Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not sure if you want to do this but what about swapping the entire door from 87+. Not that I really care if he cut his panels. It's his car to do as he wishes, I'm just providing options in case he wants door speakers but doesn't want to cut the doors.

As for the rear speakers, take a look at the newer foxes. The speakers were relocated. The original poster was talking about fabbing a way to move the rear speakers but what about getting newer rear panels and seatbelts and relocate the speakers that way. I know I found an article about interior swaps a while back and it mentioned having to relocate the seatbelt anchor since the seatbelt openings were different on the newer cars. Just another option to help it look factory vs. custom rear enclosures.

Since my car is a 79, and I've already purchased replacement most of the interior from a pace car, I really don't want to go through all that again, lol. I have something pretty rare, and don't want to take away from that aspect. That's why I'm looking at adding to what I have rather than taking away. This car's going to be original, but that originality is going to be done with class. It will stand out, but not an eye sore. Custom interior sewn together by my mom, t top install, and I'm thinking about adding the old school trick of flames shooting out the exhaust. I'm just looking for options that don't include taking away from the apsects that make a 79 a 79.
    I am very interested in Capris, Mustangs, Shelbys, and Saleens. Basically, if you cut me, I bleed Ford blue.

Give the bookshelf speakers a try (test it with yours or a friend's speakers first). It costs practically nothing to test out and your car stays factory original, especially if you decide to keep the original speakers.

That's what I'm am going to do again as I had speakers on the floor of mine since 1989. And I absolutely loved the sound. Night and day.

Book shelf speakers?
    I am very interested in Capris, Mustangs, Shelbys, and Saleens. Basically, if you cut me, I bleed Ford blue.

Quote Originally Posted by riffenfool View Post
    Book shelf speakers?
    Yes sir. Example:

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    Give the bookshelf speakers a try (test it with yours or a friend's speakers first). It costs practically nothing to test out and your car stays factory original, especially if you decide to keep the original speakers.

That's what I'm am going to do again as I had speakers on the floor of mine since 1989. And I absolutely loved the sound. Night and day.
    That would be another good recommendation. You can velcro the bottoms with the hook part of velcro and they will stick to the carpet and will NOT move.

-Mike

Those may be an option. What wattage would be enough to be heard at highway speeds with a car that has dual exhaust, 100 watts? If I can't find a set of those, I may build a box that fits in the back of the car against the latch area, and put a divider so that left and right speakers are isolated.

Way back when I was in high school, I ran bookshelf speakers in the rear foot wells and it did the trick pretty nicely. Not concert sound by any means but way better than the stock 6x8 location way in the back.

I later upgraded to a DIY made speaker box that houses 2 6x9's that fire to the front of the car. Fits right under the hatch are and takes up almost the whole width.I still have that setup in my 81. When speakers are in a box they can perform and resonate much better than in the stock locations, which for all intensive purpose are basically firing into free air, so the bass will never sound good as when in an enclosure.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

Well, that's an interesting idea. My car is a hatchback, and it has the large square shaped hole around the latch. I could come up with something that uses that area as a mount point. Wouldn't have to worry about it slideing, especially when the hatch is down. Anyone know what the distance is from carpet to the top of the latch? If it's 7 inches or more, I'm in business.
    Last edited by riffenfool; 12-03-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riffenfool View Post
    Those may be an option. What wattage would be enough to be heard at highway speeds with a car that has dual exhaust, 100 watts? If I can't find a set of those, I may build a box that fits in the back of the car against the latch area, and put a divider so that left and right speakers are isolated.
    100 watts is just enough to get it nice and loud. That's 25 watts per channel. If you want better bass, go with 100 watts for the 4 stock speakers and another 200 watts for whatever else you need (subs, coax, etc.)

I just want the kickpanels. Addd a 3rd speaker in the dash, better speakers in the trunk. When I do the RSD some mid/tweeters and a tiny sub. I was actually thinking of just using two bazooka tubes in the rear foot wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    I just want the kickpanels. Addd a 3rd speaker in the dash, better speakers in the trunk. When I do the RSD some mid/tweeters and a tiny sub. I was actually thinking of just using two bazooka tubes in the rear foot wells.
    By rear footwells, are you referring to the rear hatch area? Or is yours a coupe/vert? If yours is hatch, no speaker will really fit inside the quarter panel trim. I've done a few conversions in the past where we've mounted a subwoofer in the spare tire well, but that's about all the room we could find.

If you're referring to the rear floor, they'll work great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12