Close

Default A lot of questions UPDATE: 80 fairmont wagon build!

I am looking into a fairmont as a project. There are a few questions I have before then that I would like answered. Ive done a lot of searching and have been unable to find the answers to them.

1) What can you do to make the fairmont handle better? Is it all a direct mustang replacement?

2) What transmissions were available in a fairmont. Especially a futura. Also does anyone have a link to a auto to manual swap for the 200cid? That would be my ideal.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dislikedword; 02-22-2010 at 10:07 PM.

1) Most mustang stuff swaps over. The was a K member/front control arm change at some point, I dont know when. Shocks, struts, springs, rear control arms, etc, are direct bolt in. SFCs are a shot in the dark. I used WMS racing SFCs on my 83.

2) Autos were C4s until 81 or so when the C5 replaced it. Some 200I6 fairmonts came with SROD transmissions, but these are hard to find. If your car is an 81-83, you're probably SOL. The 78-80 cars had the earlier boltpattern that was in production for a few more years, and one member here recently modified one of those bellhousings to bolt up to a T5. Otherwise, you need a mustang pedal assembly, clutch linkage, etc.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Pardon my ignorance. What are SFC's?

SFC = Sub Frame Connectors

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by waggin View Post
    SFC = Sub Frame Connectors
    Doh. OK thanks. I should have figured that one out.

Default Strictly Mustang to Fairmont parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dislikedword View Post
    1) What can you do to make the Fairmont handle better?
    In what way do you want the car to handle better? What are the intended purposes of the car? 1320, Road Race, Auto X, other? http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in...page=tech_tips
    Will cover most questions regarding what and where to improve upon the Fox Chassis.
    Is it all a direct Mustang replacement?
    Yes and no. Although the '79-'93 Mustang is based on a Fox Chassis, there are slight differences over the years that prevent all parts from being directly interchangeable. Such as...
    -'78-'82 FLCA bushings are different from '83-'93 FLCA bushings.[SVO is different]
    -The FLCAs are the same from '78-'93. 13". [except SVO/'93 Cobra R].
    -1979-09/84 R&P bushings and bolts are different from 10/'84-'04 R&P bushings and bolts w/sleeves.
    -1977-11/81(build) Cars use a different MC from 11/'81-'86 cars.
    -Not quite sure when the rear inner K member bolt distance changed, I suspect ~'81 or '82.(possibly same time as MC change?)
    There are a lot of minute differences between the Fairmont and later Mustangs. Remember this when looking up Mustang parts for a Fairmont..."Fairmonts and Mustangs are the same, but they are different."
    Clear as mud?
    2) What transmissions were available in a Fairmont. Especially a Futura.
    A/T C3, C4, C5.
    M/T 3spd[1978], SROD, and 4spd ET[German]
    I would think the same options were applied between Fairmonts and Futura in the respective years.
    Last edited by MAD MIKE; 02-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

Leaning towards autox. But not very competitively.

The '82/'83 Fairmont 200I6 bellhousing to engine bolt pattern changed to 2/3 of the small block Ford bolt pattern. It wouldn't take too much to modify the V8 T-5 bell housing to mate to an '82/'83 200I6 (the '81s maybe the same but there were some '81 Mustangs that had the older bolt pattern). The hard part is getting a 157 tooth flywheel with the 200I6 crank bolt pattern. It may have to be custom made. Just remember the 200I6 is internally balanced.

There is the '81 Mustang 200 I6 with non-overdrive 4 spd bellhousing that is a direct fit to the older 200I6 ('66-'80 and some '81s) which also has the correct bolt pattern for the T-5 transmission. This bell is rather rare, though.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Thank you for the help. I will look into that. My dad and I have been looking into a i6 build for quite a while. Ever since we got on the topic of Clifford performance.

Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    x2!

And www.fordsix.com for the inline 6.

I actually just purchased a brown 80 fairmont wagon. It was originally a 255 v8 car. Currently needing an engine and trans. Planning on doing a 302 aod swap.
    But first I was wondering....

1) Can I keep the column shifter.
    2) Thats all for now.

If I should make a new thread let me know.
    I will be getting pictures very soon. The car will have to wait for the snowstorm to end.

Congrats on the wagon. I'll have to leave the column shift question to someone more versed in that sort of thing, I tend to only buy/build MT cars.

I know that with the collective knowledge here, a clean AOD swap can be done. I don't know about the gear selector/indicator on the dash, but mechanically everything else should come together.

Yes, you can keep the column shifter with the AOD. The '83-'86 Fox chassis based Ford LTD/Merc Marquise had AOD trans and most were column shifters. The trick is to make sure the shift linkage on the trans can be used with the column shifter rod assy. I seem to recal the Mustang trans could still be used in a column shifted Fairmont/Zephyr but it has been awhile since I've checked this out. Whatever you do, don't forget the AOD has the TV rod or cable which directs the AOD's shifting (rather than a vacuum modulator like the C4 or C5 trans).

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Thanks guys. Woke up to about 5 inches on the ground today. It was originally a c4 car. And is actually my first automatic car.

What parts can I get from a 93 thunderbird? Its supposedly pretty rough. It has 150k miles but is only $250 and I can drive it home.
    Obviously getting the 302 and AOD.
    But disks, suspension stuff?

What parts can I get from a 93 thunderbird? Its supposedly pretty rough. It has 150k miles but is only $250 and I can drive it home.
    Obviously getting the 302 and AOD.
    But disks, suspension stuff?
    '89-'97 T birds are based on the MN12 Chassis. Its a bit of an od ball. It uses the smaller Taurus/Volvo 5 lug pattern,IFS/IRS, basically the only things I can think of that you can use would be the Engine/Transmission. Everything about the car is different.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

I would be bored as all get out with the 200 if my car did not have the SROD. I can't imagine driving the 200 in turd status with a auto.
    - Richard

Neither can I. Thats why I'm doing a 302 swap! If I like the platform as much as I think I will my long term goal currently is 351w with a t5 and full mustang suspension. But I am ironically doing a 302 aod swap because itll be "easy"

A few more questions. What would the rear end be? 7.5" obviously but I couldnt find any more markings. Finally got it home today and started the teardown and rust removal. Ill have to find the digicam later in the week.