Close

Default Trim paint question

I am restoring an 86 black GT T-top. Is all the trim, (around the windows, cowl, and t-tops) charcoal the same as the body mouldings and headlight buckets this way from factory? I was thinking of painting all that upper trim, "Trim black" and leaving the body mouldings charcoal. Anyone do it this way? What paint is the original charcoal color? Pics if you have any. Thanks.

Belt trim is a lighter tone of grey on the black 86 GT for sure.

top of doors, window trim, headlight area, and rear trim was a very low sheen black. Like an eggshell finish. It doesn't hold up to sun at all. Lots of people scuff it then use Krylon Black self priming in a satin finish to restore it.

I believe the hood took a flat black decal with a silver GT sticker. The hatch had a silver "mustang GT" sticker.

It doesn't have to be 100% correct as long as you like it.

My sons 1986GT is 100% satin black in these areas with a flat hood decal and no silver sticker.

The last time I redid my 86GT I painted everything except the belt trim gloss black in base/clear. An 83 'GT' sticker - the one that goes on their fender - is what I put on my hatch.

I am not actually putting the hood sticker on the car..

Yea - we see that a lot.

Also some just paint it on.