Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Progress

Pulled the six out today. I should say dropped the six. Never tried it before but with the length of the inline six we decided to drop the K-member and tranny crossmember, lowering the powertrain out of the car. Our reasoning? Pulling engine and tranny together out the top would be tough, it's already a tight squeeze pulling a small-block with accessories and a tranny hanging on the back. Adding two more cylinders of length seemed to compound the issue, in my mind at least. And besides, I don't want the six K-member anyhow, it's going on the donor shell to help it roll outta here.

Was it worth it? I can't say for sure as it was our first time. It worked, and it's always interesting to try something new. We are pretty good at yanking five-liters out the top. The six-drop took about two hours, working outside (Oh yeah, to twist the knife a little bit it was about 70 degrees outside today, sorry to all you suffering in them frozen parts!).

So now to put the front (Eibach) springs into the Mustang K and set it back on the ground for a good power-washing. Anyone have tips on installing front springs in the K-member? Spring compressor? External or internal? We've been doing front coilovers for so long we 'lost the touch' for squeezing the stock-style springs between the A-arm and the K-member. Anyone? Bueller? Thanks guys.

Default Ugly hole

Here are some shots of the car, fresh without an engine and with a crusty Mustang K-member. Six of the eight K-member bolts lined right up. There's some surface rust around the battery area, we'll see how it looks once I pull the battery tray. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

FEP Senior Member

My battery tray area looks pretty much just like that. I replaced the tray about 6 months ago and well the frame under neath has had it share of battery acid. But I'm not to worried since that the only "bad" spot on the car.
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

Installed the Eibach springs into the '89 Mustang K-member (recap: that's what I put in the wagon) Sunday afternoon. What a pain. FYI it's possible to install front springs with the engine out, but you may need a come-along!

Also pulled the dash and *everything* out of the engine bay. Now the joys of pressure-washing and degreasing the bay prior to installing the engine.

Default Update (no pics yet)

Okay, here goes. I have been cleaning and painting engine components at an astounding rate. Well, okay, not really. But the engine is gonna be built by the beginning of next week, so I'll have some pics to show then. Until that time you can see that I've been busy choosing colors on another thread.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d=1#post952803

Next project is prepping and painting the engine bay, after I cut some harness holes that is. Speaking of harnesses, I have to clean those up prior to install too.

Default Another Donor

Work on the wagon has not stalled. I picked up a 1998 Mustang convertible, hit in front. I'm gonna grab the 5-lug swap. As a bonus, I checked the pads and there's plenty of life left in them, so I may just be able to turn the rotors and they'll be good to go.

Now I have to clearance the shock tower for the booster, good thing I haven't painted the engine bay yet!!

I picked clean the 98 donor car, at least the parts I wanted. It's now a 4-lugger with the original gangster 14" Fairmont whitewalls on it.

The wagon is up in the air as I am prepping the engine bay for paint. The a-arms are out awaiting ball joints (and avoiding the eventual overspray), and the grille is out too. Maybe by next weekend I'll have some pictures of the engine bay. I've been kinda lazy with the camera lately. By the way, this thing might look good without a front bumper (not that I have the guts to run without one)!

Tucked the front bumper today. I just moved it back to the second set of holes on the frame rails.

I'm trying to do as much assembly as possible prior to paint. I also elongated the brake booster holes through the firewall, and I just had to tap the shock tower a few times for the booster to slide into place. That's for a '98 Mustang booster/MC by the way, the stock 89 Mustang donor would have fit fine of course.

I picked up the etch primer, build primer and topcoat (all quarts) this week too. Nice to have a 'friend' in the business, all for less than $140 with scotchbrite and tape included. The etch primer is from DuPont, while the build primer and topcoat are DuPont's lower priced Nason brand. I have had good results before, so maybe in two weeks we'll have some pics.

Default Progress pics!

Here are some pics. I mocked up the '98 spindle, '89 A-arm and S197 wheel. Clearance looks good to me so I ordered ball joints and CA bushings. You can also see the bumper tuck in these pictures as well.

It was a rainy day today so I assembled the engine, no pics but it is basically a stock five-liter SEFI motor. You can see my EFI harness here too.

FEP Power Member 82 fairmont guy's Avatar

i love the redneck jack stands (tires)
    Mike aka "MOOSE"
    81 zephyr / ltd clip/ mustang s/c 5.0 (1 of 1)
    86 Lx 5.0 7B Coupe (1 of 254) Shadow Blue now at the body shop....
    86 GT vert 9l 5spd White/extremely dark grey two tone it's my avatar
    1989 Ranger extra cab 2wd 2.3 5spd
    2003 triple black GT VERT

GOD BLESS OUR MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE OUR COUNTRY......PAST AND PRESENT

Default Finally some progress worth showing

Been busy with everything I promised would be done a month ago (or more).

Welding, grinding, filling, sanding, etch primer, build primer, more sanding, more primer, basecoat, clearcoat. And a few gnats sprinkled in for good measure to keep me humble. Check it out:

Default Some progress worth showing

More pics. The etch primer is at the end for some reason.

FEP User

nice!

Thanks. My next plan is to get the front suspension back together and the fuel and brake lines run so I can install the engine. It's ready to go in, minus a few bypass/heater hoses and vacuum lines.

Waiting for parts to arrive so I can install the engine, so I thought I'd mock up the interior (well at least the stuff that's not going back as stock). Seats, dash, console, and (not shown) AC/heater box.

Neat how the dash design lines up with the "stitching" on the door panels at the dash pad/vent area. Might have to highlight that area when I make new door panels.

I thought I remembered reading that some folks had problems adapting the newer AC box to the older car, but if I did it right then everything lined up, even the cowl vent.

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    man those tires are WAY to skinny for the wheels
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

No doubt! They're 235's stretched over a 17x9!

Mostly for my own documentation purposes here, but I'll post up the details of my front end as it's going together.

-89 Mustang GT K-member
    -89 Mustang GT A-arms
    -Energy Suspension polyurethane (black) CA bushings
    -1998 Mustang replacement ball joints pressed into 89 CA's
    -1998 Mustang V6/GT spindles/rotors/calipers/hoses
    -2005-up 17" Torq-Thrust style OEM Ford wheels -OR- Charger/Magnum 17" steelies
    -Eibach Mustang coil springs
    -Monroe Sensatrac Struts (for now at least)

Stuff I still need to get:
    -Manual Rack 20:1
    -Taurus tie-rod ends (for additional thread engagement on 96-up spindles)

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    No doubt! They're 235's stretched over a 17x9!
    Sorry, they are actually 255/40-17's. And they are sold, if the buyer picks them up this week.

Miscellaneous ramblings:

I split the HVAC box and cleaned it all up on the inside. Yeech. Gotta get new foam for the 'doors' before I can re-assemble everything. I have a new Evaporator and Heater Core going in too. Any ideas on this foam, 1/8" thick, soft, and good with extreme hot/cold for the next 30 years?

BTW it's not easy to convince the box to come apart. I'll probably have to use some small screws and RTV to seal it back up.

Also, I SWORE I wasn't gonna mod the motor until I got it running and sorted out, but I happened across an Explorer intake and 65mm TB and I couldn't say no. It's painted and drying, waiting to be installed on the motor.

I need to get the rear of the car in the air to install the 8.8 (I have a 3.55 I'll be running with 27-28" tires), then the 7.5 can come out.

The spindles are next, once I get some CC plates I can bolt the front end together. Then I can plumb all my brake lines (if my backordered adjustable proportioning valve ever gets here!!).

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

i love this project!!
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

Thanks for the support!

Default Wiper Motor.

Installed the '89 wiper motor and found that the newer style doesn't match up to the cowl holes that existed from the original '78 wiper motor.

Solution: I lined up one hole (top left from the driver's seat) and drilled two new holes for the screws, total of three holes. Just passing on some information here.

FEP Member

Waiting for a update?

Yep me too!!^^
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/R825OH
    ALL BLING & NO ZING MAKE RICKY A RICER !!

82 5.0 GL
    74 F100 Custom 302/auto
    67 Volvo 122S

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast