Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Congratulations on finishing, she looks incredible! You're right about the seats, I did do a double take when I looked at them. I especially like the orange around the dash bezels...that looks great. It looks like redline goods made you guys the shift boot and enrage cover...very nice.

You guys have done an excellent job restoring a rare fox. Now it will be on the road for many years to come. Those wheels were a great choice btw, they look awesome. The only thing that doesn't flow (for me) is the tail pipe. I would cut it down and then angle cut the tip, it just looks a bit out of place with the rest of the car.

Oh, and where are the engine shots? Anyway, you guys really nailed this build. The car looks amazing...have fun!
    Thanks for the compliments. We did get a redline goods shifter boot and e-brake handle boot, black with orange French stitching. The exhaust is the Stinger 3" exhaust, when there's some more money in budget we plan on getting polished stainless tailpipe. We'll most likely angle cut the tip like you suggested. We'll post up some engine pics when we get the turbo to VAM pipe fabricated. We'll be hopefully finishing up the last few minor details between now and summer, but my son was anxious to get it on the road and start driving.

Did you have to modify the 87-89 quarters?
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    Did you have to modify the 87-89 quarters?
    We had to modify them a little to get them to fit. You must use 87-89 rear interior panel so that the b-pillar seat belt mounting locations line up. We had to trim the quarter window opens about 1/2 inch. That's because on 87-93 'stangs the quarter windows mount on the outside of the body, but on 79-86 they mount on the inside. Once we trimmed the window opening we used door edge u-channel trim to cover the trimmed area giving a factory appearance. I had to mount a small piece of metal on the rear-most quarter panel screw location in order to have something for the screw to go into. Other than those small modifications everything lined up great. One last thing, for the hatch carpet you must use 87-93 hatch carpet, 79-86 hatch carpet is not wide enough due to the relocation of the speakers toward the front. I didn't know there was a width difference until after we had already order the complete 84-86 charcoal gray carpet kit. Our upholsterer made us a new one to fit in the correct color.

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

You two guys should be proud of your work, and the time you spent together. Please accept a couple of tips from an "old guy".... take a good look the the rubber hose that attaches to the waste gate on the turbo, and make sure that it is away from a source of excessive heat so you don't burn a hole in it, resulting in a huge over-boost condition with very bad results. ( ask me how I know this...) , and the flat ends, or "face" of the door striker posts are supposed to be painted the same color as the body, I just had the plastic bushing break on my Capri, and when I get a replacement, I have to get the end and large washer painted white.
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Can you get some better pics of widow area? Thanks.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Can you get some better pics of widow area? Thanks.
    X222. Thanks for your service. My dad was in the USAF from 50-72. Taught my brother and me on lawn mowers. Now I have an 85 GT to play with and the two of us built a couple of cars together, including a 10 second 83 Regal with a methanol injected Buick 455 in it. I would love to see more on how you modded the quarters...I hate where the speakers are on a 85. Are the rear seats the same or are they narrower?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

The rear seats are the same. I have 84 quarter panels and 89 seats in mine.

That GT has really come a long way, you guys did a great job with it. Shame about the hail damage.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Hey very nice job guys! Son did a great job, really proud Dad I'm sure. Funny how that baby faced chubby kid grew up to a big man! That's great guys. Also, I thought I saw a Qatar shirt in the beginning of the build, I'm about to retire myself. Thanks for the pleasure of letting us see the build through. To your Son, respect that car and the power and you both will be around a long time. Thumbs up guys

I'll take some pictures of the interior rear panels this weekend and post them up. We liked how they turned out. The rear seats are the same as far as I know as long as the are the split rear seats and not the single seat.

Here are some more pictures of the interior and the rear panels. We also installed lighted sunvisors from a 90 Mustang. The lights aren't on in this picture because I had the battery disconnected. As well we installed the lighted rear panel from an 87-89 Mustang. The last picture shows the triangle around the inside quarter window opening we trimmed off. It's about 3/4 inch trimmed off all around. To secure the rear-most screw of the rear interior quarter panel I actually screwed a strip of sheet metal about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch wide to the original locations on the body for the old rear panels and drilled a hole in the sheet metal strip to screw in the new panels.

Man. Looks awesome. I have the same issue with my grey '84. So many shades of grey over the years. I love it anyway and I am sure you guys do too. It is what it is. This is an awesome ride that any kid should be proud to get to drive, let alone own. You seem like a great Dad. I have to say though, it's not my car obviously so I am just giving input. I would just have to change out that steering wheel. I was driving these back in 1984 and I hated that wheel since the first day I saw one. There are all kinds of cheap OEM Mustang wheels that work and keep the cruise if that is the goal. If you don't need the cruise, the options are obviously unlimited practically.
    Congrats on a great job and a super nice rare and tastefully done ride. I like this a lot.

Here is mine with many, many shades of grey.....

Last edited by homer302; 03-14-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Very nicely done.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Very nicely done.
    Agreed. Looking very nice.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Some more updates. We put the body side molding on the driver's side, cleaned up the engine bay a little more, and added the Ford Motorsport valve cover. We have encountered one problem we'll have to address pretty soon. I think I have a bad IAC. The car doesn't want to idle. It revs up and down and won't maintain idle speed. It's either a bad IAC or we've got a vacuum/air leak somewhere. Although I've sprayed carb/injector cleaner around all vacuum and intake pathways and can't detect a change in idle. This will be something we'll have to address once we get back from vacation. That issue aside, my son has been driving a lot now. He's getting used to a 5 spd behind a 2.3 turbo, which for the initiated can sometimes be a finicky throttle, especially in 1st and 2nd. Here are some photo updates.

Last edited by Silver83; 04-10-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Looking sharp. The only other fox I want is an 84 1/2 Turbo GT, and I wanted a white one but this silver one is really swaying me.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

It looks beautiful, you guys really outdid yourselves. That Motorsport valve cover looks great btw.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

About your idle issue... good grounds are everything. Ground the engine to the firewall, ground the engine block to the battery, check the ground at the computer box ( a ground strap to the body), make sure all grounds are to shiny metal. I like a thin film of wheel bearing grease on the battery posts also, after they are shiny bright.
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567