Close

Default How to rebuild your own t5 with tons of pictures

This is an article I've been meaning to write some time. While there are a couple of nice video's out there, sometimes a nice tech article with simple pictures can't be beat. I'm going to start halfway through the build on mainshaft construction. I didn't take pics of disassembly and cluster shaft...so next time I put together a t5, I'll finish the article and post that up. I'll also show how next time to set input shaft and cluster shaft play/load.

As well, if I have a lack of technical terms for some parts, you'll have to excuse me, I'm home learned here.

For now, i'll post up the meat of the build.

-take your mainshaft and place it in a vice so that the long end of the shaft points up as show. Insert your springs into the slider on the shaft so that they wind opposite directions as shown in the slot on the slider where the key goes.

-insert your outer blocker ring, your new lined syncro (lubed in atf), and your inner syncro part not shown and slide them down until it bottoms out on the slider on the shaft as shown.

-soak the needle bearing unit in atf and slide it on until it rests on top of the syncro's

-slide first gear on with the dog teeth pointing down as shown and make sure the slots between the dog teeth go in with the tabs that are sticking out on the syncro

-next, lube the big bearing in atf, slide it on (non press fit), slide on the fifth gear drive as shown, then put the locking c clip onto the mainshaft. It should fit perfectly in the groove for the clip. sometimes the 5th drive gear slides on, other times it's a press fit. If you don't have a press, you can use old bearing races, or get creative and place it over the mainshaft onto the gear and tap it down with a hammer until it seats.

-next goes on the speedo drive gear. the black retainer clip snaps into the hole in the mainshaft, and you gently tap the plastic gear onto the black clip until it snaps into place on the plastic gear. Shown here is the green gear, which comes on 90+ t5's and is good only up till 3.27 rear gears. The YELLOW gear that comes on pre 90 units is good to 3.73's, and you can buy a black gear that will handle 4.10's +

-The next step is to turn around the mainshaft in the vice.
    -next slip your keys into the slots on the slider. There are 3 keys. I use my fingers to hold all three in place, but you can use a rubber band to hold them in place while you slide the slider on.. Make sure that the outer blocker ring tab slots line up with the keys you've just inserted, if you don't, you'll break a key, or the 1/2 slider won't go on.

-If you look inside the other slider shown, there are three sets of three indentations on the inside of the slider. the middle indentation on each of the three sets gets lined up with the key that you've inserted into the inner slider part. Carefully place the slider on as shown and slide the slider down. A few karate type chops without TOO much force will help it down.

-if it's not going down, several things to look for are that the keys are lined up perfectly with the slots in the outer black blocker ring, and that the keys haven't actually slipped down. On occasion they will slip down while installing the outer slider and overlap the black blocker ring. Make sure they don't do this.

-Next you have two large thick spacers. the larger goes on now. You can't goof this up, the smaller won't fit

-the spiral lock, as I believe it's called goes on next. There is a super thin slot in the mainshaft. Seperate this spiral lock with a tiny screwdriver and wind it around the mainshaft as shown, then tap it down until it perfectly "snaps" into the groove on the mainshaft

-Two thin spacers come in the kit...again, only one will fit right...at this point it's the larger that you slip on, and it'll rest right on top of that spiral lock

Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

-the next routine is similar to what you did with first gear. Place the outer, middle and inner syncro pieces (lubed in atf)all onto the mainshaft until it looks as follows

-put the next needle bearing assembly (lubed in atf)on (there are a total of three, and each is a different size..they only go onto the specific places, so if it doesn't fit right, you're using the wrong one.

-install second gear with dog teeth point down so slots in the gear slide over the tabs on the syncro's

-Next is the second thick spacer, slide it on

-the next snap ring goes on. It should again fit perfectly into the slot on the mainshaft. If it does not, you did something wrong

-the other thin spacer goes on next

-then the final needle bearing assembly (lubed in atf) with third gear slipped over the top as shown

-lube your carbon fiber syncro and place it over the top of third gear as shown

-next, grab your 3/4 slider assembly and place it on top of third gear..make sure tabs in syncro line up with the assembly. Press it onto the shaft. OR you can use a big socket and tap it onto the shaft with a hammer

-next oil up the flat bearing, and install FIRST the flat bearing race, then put down the flat bearing on top of it

final shot

-Shown here are the 3/4 slider on the left with the type of key it needs, and the 5th slider on the right. The inner thin black springs wind opposite directions on each side, just like you did first. Place the inner part of the slider down on the table, then the outer part....(there may be three sets of three grooves on the inside of the outer slider, if there is, line it up where the key will go. Once your inner and outer slider are on the table, THEN insert the keys. When the keys are inserted, install one of the springs onto the assembly with the point of the spring going into a key, carefully pick it up, turn it over, and insert the point of the other spring into the same key on the other side, winding the opposite direction

Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

-center the lever in the case, insert the long end of the shaft with the plastic gear into the case first (this is assuming you've already installed the cluster shaft)...the slide the mainshaft in

-small front washer goes on next. NOTE, this is just to help aid lubricating. It's not 100% necessary. While this piece comes in all rebuild kits, it wasn't installed on the early t5's...you can put it on the t5 if it doesn't have one, but it won't kill you if you leave it out if you don't have one

-put the large bearing race onto the backside as shown

-put a LIGHT coat of wheel bearing grease on the inside of the bottom of the input shaft and insert your bearings one at a time

-install the input shaft. The groove on the input shaft goes down towards the large gear on the bottom of the case. it'll only slide on one way.

-install the bearing retainer. Install it dry the first time and just put on two bolts, as we'll be taking it off again after we measure load. Make sure the bearing race is in the retainer

-just for kicks, here is the taller sn95 input shaft and bearing retainer next to the fox input shaft and a CAST IRON bearing retainer which is all one piece (better than the steel ones)

Jeremy

that's it for now.

next time I crack one open, I'll walk you through disassembly, installing the counter/cluster shaft and setting load on it, as well as installing 5th gear, the tail shaft and lid and setting input shaft load.
    Jeremy

Jeremy, a suggestion-
    http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...ct_Code=M465TJ
    Has better "stick" than bearing grease, and it's more compatible with the blocker ring material.
    I believe there's a Cal-Tex warehouse out your direction. They carry TransJel.

Oh, and clean off that workbench...
    Last edited by JACook; 12-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

great suggestion! I'll look up cal-tex right now.

These pics are over a year ago...a couple of months back I completely cleaned my bench up
    Jeremy

Just looked up...they've got a place in anaheim...Thanks! A new supply place for me to go to. Currently I get all my parts from anaheim gear or west coast standards out here in corona....I'll call them up for my next build and check out their prices.

I've gotten pretty friendly with the guys at west coast and anaheim gear..west coast gives me the syncro/bearing/small parts kit now for $143 + tax... and the full super alloy z spec upgrade for $600 good prices
    Jeremy

Yeah, Anaheim is the one I usually go to. They also have locations in Ontario and Riverside.
    I don't know for sure, but I believe Cal-Tex only does automatic transmission parts.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

ohh..I think you're right, now memory serves me..i've called them b4..you're right about that.

Have you rebuilt a 3650 before? I've got one under my bench I've been dying to learn on
    Jeremy

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

The first few you do are always an up hill climb.after you get an "eye" and some bench time they are all easy to diagnose and build.
    Now about those odd parts though that you need that never seems to get any easier
    Nice write up and props to you for having the nuts to give it a try.You don't know how many people will scrounge every last cent out of every thing else but are scared to dig into a transmission.
    That is how I started building the years ago.Best of luck to you and be scared of nothing!
    Automatics are for girls

The first few you do are always an up hill climb.after you get an "eye" and some bench time they are all easy to diagnose and build.
    Now about those odd parts though that you need that never seems to get any easier
    Nice write up and props to you for having the nuts to give it a try.You don't know how many people will scrounge every last cent out of every thing else but are scared to dig into a transmission.
    That is how I started building them years ago.Best of luck to you and be scared of nothing!
    Automatics are for girls

my bro and I have been trying to get a successful side business for years. LOL, about 2-3 years ago, we decided to found thompsontransmission, and that we were going into business rebuilding mustang transmissions.

nevermind the fact that neither of us had ever cracked the shell on a single trans ever.

Well, I bought the video, and made my way through it, just to drop the trans on the floor during final tailshaft install...and jammed things up inside.

I gave up for an entire year, before coming back to it. I ditched the trans rebuild business idea...but now I just do it on the side locally for friends mainly and extra mod money cash
    Jeremy

Ther will be carnage on occasion lol.We had a fresh built AOD slip off a trans jack once and land like you say on the tailshaft.Big OUCH.Took a ring off of the output shaft.OOPS!
    It happens but you will learn building tricks over time and hopefully you will learn to love it like I do.
    I used to build 350 turbos for my so called drag racing friends.A kit,Bushings and labor barring any real hard parts damage with a few bang shift tricks thrown in was only $250.
    They found someone to half ass patch and call them builds for $200.
    That worked out well for them when they couldn't get 2 passes out of them.Now I tell them that I cannot even remember how to build one
    Hopefully your friends aren't as thrifty as most of mine!
    Automatics are for girls

admittably, I have done a "thrifty" build twice. I have spec'd out the new syncro's so I know how much meat are supposed to be on them. I save my old syncro's that come out of trannies I build when the syncro's have meat on them. I've done a friend/family build a couple of times where I slap it together will all used syncro's and bearings, and so far haven't had any issues.
    Jeremy

one day I'll get the nerve to rebuild my 7003x T5
    '85 GT 4 time feature car
    '86 GT sold
    '88 GT pretty dang original
    '85 GT project

I have done a "thrifty" build twice. I have spec'd out the new syncro's so I know how much meat are supposed to be on them. I save my old syncro's that come out of trannies I build when the syncro's have meat on them. I've done a friend/family build a couple of times where I slap it together will all used syncro's and bearings, and so far haven't had any issues????

=== Solitaire ===
    Last edited by alfredalfred; 06-18-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredalfred View Post
    I have done a "thrifty" build twice. I have spec'd out the new syncro's so I know how much meat are supposed to be on them. I save my old syncro's that come out of trannies I build when the syncro's have meat on them. I've done a friend/family build a couple of times where I slap it together will all used syncro's and bearings, and so far haven't had any issues????

waleeed
    This thread is old. I've built well over 200 t5s over a decade. My standard practice is to combine new and old parts. You only replace what is worn. I'm able to offer rock bottom prices, and they never come back. Absolutely no issues with re using bearings and synchros, so long as they spec out ok

Also check out my YouTube videos. I have videos on t56 rebuilds, TKO 500/600/3550 rebuild, and the new coyote mt82 getrag rebuild
    Jeremy

Blog Entries

What is your YouTube channel called?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

It's under my name Jeremy Thompson. Here is one of my videos, you should be able to use it to find my others.

https://youtu.be/2cie-9wzQ4Q
    Jeremy