Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

after a little reading,i see the stock stang tank straps/hangers are held in with a pin on the rear of the straps and a bolt on the front of them, so are the fairmont ones like this or do they bolt in the rear, also how are the ltd ones, bolt on pins?

my original fairmont ones i cut off a few months back and were rotted, so i can not compare straps and even how they were hung.

also a side ? for the front bolts, i see it had the ford clip nut thing(dont know the real name for these, if there is a proper name please tell me) well i only have one,the other must have been cut out or broke,, does ford still sell them?, can i buy them from a parts store, or should i figure my own way of welding a nut in there or something?

The "clip nuts" (also called speed nuts) are available at the dealer, most parts stores, and some better hardware stores. I think Tractor Supply sells them pretty cheaply.

I can't remember for sure on the strap mounting but I'm fairly sure it's like the Mustang ones, pin front bolt rear. Tank for tank, the straps are the same, so straps for an F2 should be the same whether it's on a 1978 Zephyr or a 1986 LTD wagon' and an F16 would use the same straps from 1982 Fairmonts through the 1986 Marquis.

The beauty of this is that you're looking at buying the same straps you would normally use on your Fairmont.

There is so much good info, but I can't wrap my stupid head around which tank setup I am going to need for the swap on my '81 Durango. The spare tire well in this thing serves absolutely zero purpose since they covered it with the bed insert, so I could cut it out if it was necessary but I'd rather not do that.

OTOH, I do have a good tank from the '93 LX 'vert that donated most of its drivetrain and suspension to the cause... Can I use that if I delete the spare tire well?
    Last edited by Durango; 06-01-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

Durango, you want the F2C (1986 LTD WAGON 3.8 CFI) fuel tank, straps and pump setup.

Yes, you could remove the spare tire well and fabricate a section to mount the '93 LX tank with straps of your own making, but the F2C and tank as described elsewhere will fit "like it was meant to be there".

If you do decide to eliminate the tire well, you can go with the F16C setup which gives you a larger tank and less fabrication.

Personally, I'd pick the F2C route (and I did on my '80).
    Last edited by Greywolf; 06-01-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Durango, you want the F2C (1986 LTD WAGON 3.8 CFI) fuel tank, straps and pump setup.

Yes, you could remove the spare tire well and fabricate a section to mount the '93 LX tank with straps of your own making, but the F2C and tank as described elsewhere will fit "like it was meant to be there".

If you do decide to eliminate the tire well, you can go with the F16C setup which gives you a larger tank and less fabrication.

Personally, I'd pick the F2C route (and I did on my '80).
    THANK you. I don't know how many times I've read your (and others) posts about the F2C and F16C and could never figure out which I needed for mine. I'm all about the fit "like it was meant to be there" if at all possible. If I was going to do some real fabrication, I'd probably remove the spare tire well and stick a fuel cell up there and then have the spare tire under that with a cable winch type setup like the wife's Montana mini-van does.

One of those things about the Durango that irritates me was the lack of thought into where the spare tire goes.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    after a little reading,i see the stock stang tank straps/hangers are held in with a pin on the rear of the straps and a bolt on the front of them, so are the fairmont ones like this or do they bolt in the rear, also how are the ltd ones, bolt on pins?

my original fairmont ones i cut off a few months back and were rotted, so i can not compare straps and even how they were hung.

also a side ? for the front bolts, i see it had the ford clip nut thing(dont know the real name for these, if there is a proper name please tell me) well i only have one,the other must have been cut out or broke,, does ford still sell them?, can i buy them from a parts store, or should i figure my own way of welding a nut in there or something?
    thanks grey and everyone else for all the help,, this post has some really nice info for all of use fairmont owners....

now anyone that has a stock 78-83 fairmont, or 84-86 ltd fox want to take a look and see if they have pins in the rear tank strap mounts and bolt in the front like the stangs 83-up,,, a side note my dads 82 5.0 4 speed stang its a glx hatchback has bolts in the rear, and on latemodel resto page its lists pins for 83-04 stangs,,, so maybe it was a change for the 83 and up model foxes?????

Cant tell you about other years but on my 78 4 dr the straps for the F2* tanks use a 'T' shape at the forward end of the straps and a similar T slot in the forward tank support structure. At the rear the straps attach using long bolts.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Cant tell you about other years but on my 78 4 dr the straps for the F2* tanks use a 'T' shape at the forward end of the straps and a similar T slot in the forward tank support structure. At the rear the straps attach using long bolts.
    any pics of these T bolts?

any pics of these T bolts?
    They are not 'T bolts'. If you look closely at the front end of the straps you see that at the very end its formed into a 'T' shape. The T then fits into a slot stamped into the forward tank support. To get the strap into the support you hold the strap at a slight angle so that the top part of the T engages into the slot. I will look if I have a good picture when I get home.

The "T" piece on the straps in question is sort of a "tab A in slot B" setup; more akin to assembling a paper box than wrenching. If that makes sense.

I honestly can't remember what the Zephyr uses, it's been too long since I've had the chance to crawl under it and the gas tank hasn't been in since I put in the new rear suspension.

Maybe this link will work:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...part-st27.html

Mouse over the picture and it magnifies the image. You can see the T shape for the forward end and the hole for the bolt at the rear.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Maybe this link will work:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...part-st27.html

Mouse over the picture and it magnifies the image. You can see the T shape for the forward end and the hole for the bolt at the rear.
    my ST84 straps do not have that, there is a loop in mine for a bolt or pin like a stang strap i guess.
    and on my 82 the flat/bent part of the strap goes towards the front of the car with a bolt to secure it.
    Last edited by rab; 06-03-2011 at 09:22 AM.

my ST84 straps do not have that, there is a loop in mine for a bolt or pin like a stang strap i guess.
    and on my 82 the flat/bent part of the strap goes towards the front of the car with a bolt to secure it.
    Starting in 82 the non-wagon Fairmont went to the F16* tank which has a different mounting arraingement than the earlier F2* tank. The 82/83 Fairmont wagons still used the F2* tanks and ST27 straps

FEP Senior Member

i went and ordered a set of ST83 straps last week with the hopes they might be slightly different than the ST84.
    after compairing them to the ST84 they ST83 are a little longer,and after fitting them there are the ones i need, so the ST83 straps are the right ones for my 82 fairmont 4 door non wagon with a f16c tank

as for a fuel pump since the stock ltd one is a low psi pump cause of the 2 pump deal, i fit a stock 87-93 stang pump in the ltd sending unit, i had a stock 87-93 stang fuel pump that came with a parts car i bought (87 stang 5.0) well i had to mod the wires and length of the rubber hose and run a stang
    strainer/sock, fit pretty close to the way the stock ltd pump was but is not perfect, it did a few measurements and with the stang pump and sock vs the ltd pump and sock the stang one sits the sock about 1/4 lower than the ltd, so i figured i was close enough.

yesterday i cut a hole in the floor above the sending unit and today i will be building a little sheet metal box to access the pump without dropping the tank.

now a nother ? my stock fairmont fuel gauge wire plug has 2 wires on it yellow one and a black one iirc,,well on the ltd sending unit i noticed only 3 wires on it going to the 4 pin plug and 2 were for the pump 12v and ground, im assuming the other is for the gauge, but were would the other go from my fairmont wiring, maybe it just uses the case for the gauge cluster ground???? i still do not have the 4 pin plug for the ltd sending unit to reference, maybe once i see it it will clear it up..

The gauge sender return (ground) is common with the pump hanger frame.

IIRC the LTD 4-pin plug has 4 wires, the gauge ground goes to a bolt either near the taillights (wagon) or near the driver's seat (sedan, and yes, all the way up there). I'd tie the black Fairmont wire to that one. The body of the tank is also tied to this, I think.

The other ground, for the pump, goes to the inner fender, I think on the driver's side, both sedan and wagon. Basically directly opposite the fuel fill. Just run a new wire in that direction and find a bolt to drop the wire under (with a ring connector, of course!).

I think on the LTD the fuel pump ground was black with green or yellow marks, but just go with where they are on the fuel pump hanger.

IIRC the LTD 4-pin plug has 4 wires, the gauge ground goes to a bolt either near the taillights (wagon) or near the driver's seat (sedan, and yes, all the way up there). I'd tie the black Fairmont wire to that one. The body of the tank is also tied to this, I think.

The other ground, for the pump, goes to the inner fender, I think on the driver's side, both sedan and wagon. Basically directly opposite the fuel fill. Just run a new wire in that direction and find a bolt to drop the wire under (with a ring connector, of course!).

I think on the LTD the fuel pump ground was black with green or yellow marks, but just go with where they are on the fuel pump hanger.
    Grey,
    I assumed rab was asking about the sender return (ground) on the pump assembly. The wire on the harness connects to the pin that is riveted to the hanger:

Last edited by TWR2003; 06-07-2011 at 08:25 AM.

TWR, I'm pretty sure that's what he was asking also. But I figured when he got the plug, he'd have similar questions about the 4 wires there...so it seemed wise to post it up while the subject was fresh.

TWR, I'm pretty sure that's what he was asking also. But I figured when he got the plug, he'd have similar questions about the 4 wires there...so it seemed wise to post it up while the subject was fresh.
    OK

I believe that this section of the Four-Eyed Forums houses the world's foremost knowledge on Fairmont and Zephyr gas tank interchanges.

I believe that this section of the Four-Eyed Forums houses the world's foremost knowledge on Fairmont and Zephyr gas tank interchanges.
    Grey,
    I would agree with you on the tanks. But Im not sure that the filler pipe issue is completely understood.

No, I've been working on that. As best I can tell, almost all F/Z stuff from '79 on used the same size hole in the tank, and just a different grommet based on the size of the fill tube. I verified that the hole on my '79 tank is the same size as the hole on my ex-gf's 2002 Mustang and my '98 and '99 stangs.

No, I've been working on that. As best I can tell, almost all F/Z stuff from '79 on used the same size hole in the tank, and just a different grommet based on the size of the fill tube. I verified that the hole on my '79 tank is the same size as the hole on my ex-gf's 2002 Mustang and my '98 and '99 stangs.
    I reckon you are probably correct about the size of the stamped hole in the tanks. I few years ago I had a F2A and a F2C size-by-size and never measured the stamped holes - darn. I know the original F2A setup in my 78 used a 2-1/4" OD filler pipe. The F2C tank I swapped to for EFI used a 2" OD pipe that I got from a 85 Marquis sedan. The 2-1/4 pipe used a 4-bolt mounting pattern to the plastic filler housing. The 85 2" pipe used a 3-bolt pattern so I had to use the 85 housing as well.

FEP Senior Member

well im ordering this plug for the fuel pump.
    http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
    or napa part number ECH FPC100

i think this is the correct one, if so has anyone used this plug i assume you push back a little tab,strip back some wire and insert your wires, i have repined mazda ecu plugs before, but nothing like this one.??(i guess when i get it,and see it might be easyer to figure out)

as far as the fuel tank ford speed nuts go(the front most ones)i went to my local ford and they didn't have anything, and local parts stores dont either, anyone know were i can get them?

if not i will just weld some nuts up there or make some access holes.

Try "Tractor Supply". That's where I got mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast