Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    well im ordering this plug for the fuel pump.
    http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
    or napa part number ECH FPC100

i think this is the correct one, if so has anyone used this plug i assume you push back a little tab,strip back some wire and insert your wires, i have repined mazda ecu plugs before, but nothing like this one.??(i guess when i get it,and see it might be easyer to figure out)
    Your link doesnt show very well what you get.

If its like this its separate contacts that you have to teminate and install in the housing:

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...ector-Kit.html

The contacts are made for crimping but Id solder them as unless you have the correct crimp tools it will not be a reliable joint.

I dont think this was available years ago when I did mine as I had to use a pigtail I got from the junkyard (think it was a 90s Toroidus IIRC).
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

FEP Senior Member

getting back to the fuel system again on the fiarmont.....,...
    recap..,,.. car is a 82 4 door fairmont,with a 5.0,5 speed,cfi ltd tank, megasquirt standalone, car is/will be fuel injected...
    im going to be running steel fuel lines(bought a coil of each size), so i think i can make them in 2 sections, so my ?'s are...

1. for the connections at the pump and fuel rail on the hardline side,, is there some kind of flair i should put on on hard line, i was think a small bubble maybe??
    im just going to run F.I. rubber hose and clamps for these connections.

2. let say i can make these with only having 1 joint/connection in the middle, ie two long hard steel lines, for this connection/joint what are my options, do something similar to ? 1 i.e. bubble or some thing on each hard line side with a small rubber hose with clamps,,///// or can i just flair it with fittings like a brake line.
    will either work, is one better than the other, is it o.k. to just double flair it like a brake line????

FEP Senior Member

bump..

Flare fittings are more than sufficient and make it easy to replace just one section at a time. For the ends, if you want to use rubber then consider buying pre-made threaded fitting to hose barb pieces for a couple bucks. Again, easy to replace if it gets damaged versus a custom flare, and even the cheapest junk $5 flare tool will make a single flare fitting if you need to make repairs or alterations. A cheap brake line flare holds 1500psi or more. Should hold fuel pump pressure.

If you *DO* have (or have access to) a fancy flaring tool, consider using the quick-connect style flares with "duckbill clip" like Ford used in the 90s. I have gotten used to those and they are simple. The ones with the coil spring inside (that use the special tool to remove) are okay but I often find they don't like to let go. The replacement lines for these aren't as cheap as rubber hose, but they are positive-retention and easily found in junkyards, the new clips come with replacement filters, you can use modern EFI filters, and so on. But, like hose barbs, you can buy adapters for threaded fittings to this style of fuel line if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Flare fittings are more than sufficient and make it easy to replace just one section at a time. For the ends, if you want to use rubber then consider buying pre-made threaded fitting to hose barb pieces for a couple bucks. Again, easy to replace if it gets damaged versus a custom flare, and even the cheapest junk $5 flare tool will make a single flare fitting if you need to make repairs or alterations. A cheap brake line flare holds 1500psi or more. Should hold fuel pump pressure.

If you *DO* have (or have access to) a fancy flaring tool, consider using the quick-connect style flares with "duckbill clip" like Ford used in the 90s. I have gotten used to those and they are simple. The ones with the coil spring inside (that use the special tool to remove) are okay but I often find they don't like to let go. The replacement lines for these aren't as cheap as rubber hose, but they are positive-retention and easily found in junkyards, the new clips come with replacement filters, you can use modern EFI filters, and so on. But, like hose barbs, you can buy adapters for threaded fittings to this style of fuel line if you prefer.
    Hey greywolf I know this is a blast from the past but I sent you a private message regarding the fuel system on my fairmont since it seems you have a lot of information. Thank you much

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234