Close

View Poll Results: Do you think Summit Ford Dominator Mustangs are:

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • On Par with Predator Mustangs, Yenko Camaros

20 50.00%
  • Dealer Sticker Package and Nothing Special!

20 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm glad this thread got bumped. To me, my Dominator isn't a joke. It's very much the opposite. I'm so proud of it, even in its current state. I was born in 1997, and my Dominator was built in early 1983. The car is nearly twice my age! Look at our FEP Dominator registry... that's not a whole lot of cars. They're pretty hard to come by... if they haven't had the day lights beaten out of them, wrecked or forgotten and rotting away then they're getting restored. While they have a small following, everyone likes to see them because they're different. I got lots of compliments on my car in my thread and that's awesome. People who know what they are appreciate them a lot. To me, that makes it no joke.

FEP Senior Member

Like stated,comparing to the Yenko is off base,the Yenkos after all had real performance upgrades.
    The closest comparison in my opinion would be the NorthWest Torino.While I admit to not knowing all there is to know about the Torino N/W,they were a regional dealer package,which would make them a better comparison to the Dominators.

The N/W Torino's do bring a premium over the standard models,I just don't think the N/W 351(I think there were a few N/W cars with a 429 under the hood) cars are at the level of the 429 equipped factory cars.
    I would think the Dominators would be in that vein,collectible in the Fox realm?Yes.Anything special?Time will tell.

OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

The people that think cars like this are a joke are the same people that don't appreciate the Mustang II's or early foxes in general. Any limited, special, or regional edition Mustang (even if the changes made are only cosmetic) is collectible and will prove to be worth more (than a regular production car) in the long run. There value will depend on a lot of things such as number produced, options, popularity/desirability, race history, etc, but I believe they will lead the foxes in price and demand. One of the biggest problems with cars like Dominators, Predators, Twisters, etc is that most people don't know a whole lot (if anything) about them. All of that is starting to change now that the foxes are becoming more popular to restore and collect.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

86 50CPRI

Not that I rely on Wikipedia for much, but this was worded appropriately(and I think it applies to many automotive 'enthusiasts':

"Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware
    Individuals with superficial knowledge of a topic or subject may be worse off than people who know absolutely nothing. As Charles Darwin observed, "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."[3]
    Ignorance can stifle learning, especially if the ignorant person believes that they are not ignorant. A person who falsely believes he or she is knowledgeable will not seek out clarification of his or her beliefs, but rather rely on his or her ignorant position. He or she may also reject valid but contrary information, neither realizing its importance nor understanding it. "

I think, personally, I might have seen ONE Dominator or Predator in person... I remember seeing an '85/86 GT with the GT302 stripes on the side and thinking to myself' What is THAT? I wondered if Shelby had put something out, but never heard about it.

My point, as others have said, outside the mid west, there wasn't a lot of knowledge about them. I was 20 in '85, college grad, and working hard. If ANYONE was eager to learn about these, I was in prime time! But all I can recall hearing was it was a special dealer package from 'somewhere'. Out here in Arizona, the gearheads I hung with didn't know about them.

I think the true ignorance of a lot of people has cast these cars in a certain light. Now, in the information age, folks that are interested to learn more can whet their appetites to find out how special these cars are, but I don't think the masses will be won over.

To compare any special-edition Fox to a Yenko Camaro is comparing apples and oranges. By the
    time the Fox Mustangs were in production, the days of dealers stuffing what ever engines they
    wanted to stuff in cars like Yenko Camaros or Tasca Cobra Jet Mustangs was long gone. Dealers
    simply did not have deep enough pockets to be able to recertify any changes that might affect
    emissions or crashworthiness.

Back in the '70s and '80s, it was prohibitively expensive for even the car companies to offer very
    many engine/trans/car body combinations, because every one of them had to go through the full
    certification process. For instance, an engine that was certified for use in a Crown Vic could not
    be sold in a Mustang unless it was certified in a Mustang, and may have also required a fresh set
    of crash tests. Even something as simple as putting a manual transmission in place of an automatic
    would trigger a complete recertification for emissions compliance.

That's why it was such a big deal when Steve Saleen produced the SSC, and that wasn't even an
    engine swap.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Cool

All really Great feedback Guys! Many valid points. In regards to the Emissions Modifications. Summit was actually threatened and voluntarily recalled cars they had put rear gears in. Also check out the wording on this Invoice for one of the Dominator III's!! Look for the Yellow Arrow! Guess thats how they thought they could get around selling the car with modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    To compare any special-edition Fox to a Yenko Camaro is comparing apples and oranges. By the
    time the Fox Mustangs were in production, the days of dealers stuffing what ever engines they
    wanted to stuff in cars like Yenko Camaros or Tasca Cobra Jet Mustangs was long gone. Dealers
    simply did not have deep enough pockets to be able to recertify any changes that might affect

Back in the '70s and '80s, it was prohibitively expensive for even the car companies to offer very
    many engine/trans/car body combinations, because every one of them had to go through the full
    certification process. For instance, an engine that was certified for use in a Crown Vic could not
    be sold in a Mustang unless it was certified in a Mustang, and may have also required a fresh set
    of crash tests. Even something as simple as putting a manual transmission in place of an automatic

That's why it was such a big deal when Steve Saleen produced the SSC, and that wasn't even an
    engine swap.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

I can't remember the year,it may have been later than 86, but a dealer here in Winsted, Ct, Lumbard Ford was selling Special Lumbard Ford editions.
    I don't remember if they modified them or just stickered them.
    But think of this, in 67 or 68 they made the California Specials and other regional packages that people desire now.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

No joke to me. I love 'em. I hope they are worth Yenko money by next week! Seriously......wouldn't that be awesome?
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post

engine swap.
    The 67-68 Yenkos were straight engine swaps using crated L-72 427's identical to the engines found in the Corvette/full size cars. The 69 Yenko Camaros/Chevelles were nothing but sticker jobs. The 69 Yenko Novas were supposedly straight 427 swaps, but since a couple of cars that appear on the YSC VIN list have been found with their original 396/375 engines intact, those cars have become something of an enigma. The 70 Yenko Deuce Novas are, again, sticker jobs.

The cars sold through Motion had real performance upgrades, but nothing that the average gearhead couldn't do in his garage. Head to the Chevy dealer, pick up a new L-88 crate motor, some headers, hot ignition, Tarantula intake and a big Holley, and that pretty much sums up what Motion was doing at the time.

Fast forward 20 years, and you find the Stage III Dominators with extensive engine mods, Tommie Vaughn Ford offering 5.0's with ARI heads, and later complete GT40 top end kits and superchargers, Kenny Brown offering modded Mustangs up to 425 horsepower, the Crawford Quarterhorses with built 347 strokers, etc. I guess don't see how the comparison is "apples and oranges".

Was that sort of skullduggery much more dangerous in the 80's than it had been in the 60's? Absolutely. Were people still doing it? Yep.
    Last edited by Droog; 01-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

I thought EVERYBODY on this site wanted the "Four Eye Mustang" to "ALWAYS BE" and "ALWAYS REMAIN" $1,000 cars????

That appears to be the thought of many members of this site when you read their posts about Four Eye Mustang values.

Has something changed????
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Hey guys, new member but have been cruising this site for years. Thought id chime in if that's ok. I have known about the Dominator mustangs for years. ( I live near Lee's Summit so id see them occasionally. I even test drove on in the early 90's. Last week I had a couple minutes to kill so I stopped into the dealership where the creator of the Dominator works. Just ask him some general questions and he told a couple stories. He seemed really excited to relive some of those memories. Im seriously thinking about having him modify my carb to dominator specs. Not that it would be any better than a good carb, I just think it would be cool. He also told me what other mods I would need to do to make it a stage 1. He also mentioned that Anderson Racing will reproduce the Stage 3 engine. For a price! I have to admit I kind of nerded out alittle. I wanted to talk to him all day but I knew he was busy so I thanked him for his time and I went on my way. I do wish I would have asked him how the "Dominator" name came about. He was really cool about it. I hope to run into him again. Anyway, just thought id share my story with those might be interested. (my wife didn't seem very interested)

Welcome Chuck to FEP! Thanks for sharing your story! Was it Vince that you stopped and talked to?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    Hey guys, new member but have been cruising this site for years. Thought id chime in if that's ok. I have known about the Dominator mustangs for years. ( I live near Lee's Summit so id see them occasionally. I even test drove on in the early 90's. Last week I had a couple minutes to kill so I stopped into the dealership where the creator of the Dominator works. Just ask him some general questions and he told a couple stories. He seemed really excited to relive some of those memories. Im seriously thinking about having him modify my carb to dominator specs. Not that it would be any better than a good carb, I just think it would be cool. He also told me what other mods I would need to do to make it a stage 1. He also mentioned that Anderson Racing will reproduce the Stage 3 engine. For a price! I have to admit I kind of nerded out alittle. I wanted to talk to him all day but I knew he was busy so I thanked him for his time and I went on my way. I do wish I would have asked him how the "Dominator" name came about. He was really cool about it. I hope to run into him again. Anyway, just thought id share my story with those might be interested. (my wife didn't seem very interested)
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Thanks! Yes it was Vince. Didn't know if I could mention his name or not. Great website guys and gals (im assuming there are some gals on here). Not a dominator but restoring a '84 1/2 gt T-top so I will be searching thru here a lot.

You've come to the right place for info on our cars. You should start a introduction thread with some pics of your car. You will find guys around here love to see pics. Condition doesn't matter. We are planning to have a Dominator get together at the May 10th Mustang Club of KC Cruise Night. The Cruise in is welcome to all Auto Enthusiasts so your welcome to come out!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    Welcome Chuck to FEP! Thanks for sharing your story! Was it Vince that you stopped and talked to?
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12