Close

Default 85 RS resto questions

I have a few resto related questions. I am working on a 85 Capri RS T-Top.

Here goes:

1) How many variations of grey were there for the interior?

2) What color was the trim, and lower half of the car(looking for paint codes here)

3) Does anybody make replacement panels? Drivers rear quarter?

I am new to the whole option deal. I don't have to worry with the SVO's....everthing was the same color, well mostly.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MeatSack; 12-04-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: #3

1) How many variations of grey were there for the interior?

84-86 were all the same grey. However, Ford varied the grey a bit from the dash pad to the door panels to the dash to the plastic panels. NOS panels are very close but there is a bit of variation. They probably diverge in color as they age.

2) What color was the trim, and lower half of the car(looking for paint codes here)

Charcoal grey. Do a search of charcoal grey paint codes here. We have a PPG code but not the satin formula. Many just use SEM Charcoal bumper trim paint.

No.

There you go. Good luck find parts for these cars. There out there but tough. I have a 85 rs myself and oh boy do I have to fix some stuff up. good luck on your ride. Hope you find what your looking for on here
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

84-86 grey was Charcoal grey?

Anyone have pics of an original interior?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatSack View Post
    84-86 grey was Charcoal grey?

Anyone have pics of an original interior?

Thanks.
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Other...pris/index.htm

Last three cars.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    84-86 were all the same grey. However, Ford varied the grey a bit from the dash pad to the door panels to the dash to the plastic panels. NOS panels are very close but there is a bit of variation. They probably diverge in color as they age.
    True, though there were two different colors of carpet used in the Mustang, at least, depending on the seat option. Not sure if they did the same in the Capri. The standard seats got a dark gray carpet that matches the charcoal gray interior color. The sport seats (the ones with the halo headrest, leg bolster, and red piping) came with a lighter gray carpet (both floor and door panel).
    -- Brian

Have:
    '01 Mustang Cobra
    '74 F-100

Had:
    '84½ GT T-top
    '83 GT T-top
    '85 LX V6 Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by bkaul View Post
    True, though there were two different colors of carpet used in the Mustang, at least, depending on the seat option. Not sure if they did the same in the Capri. The standard seats got a dark gray carpet that matches the charcoal gray interior color. The sport seats (the ones with the halo headrest, leg bolster, and red piping) came with a lighter gray carpet (both floor and door panel).
    What year?

I don't think this is true for 85-86. All cars got the light grey.

84 was a different carpet color than 85-86. I thought all cars got the darker grey carpet for that year.

The carpet had to match the door panel carpet. There were no variations within a single year for either the Mustang or Capri that I am aware of.

-Mike

You're probably right. What I was thinking was that the cars with the two-tone sport seats with red piping got lighter carpet even with the same color grey interior, but other than that the grey interiors were the same color for the '84-'86 years. I'm not sure the '84s got the two-tone sport seats with red piping (my '84 doesn't have the sport seats, and the only one I've seen that did was an SVO with the leather interior); it may've just been '85-'86 models that got that upholstery. I know the '84 has the same style stitching as the '83 on the door panels, rather than the same as the '85-'86 - the same is true of the seats and carpet, so far as I know. Either way, same color plastic; carpet matches the seats, right? Even if not different carpet for same year, still two colors within the '84-'86 range mentioned ...
    Last edited by bkaul; 12-12-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    -- Brian

Have:
    '01 Mustang Cobra
    '74 F-100

Had:
    '84½ GT T-top
    '83 GT T-top
    '85 LX V6 Hatchback

OK, found pics of an '85 with leather seats but the light carpet - verifies that you're correct and the carpet is purely a model-year issue (assuming it's original as claimed), not a match-the-seats thing ...

Still, I don't know of any other color changes in the grey interiors on '84-'86 cars besides the carpet and seats.
    -- Brian

Have:
    '01 Mustang Cobra
    '74 F-100

Had:
    '84½ GT T-top
    '83 GT T-top
    '85 LX V6 Hatchback

Though to confuse the issue, this '86 SVO has the dark grey carpet ... if it's original:

-- Brian

Have:
    '01 Mustang Cobra
    '74 F-100

Had:
    '84½ GT T-top
    '83 GT T-top
    '85 LX V6 Hatchback

Thank you! I thought it was odd for two different shades, but that is stock.

You will have to search junk yards. Also watch out for 84 and older Capri's because where the rear marker light is there are no holes for the light used on 85/86's and I have heard the stamping is not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bkaul View Post
    Though to confuse the issue, this '86 SVO has the dark grey carpet ... if it's original:

I think the SVO might be different carpet. Dunno on the SVO really.

Carpet aside though, 84-86 grey should be the same for the other panels.

-Mike

SVO's had a dark charcoal carpet, whereby all other Mustangs and Capri's received the standard grey/silver as seen in the image of the convertible.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post

You will have to search junk yards. Also watch out for 84 and older Capri's because where the rear marker light is there are no holes for the light used on 85/86's and I have heard the stamping is not the same.
    My 83 RS has the marker lights on the rear quarters.
    It's 82 and older Capri's. But the marker light hole can be modified into the quarter easily.
    Good-luck finding parts. Capri's are very difficult to restore when it comes to locating panels.
    Cheers...Bob (83 V8 RS T's)

My foureyed cars of the past:
    86 Mustang Cobra GT I miss this one!
    81 Mustang 3.3L I-6 Hatchback

The one I'll never sell:
    83 Capri RS 5.0L T-top

FEP Senior Member

hey repo-man,keep checking craigslist and[choke]e-bay.i'll keep an eye out 4 ya,since i know what you need.

Well it's due to go under the knife in a week or two. I will let you know.

FEP Senior Member

kind of cringed when i read that!

you can get a replacement mustang quarter from mustangs unlimited. i bought one. idk if i would recomend it though. the divit in between the bodyline was wayy shallower than it was factory. and the slope was different below the trim line as well. but with a hammer and some skills of a friend it was in place and fits good
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

Quote Originally Posted by mossybull View Post
    kind of cringed when i read that!

No worries, I am just dying to find out what that panel looks like under the mud. I want to know if I have to track down a replacement panel. Then comes the bodywork!

Quote Originally Posted by jvaughan View Post
    you can get a replacement mustang quarter from mustangs unlimited. i bought one. idk if i would recomend it though. the divit in between the bodyline was wayy shallower than it was factory. and the slope was different below the trim line as well. but with a hammer and some skills of a friend it was in place and fits good
    Mustang quarters won't work on a Capri.

Here's another one:

Mustang and Capri headlight bezels are different....correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MeatSack View Post
    Here's another one:

Mustang and Capri headlight bezels are different....correct?
    Correct.

I am assuming the light gray carpet will be the Oxford gray (853) instead of the charcoal (897)? Can anyone confirm this? Here is my 85 vert with the leather seats as pictured above but as you can see the carpet has seen it's better days.

lilred, simply request a few swatches from FMR before you buy their carpet.

You should be able to tell what one is correct for your car and you can always call up FMR and ask them what they recommend for a correct color match. They know our cars inside and out.

-Mike