Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The car looks great!!! Awesome father son project

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    This is what it's all about. Congrats to both of you.
    I can't get my son to check the oil, let alone step one foot in the garage. Some days I'm not sure if he knows where the gas goes. Enjoy the time together, not all of us have that.
    Get him registered on here, and get him started. Keep up the good work.
    I have the opposite problem. I can't get my dad interested at all in my car. He did help me bleed the brakes once though.

Great story! I wish my kids would sit still to do a project like this.

Finally!!!! It's alive! It's alive! We got it started this weekend. I'll take some pics later on this week and post. Now we've got to replace the rear end. Heading to the pick-n-pull to get an 8.8. We've got five lug axles already. My son was happy when it finally cranked and started running. We've had to mess with the timing a bit and chase down a few vacuum leaks but it runs now.

awesome!
    86 stang GT hatchback HX35 turbo project ( Gonna call it done....for now! no numbers yet ) now with a blown T5.

**NEW** 00' F250 4X4 supercab short bed PSD!! Straight piped and on 35's. Hoping for a tuner soon!!

02 mountaineer stock! Fiances' ride

86 50CPRI

glad to hear it, congrats!!

Default Update to this thread

I haven't posted anything in a while. We've moved from Monterey, CA to Navarre, FL so between the move, deployment, and TDYs my son and I have not done as much to his car but finally we got some time to work on it. The car is running now and moving under its own power. We've upgraded the suspension to 5-lug all the way around with lowering springs (haven't installed the rear springs yet). We're waiting on brake lines from MM to finish the brakes. We haven't installed the front mount inter-cooler yet, so the piping you see in the pics is just temporary, so we can drive the car up and down the street and in/out of the garage. My son chose the wheels, split 5-spoke just like on my '83 vert. I tried to talk him into a set of newer Mach I style or some new model torque-thrust style but he wanted wheels like mine. I'm deploying to Afghanistan again in Dec so we won't get it painted until next year sometime. Anyway, the pics aren't in order, but hope you enjoy our progress.

If that vert is any indication of what that GT Turbo is going to turn out like then it will be an awesome car!!! Great progress and great thread!!!
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

86 50CPRI

Im predicting they will turn out looking like twins. Funny, I was thinking about this thread the other day..wondering what ever happened, and lo and behold...here it is. Congrats on the progress!

Well done,cant wait for the paint job.
    Check out my album for a different turbo setup.

Ken

wow!!!! what a difference, i cant believe its the same car that i dragged out of that back yard for you, and i must say that those wheels are perfect for it! what a mean look it has. i was wondering why you didnt paint the engine bay when the motor was out? but other than that its looking great keep up the great work.
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 84NAVYCAT View Post
    wow!!!! what a difference, i cant believe its the same car that i dragged out of that back yard for you, and i must say that those wheels are perfect for it! what a mean look it has. i was wondering why you didnt paint the engine bay when the motor was out? but other than that its looking great keep up the great work.
    Yep, same car! We're going to pull the engine back out when we paint it, so it will get a full paint job (door jambs, engine bay, etc.) we get it painted. Our plan is to clean up the engine bay some, reroute some wiring, run the fmic and, probably move the battery to the back after the paint. Our goal up to now has been to get it going, that way we were able to put it on a car hauler when we PCSd under its own power. Now we can drive it around to get paint estimates instead of pulling it around. We're going to take it all apart in prep for the paint. Not a full rotisserie style but almost. We're going to remove the interior, except for the dash, pull the engine, nose, fenders and rear bumper for the repaint. Going back stock color (silver with black hood stripe). Haven't decided yet if we're going to paint the headlight surrounds black (like mine) or leave them stock silver. Thanks once again for the help. We're making slow but sure progress.

Thank you for your service to our country. It looks like you put an 84.5 nose on the '83 vert? I like it and the SVO spats too. That's a 99-00 spoiler too isn't it? Never seen one on a Fox Vert. Neat ride. I am enjoying progress on the Turbo as well. I have one and it's totally stock but still a fun car with decent power for 1984. The best memories I have period of my late Dad is working on my first car with him. Those can never be replaced. He will also appreciate the car much more having put all that sweat into it himself. Glad you updated us. Keep it going.

Ohh yeah.......be prepared for the paint estimates, LOL. Good ones are not cheap. That is when you have to decide if you want to spend more than the car is worth or not. Good Luck!
    Last edited by homer302; 06-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

What a great thread,nice work both of you and I really like both of your Silver GT's

Great update!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Thank you for your service to our country. It looks like you put an 84.5 nose on the '83 vert? I like it and the SVO spats too. That's a 99-00 spoiler too isn't it? Never seen one on a Fox Vert. Neat ride. I am enjoying progress on the Turbo as well. I have one and it's totally stock but still a fun car with decent power for 1984. The best memories I have period of my late Dad is working on my first car with him. Those can never be replaced. He will also appreciate the car much more having put all that sweat into it himself. Glad you updated us. Keep it going.

Ohh yeah.......be prepared for the paint estimates, LOL. Good ones are not cheap. That is when you have to decide if you want to spend more than the car is worth or not. Good Luck!
    Good eye for the parts on my 'vert. When I bought my vert in '97 the original nose had several tears/holes in it and I was able to find a good 84 GT nose with fog lights in a junk yard so it was a no brainer. The SVO spats I got from my brother's totaled SVO parts car he had purchased to use as a parts car for another SVO he was attempting to save. The wing is a 99-00 wing. I've never seen anyone else use one. I consider my car a multi-generational "frankenstien". I've got something from every fox generation from 79 up until 2000. Yeah, we expect a paint job to be expensive, but we want it done right and done once. Luckily there's no rust in the body, mostly just pealing paint and two small dents. We're going to try to do as much of the prep as possible ourselves to save some money. To us the value is in doing this together and this being his first car, bought with his money. I still have my first car that my dad and I built together when I was 15. It is a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr post. It stays at my dad's house since I'm in the military and move around so much. I drive it every time we go home and my dad takes it to shows during the summer.

For those that have painted the black strip on the hood and matched the grill, what kind of paint did you use? We have the GT applique (large hood sticker) for this car but I'm thinking paint may be better. Did you use base coat/clear coat? Has fading been bad?

All this was painted with the same paint. The center was masked and we put flat clear on it. It's still quite new so unsure on durability at this point but I should be able to rub, buff and remove bug stains without making a shiny spot. It should be as durable as any other gloss clear. I guess we'll see.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

[QUOTE=homer302;1408938]All this was painted with the same paint. The center was masked and we put flat clear on it. It's still quite new so unsure on durability at this point but I should be able to rub, buff and remove bug stains without making a shiny spot. It should be as durable as any other gloss clear. I guess we'll see.

I've been watching your thread. The car looks awesome! You've done a lot of work. We hope ours looks as good as yours. Our paint, obviously was not saveable. It was silver and has all but peeled off. The black on our hood is faded and thin down to the factory primer, so a full repaint is the only option. Was your clear flat or satin?
    Last edited by Silver83; 07-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.

awesome thread. Reminds me of me and my old man working on my 86. Good times

[QUOTE=Silver83;1408952]
    Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    All this was painted with the same paint. The center was masked and we put flat clear on it. It's still quite new so unsure on durability at this point but I should be able to rub, buff and remove bug stains without making a shiny spot. It should be as durable as any other gloss clear. I guess we'll see.

I've been watching your thread. The car looks awesome! You've done a lot of work. We hope ours looks as good as yours. Our paint, obviously was not saveable. It was silver and has all but peeled off. The black on our hood is faded and thin down to the factory primer, so a full repaint is the only option. Was your clear flat or satin?
    OEM the center is flat black so we used flat clear on it.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

[QUOTE=homer302;1409262]
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver83 View Post

OEM the center is flat black so we used flat clear on it.
    I like your CBR900....
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Silver83 View Post
    For those that have painted the black strip on the hood and matched the grill, what kind of paint did you use? We have the GT applique (large hood sticker) for this car but I'm thinking paint may be better. Did you use base coat/clear coat? Has fading been bad?
    Graphics Express has a a paint stencil for the center stripe used on the 83-84 GT. It includes a stencil for the GT lettering so you can use paint instead of the decal letters. When it comes to the black paint, it seems like SEM Trim Black is a popular choice here at FEP. It is a satin finishe, but I like the method that Homer used by using a statin/matte finish clearcoat to minimize maintenance down the road.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Car looks great,any updates?

Ken

Nothing? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

New User

Default One of the best posted I have ever seen on this site.

My son is 5 now and he;s a mans man so we will see if he will be into mustangs.

If he is we will have to build one for him as long as its not going to be faster than mine !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast