pull knob has been removed or the bezel is not original and the knob was never there. You could pull the dash pad and see if there is an amp in the center hole. If there is one, that would probably mean that is had premium sound originally. Not a definite though.

Re: TRX wheels ... No way to tell from the VC Label and if it's on the Buck Tag (I doubt so), I don't know what the code is. You can tell very easily from the Build Sheet.

VIN
    1FA = Ford, USA
    B = manual seatbelts, no airbag
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang hatchback
    W = turbocharged 2.3L engine
    3 = VIN check digit
    D = 1983 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly (DAP)
    186___ = 186,___th 1983 Mustang assigned a VIN at DAP

VC Label
    Date - 06/83 = June 1983 scheduled build
    Exterior Paint Colors - 1C = Black
    DSO - 74 = Seattle district sales office
    Body - 61B = Mustang hatchback
    Int Trim - CA = low-back bucket front seats, vinyl seating, Black interior
    A/C - 1 = color code for tape stripe inserts in bodyside moulding and
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette
    Ax - R = 3.45:1 axle ratio w/ Traction-Lok
    Tr - 2 = T-5 transmission
    HH = E0BZ-5310-H front springs
    HH = D9BZ-5560-M rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = model line
    61B = Mustang hatchback
    W = turbocharged 2.3L engine
    1CC = Black exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    HB = rear defrost
    GT = model
    BR
    MBW = T-5 transmission
    05 = hood w/ scoop
    -A = Black interior trim color
    NLR
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-05-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: changed interior color from Medium Red to Black

Thanks,
    Curious, I don't want to be rude & not that I doubt you, but I'm questioning the CA & -A being a Red interior. From what I've found (here & on other sites) shouldn't it be Black?

Yeah, it's Black.

This is the second time I have made that mistake recently.

A = Black
    D = Medium Red

Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Re: premium sound ... No way to tell from the VC Label and if it's on the Buck Tag (that is a good possibility), I don't know what the code is. Either the cluster bezel is original and the amp pull knob has been removed or the bezel is not original and the knob was never there. You could pull the dash pad and see if there is an amp in the center hole. If there is one, that would probably mean that is had premium sound originally. Not a definite though.
    My 83 RS has the same black bezel with "Premium Sound System" on it, but it also had no amp pull knob under the dash that I was able to locate. It doesn't have the factory radio, and I haven't pulled the dash pad to see if there is an amp there, but is there a mid-grade Premium system, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectSVO View Post
    Well I hoped you might be able to tell because the factory stereo long gone, dash & wiring is a mess. There is no "amp pull" knob but there is a "premium sound system" emblem on cluster bezel. See pic & note below it.

NOTE:The car has dealer a/c. That brings up two questions #1 Would that cluster bezel be part of the kit? #2 Would there be a NON "premium sound system" cluster bezel kit?
    My 83 RS has factory AC, and it looks the same as that. The bezel would have stayed with the car, the only thing that changes with dealer installed AC is the HVAC control center, and that is most likely a Ford part, just ordered through the dealer.

As I said above, mine also says Premium Sound System on it, but there is no amp pull knob that I've been able to locate.

The bezel was different between factory AC and no AC.

factory AC = vent next to control panel
    no AC = no vent

dealer AC = added vent like you see in the pic above

The bezel was different between factory AC and no AC.

factory AC = vent next to control panel
    no AC = no vent

dealer AC = added vent like you see in the pic above
    I did not notice that.

Thumbs up

Yeah, it's Black.

A = Black
    D = Medium Red

Hey it happens, no harm done.

Actually, it is I who want to thank you for decoding my tags & everything you for the FEP community. There are millions of forums on the internet but only one FEP. When it comes to these cars, the members here are second to none.

FEP Senior Member

Yeah, it's Black.

A = Black
    D = Medium Red

What exactly should be black on the interior with this code? I ask because my 84 GT 'vert's buck tag has the "-A" code immediately after the "ELECTRIC" code, and I have a grey interior. Thanks for the help!
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all

Black and Charcoal used the same code but Black interior wasn't available from '84 through '86.

FEP Senior Member

You tha man FC!
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all