Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    You don't specifically mention the inertia switch for fuel pump cutoff in case you find yourself seeing things from a new angle, aka turbo-box. It happens.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=97994
    i pretty sure i grabed that when i parted out the 87 lx, so it will be getting wired in also.

FEP Senior Member

will a walbro 255 lpg in tank fuel pump, part number
    GSS340-400-812 for a 85-97 mustang, work in a ltd tank?

Here's a good read on what to do for an LTD tank with a 255lph pump...But will the Mustang pump fit your hangar? Good question, why don't you try it for all of us? It may just be a matter of shortening the metal tube for the taller pump.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=camaro+pump

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    Here's a good read on what to do for an LTD tank with a 255lph pump...But will the Mustang pump fit your hangar? Good question, why don't you try it for all of us? It may just be a matter of shortening the metal tube for the taller pump.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=camaro+pump
    i probably will, right now im just gauging roughly how much cash i will have to spend of this car, the plan right now is to pull it in the garage late fall early winter, and do the swap and 5 lug,underbody rust clean up, ect,ect,ect

FEP Senior Member

well i finally order the F16c tank and a set of ST84 tanks straps for my 82 fairmont, hopefully they r the right ones..
    also im going megasquirt. i have got a lot done on the mont and will hopefully start a build thread soon too.

I'm gonna bump this thread just to say that I didn't know about available options, so I just cut out the 4" diameter dome on the raised side of the tank, dropped in the pump setup and 'lid' from the Lincoln fuel tank. If you cut around the dome, it is the same size as the hole in an EFI tank. The 'lid' had both pressure and return lines, which we hooked the Mark 7 lines to. Since the 'lid' couldn't screw down to the tank anymore, as it would on an EFI tank, I bolted it down with a home cut gasket between the 'lid' and tank.
    Works great. We just plugged and abandon the original pick lines after removing the gauge sender.

The Lincoln pump carrier had to be bent a bit for the deeper tank, and the gauge sender had to be modded to function correctly.
    Last edited by ratio411; 04-16-2011 at 08:33 PM.

So if I red this right I can just install a newer electric fuel pump from an '89 Mustang in my '79 F2 tank and be set?

Aside from everything in front of it!!

New User

I glad this got bumped I need to buy the tank for my 78 really soon. So like ^^ asked what is the preferred way for a 78 boxtop?

The Mustang fuel pump doesn't fit the LTD tank. The Mustang pump is separate from the
    gauge sender, while the LTD uses the pump and sender in one assembly. The hole in the
    tank is about an inch larger diameter.

I believe the wagon tank takes a taller pump/sender assembly than the sedan tank. What
    I don't know is the resepective part numbers. I have a NOS pump hanger/sender here that
    has written on the box that it's for the "16 gallon" tank, but I'm not sure if that means it's
    for the wagon tank or not. It's E4DZ-9H307-E, and it's about 7" tall from flange to pump sock.

Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Fuel Pump, Tank for 78-81 F/Z/etc Sedan and Coupe, and 78-86 Fox Wagons:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=50678

For the wagon tank, you want an E4DF-9H307-BD sender setup.

Thread also shows which Bosch pump to put in place of the low-pressure pump and so forth.

Thanks, that's helpful. Might you be able to tell us what part number that E4DF-BD engineering
    number crosses over to?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I don't know, but I can look when I get home. If I remember...should be late next week. I'll be moving, so someone remind me to look in my manuals before I pack them.

FEP Senior Member

bring this back just starting to route my brake and fuel lines,,,

1. i have the F16c tank,car is a 82 4 door fairmojnt non wagon,,,
    so i will need a 85-86 ltd lx sending unit/fuel pump assembly(the thing with the locking ring) and i can just swap the pump to a stang pump or other??????

2. dose anyone know were i can buy just the fuel pump assembly for a decent price, cheapest ones i found was at advance auto for $98.00?

3. if i have to buy one with a pump, the pump that comes with it is only a 4-6 psi pump right, cause of the duel pump set-ups on these foxbody ltds so that pump is junk to me if i want to run efi cause i need 38 psi base psi or about that psi right??

4. anyone know were i can find a pig tail for the ltd assembly wire plug?

5. anyone have the wiring diagram for the ltd wireing plug so i can make it work with my fairmont, that i will be running a 85 stang gt gauge cluster in.

thanks
    Last edited by rab; 05-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.

1. Any LTD sedan with CFI hanger assembly will work as long as it's not for a digital dash (or the fuel gauge will read wrong). Airtex p/n E2132S should work (complete with low pressure pump you don't need). $100 at Rockauto.com

2+3. Airtex E2061 for a 1988 Mustang GT, $56 at Rockauto.com

4. Most mid-80s/90s Fords. I like Rangers and F150s because the beds are often already removed so the connector is visible. Or search this forum for the Motorcraft p/n if you want a new one.

5. I don't recall off the top of my head; but the 2 wires from the level sender connect to the existing fuel gauge wiring. The new wires from the pump (+ and -) go to the new wires you're running to power the pump. Run a new ground for the pump, preferably someplace in the trunk where it won't get dirty or corroded.

FEP Senior Member

as far as the ltd assemblies go...
    there are 3 diffrent kinds, here they are.

....w/T.B.I., w/o Digital Dash;TO 5/85; Two fuel pumps may be required, one mounted in-tank and one mounted externally.

.....w/T.B.I., w/o Digital Dash;TO 5/85; Two fuel pumps may be required, one mounted in-tank and one mounted externally.

.....w/T.B.I., w/o Digital Dash; Two fuel pumps may be required, one mounted in-tank and one mounted externally.; Strainer Included.

here is a link...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...Term=fuel+pump

thanks greywolf for the quick response
    Last edited by rab; 05-23-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Your link doesn't work right for me...it shows pumps for my 300ZX, and for some reason Advance Auto website keeps going back to that car even if I change the search. Grrrr.

I like the rockauto website because it not only ensures you're looking at the right car, but it has a search/cross-reference section too.

FEP User

I used the LTD tank and sender in my boxtop with a 255 mustang pump..Everything worked great except the fuel gauge does not read at all...
    1995 GT vert
    1985 notch
    1972 F100
    1981 Fairmont Boxtop 52k original
    2005 Dodge 2500 diesel

FEP Senior Member

for some reason rockauto's site only show what look to be the right one or ones under the 3.8 only and not the 5.0 for a 85 ltd.
    here is a link hopefully it works, then go to fuel/air and then fuel pump.
    i think its either part number
    E2131S
    E2132S
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
    Last edited by rab; 05-23-2011 at 09:27 PM.

F16C is the last of the Fox LTD/Marquis tanks (that is, "From 5/85") so you want the E2132S pump hanger assembly. I don't believe Airtex offers it without the low-pressure pump attached. The information in most websites these days is screwed up as there are very few places that haven't lumped the Fox and Panther LTD flavors into one category.

---
    8sec90gt, I'm wondering if you got a digital dash sender? That would always read empty on a "regular" gauge. There's a post somewhere around this section showing how to change the resistor to the one you need to make the gauge read correctly.

FEP Senior Member

just order the E2132S assembly and pump, thanks again for all the help.

now i need to go to the yard and find a plug for the pump and get a wiring diagram for it.

now seeing as im getting a new low psi pump with it and i have a walbro 255lph inline pump laying around, i wounder if i should just use 2 pumps, or swap the intank to a 255lph unit and be done with it.
    Last edited by rab; 05-24-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Put the 255lph unit in there and you'll be happy up to...well, as much horsepower as you're gonna make without some major engine work under the hood.

It will require some trimming but I know there's some pictures around somewhere where I show how it's done, and even without the pictures it takes about 30 seconds to say, "oh! That's how ya do it!".

FEP Senior Member

thanks again greywolf, i will probably just buy a in tank 255lph pump and put that in, the fairmont will get boosted next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Put the 255lph unit in there and you'll be happy up to...well, as much horsepower as you're gonna make without some major engine work under the hood.

It will require some trimming but I know there's some pictures around somewhere where I show how it's done, and even without the pictures it takes about 30 seconds to say, "oh! That's how ya do it!".
    Go to the link in post #28 of this thread (LTDScott's old single pump conversion thread)
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

FEP Senior Member

few more ?'s for you guys, i have the ST84 tanks straps, f16c tank, my car is a 82 fairmont 4 door non wagon,,

now where the straps bolt to the car (the ones towards the front) i can only get a few threads in the body of the car and there is 1/2 to 3/4 of the bolt still showing,,, i.e. its not bolting up all the way (straps are to short)and there is a space between strap and body,it kind of hard to explain.....,,, im assuming this is wrong and it should bolt up tight(bottoming out the bolt)?????

so im guessing i have the wrong straps, so should i get f16c ones,stock 82 fairmont ones, or other?????

You want straps to match the tank. Mounting points on car are pretty much the same.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast