Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Battery Recommendations?

Can anybody recommend a good battery for my 1983 GT? It should be a 56 series.

I know they make a Motorcraft, which would be nice for show, but I'm hearing bad things about the quality.

Open for suggestions. Thanks!

I always use the Interstate Megatron Plus series batteries in everything I drive... I have never been let down...

Interstates are good batterys, but cost it too. I just have a duralast but its been good to me especially since my car sits weeks at a time

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    Interstates are good batterys, but cost it too. I just have a duralast but its been good to me especially since my car sits weeks at a time
    built to last duralast. i have one of these and its has not let me down yet... the warrenty is not bad either
    1989 Mustang GT " the race car"
    1986 Mustang GT " the dd"
    1985 Mustang LX T-Top " wife's ride"

Quote Originally Posted by jc306na View Post
    I always use the Interstate Megatron Plus series batteries in everything I drive... I have never been let down...
    Yup.

I've used the EverStart Maxx (yellow) batteries that WalMart sells for about a 100 dollars and they are great. Good price and they look good under the hood too. 3 year warranty
    FOR SALE: 1984 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Edition with '86 Roller V8

Show of hands how many of you with Duralast, Interstate, and others have acid residue
    on top of your batteries right now.

There's more to battery selection than just being reliable. Consider the cost of what
    acid eats up, or how often you're willing to do the baking soda routine.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

top of mines clean

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    top of mines clean
    +1

And I'm not buying an optima just to avoid a little cleanup

I have an Optima red-top in mine. It was worth the money.

I also have an Optima Red-Top in mine. Never had a problem either. But they are on the expensive side. I just needed the extra cranking amps. Seems the cheaper batteries always leave me sitting somewhere. The Optima hasn't left me sitting yet... Knock on wood.
    Stock shortblock 302, World Products J/R Heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, Tmoss ported Holley Systemaxx, 75mm Accufab TB, 92mm Pro-M Meter, C4 w/ PTC 3400 stall, 4.10 gear...7.694 @ 88.49 mph and 12.157 @ 109.32mph.New Times Coming Soon!!

i have the optima red top in mine too!
    its a good battery!
    =]

I don't think Motorcraft MAKES their batteries....its the same generic battery as all the others you see out there, just with a Motorcraft lable on it. I could be wrong on that....but I bought an Autocraft Silver and an Autocraft Titanium from Advanced Auto for my '05 S-281 and my '94 F-350....save for the labels they were the exact same battery that was removed with the Motorcraft lables.

That being said...the last three Motorcraft labeled BXL-56's I bought for my
    4i cars have been more than satisfactory. Mine sit all winter with no trickle charger, and have plenty of power to fire up about every 6 weeks.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

optima red top all the way it has never failed me at the track

FEP Super Member

any optima is WIN
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

I have Diehard batteries and have had very good luck with them.

Sean
    United We 'Stang

'79 Capri RS Turbo (Original and Running)
    '79 Capri Roller (Project - needs parts)
    '83 GT 5.0 T-Top (Project - Running) (Currently the restoration victim)
    '85 GT 5.0 Vert (Project)
    '84 SVO (Project - Not Running)
    '86 SVO (Project - Running)

Former Mustangs

'71 Mach1 429 (Sold - Still Missed) ..... '73 Grande 351c (Sold)
    '75 Mustang II Mach1 (Sold) .............. '83 GLX Vert (Wrecked)
    '83 GLX Vert (Rusted away) ............... '83 GT T-Top (Parted and Scrapped)
    '85 GT T-Top (Sold) ........................... '86 Hatchback (Sold)
    '84 Thunderbird FILA Edition (Sold)

Duralast's are made by Interstate. Sit them side by side... you'll see the similarities. Good choices. I have them in the dd cars and trucks. Currently have a optima red top in the 84.
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold
    1983 Mustang GT - Current

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    I don't think Motorcraft MAKES their batteries....
    Who actually MAKES the battery is almost completely irrelevant. Every battery made
    by Interstate is not the same as every other battery made by Interstate. While it may
    be true that the Motorcraft battery made by Brand-X is no different than the battery
    Brand-X sells under their own label, it's much more likely they're not. And the only way
    you're gonna know is to destroy two perfectly good batteries.

Companies are not in business to give you more than you pay for.
    TANSTAAFL applies.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

my '63 tempest has an optima red top, date coded 1998. it still works perfectly, and this car was my uncle's year round daily driver for eleven years. try getting that kind of life out of your conventional lead acid battery.

i still have to fix the hood from where my old lead acid battery overcharged and sprayed acid everywhere when the voltage regulator died on the capri. i had a 2 day old set of taylor wires i had to replace because the acid ate through them. i also had to repaint my frame rail because the acid lifted all the paint. that whole ordeal was a pita. i use a motomaster branded exide sprial cell battery in the capri now.

cars like my $100 dollar winter beater, and anything i buy to sell that needs a battery get the el cheapo lead acid batteries. i think a huge contributor to 96-07 dodge caravan strut tower rot issue is the fumes from the lead acid batteries.

cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 12-03-2009 at 12:26 PM.

It's really unfortunate that the battery industry as a whole has really gone backward over
    the last decade or so. But it's understandable. It costs more to build a battery that won't
    rot it's surroundings, and when most people shop for batteries, that's just not something
    they think about. All most people look for are price and warranty.

If I could get the Delco Freedom battery in a group 56, that's probably all I'd ever buy...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

I was in a jam a few years ago in college. I bought a $50 Everstart from Walmart, since no one around had the right Interstate battery. I didn't plan on keeping it long.

It has been quite a pleasing surprise, the quality of this battery. I have ZERO acid leakage (previous issue with Sears batteries in years past), and the battery has been strong now for 3 years.

Last winter was a cold one in Durham. On more than one occasion, I started my car at night in 20-30* weather. Strong cranking from the moment I turned the key.

I never look to Walmart for quality, but with a 7 year pro-rated warranty (first 2 years free replacement), I have to say I'm quite pleased.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

optima red top is the way to go. have one in every one of my vehicles. i once had an optima that i have had in 5 different vehicles. they are just bad a$$ and top notch

Quote Originally Posted by 85stanggt View Post
    I was in a jam a few years ago in college. I bought a $50 Everstart from Walmart, since no one around had the right Interstate battery. I didn't plan on keeping it long.

It has been quite a pleasing surprise, the quality of this battery. I have ZERO acid leakage (previous issue with Sears batteries in years past), and the battery has been strong now for 3 years.

Last winter was a cold one in Durham. On more than one occasion, I started my car at night in 20-30* weather. Strong cranking from the moment I turned the key.

I never look to Walmart for quality, but with a 7 year pro-rated warranty (first 2 years free replacement), I have to say I'm quite pleased.

What he said. Same here. THe battery for my Rav4 (4 cylinder) cranks the Mustang 5.0 very easily, hasn't failed once

Default Where to get the Optima?

Thanks for all the good advice. If I can come up with the money, where can I get the optima red top? Haven't located it online...

I've seen them at advance auto, I dunno if they are cheaper or more expensive there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast