Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Default fairmont fuel injection talk..tank/lines/pump

im going to be going fuel injection on my 82 mont with boost and a megasquirt on a 5.0 with a 5 speed...

well when it comes to swapping in a tank/lines and pump there are many different options out there.

certain cfi ltd tanks fit with a gm pump iirc, and im sure you could mod a set of stang lines to work,or make you own, so what lines did you use(size,metal,ect) and were did you get it from? kinda of get were im going with this post...

so if you have done a fuel injection swap into your mount tell me about it, tanks,lines,pump,ect...

i have searched and know there is a lot of info out there, but it would be nice to have most, if not all of it in one post. so post up your info or links to info, or links to other post about this topic,post it here please.
    thanks, hopefully this will take off and have alot of info for me and others regarding this topic.

Pretty much,aside from the fuel tank issue and 4" of length between the wheels, what you do to a Fox Mustang will work with our cars.
    The CFI tank (in your case, an LTD sedan 20 gallon will fit if you transfer the straps, F16C is the Spectra part number) and stock fuel level sender work, just add the 90's Mustang fuel pump (single in-tank pump, I used a Bosch pump). The Bosch Mustang pump comes with the hose to convert the pickup line to the new pump and everything; I don't know about the other brands.

Beyond that...run your lines to the front, use the Mustang brackets and all to hold the fuel filter and such. You can run a larger fuel line, use a 2005+ Mustang GT fuel filter and buy the universal "Ford fuel line repair" hoses. The 2005+ GT filter is the same dimensions as the ones through 2004, except the fittings are for larger fuel line. It's about the same price, too.

Once you get up to the engine, it depends what you've got...you're on your own.

/rant warning
    As for the lines themselves...seriously, a bender and bulk tubing are so cheap I don't see why anyone would pull nasty old half-rusted lines off one car and put them in another. Unless it's right there, and you don't have to crawl around in the muck, and it's already paid for...I'd spend the extra few bucks, do the brake lines at the same time, and not have to worry about them for the next 20 years or so. Modern coated lines are wonderful...the '80s uncoated lines are swiss cheese by now. I'd have a seizure if I carefully pulled all the lines of a rusted out parts car, carefully managed to get them in place on the new car, manage to separate the fittings to make the middle parts 4" longer for the F/Z/etc, and then had the rusted out line blow in half like a week later.
    /rant over ...it's safe to come out now.

Ben

Greywolf is right about the tank and fuel pump. You can also use a Chevy (don't tell anyone!) pump from an '87-'92 Camaro, Airtex part number E3210.

I used the fuel lines, filter, and bracket from a '98 Mustang Cobra. The SN-95 Mustangs have a crossmember above and behind the rear axle, and the fuel filter and bracket mounts to that member. My '79 F/Z doesn't have that member (your '82 probably doesn't either) so I made a bracket that mounts to the fuel tank support and the trunk floor. See the pictures. Hindsight being 20/20, I could have made the bracket in one piece instead of two, which I riveted together.

Because of the longer wheelbase, I cut the fuel lines (supply, return, and vent) forward of the rear axle and had 5" extensions welded into each. The welding was done by a shop that does aircraft welding and they evacuated air from the lines, filled the lines with argon to prevent oxidation and made the welds. It cost $275 which sounds like a lot of coin - it IS a lot of coin - but I think it was worth it. Here's my reasoning:

$275 - cheap
    car fire - NOT cheap

I also cut the lines where they go laterally under the passenger seat, flared them, and put flare fittings. If I ever need to remove the lines after the sub-frame connectors are installed, I can do it. I made hoses from the tank to the filter inlet and from the return line to the tank using high-pressure 1/4" hose and connectors bought at a Ford dealer. The vent hose on the tank fit right to the vent line with no cutting.

Hope this helps you a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by FuturaGuy; 01-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.

For $275, I think I would have went with a -6AN line...
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

For $275 you could have bought coils of 3/8 and 5/16 tubing and fittings, bending and flaring tools, and the Ford tubing ends to make the coils yourself, had brand new coated metal lines, and had enough left over to pay a buddy to put them in while you hand him beers.

FEP Senior Member

bump for more input from others that have did this swap.

I just did the LTD w/CFI tank and sender swap, along with the GM style Walbor GSS340 pump. I got the lines and filter bracket off a friend's '89 and lengthened them with parts store line and unions. I have yet to try it yet though......

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    For $275 you could have bought coils of 3/8 and 5/16 tubing and fittings, bending and flaring tools, and the Ford tubing ends to make the coils yourself, had brand new coated metal lines, and had enough left over to pay a buddy to put them in while you hand him beers.
    I'm sure I could have done that. On the other hand, we've all seen fabricated fuel or brake lines that looked as if the guy who installed them drank all the beer before he started.

The nice thing about this car hobby is that there is no "right" way or "wrong" way to do something (unless the fuel line leaks, then you definitely did something wrong). I'm not recommending that anyone do it my way, it's just that Rab asked how others have done the fuel injection swap and I told him what I did. To each his own.

Have you tried to locate a gas tank from a turbo Fairmont/Zephyr? Check the service manual I am quite sure they have a e/pump and a return line in it. I changed over from the T4 to V8. The tank might be hard to find, maybe the factory manual can show how they modified,with returns or the type of e/pump. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Futura View Post
    Have you tried to locate a gas tank from a turbo Fairmont/Zephyr? Check the service manual I am quite sure they have a e/pump and a return line in it. I changed over from the T4 to V8. The tank might be hard to find, maybe the factory manual can show how they modified,with returns or the type of e/pump. Good luck.
    Considering that the turbocharged F/Z cars were still carbureted, I highly doubt they had an in-tank pump....

Even if the turbo-4 cars HAD the in-tank pump, those tanks are going to be harder to find than the appropriate LTD wagon or sedan tank (which are available new for under $150). I don't know if it did or not. I know I have stuff to look up...but I can't remember what...

Ben

I kept the stock tank, and drilled and tapped the filler tube for the return. Then I used an ebay inline 255 walbro on the passenger side framerail. I plumbed summit aluminum 3/8" fuel line from front to back using fuel injection hose and clamps at the joints. I used as much aluminum as possible. Looks pretty good, flows pretty good, and wasn't too expensive. I'm sure there are better (and more costly ways to go about it).
    '79 Fairmont Futura Sport Coupe--'90 EFI/GT40Ps/Performer/70TB/HO Cam/255lph/LTs-Single 3"/3.73/Novi1k@6psi/AOD/TWEECed
    '93 Carb'd LX Hatch--331/AFR185/FTIcam/LTs/650DP/Stealth/3.90/FR Rack/3G/2.5" ST Catback
    '95 Ranger XLT--EFI 5.0L/E-Cam/RR/T5/LTs-Single 3"/3.55

I heard that the tank out of my 88 thunderbird turbocoupe will fit in my 83 4door mont. Is that true?

FEP Senior Member

what year and size tank should the LTD gas tank be from, i went to rockautos site and there were a few different sized for a 1985 ltd.

Probably not going to help, but I swapped the tank, lines and pump from a 98 Cobra, it still had the return style fuel system, not returnless like some of them did, and the lines fit perfectly up front, and the only difference was with the length of the floorpan. I was able to "fudge" the difference above the rearend, as the lines coming out of the tank were flexible, and I was basically starting from scratch anyhow. I also had to section the spare tire will about 2.75", so it was definitely not a bolt in.

Rab, here's the breakdown:
    Fairmont/Zephyr (ALL, including wagon) before late 1980, use "F2" style tank (Spectra part number). This is the tank with the raised side that sits below and around the spare tire.
    1981 and later (EXCEPT WAGON) use the "F16" style tank. This includes the Fox LTDs.
    ALL WAGONS, including FOX LTD WAGONS continued to use the "F2" style.

So for a 1982 sedan/coupe, you want a Fox LTD (non-Crown Vic) tank. I'd suggest a 1985 or 1986 tank from a 3.8 or 5.0 CFI car (Spectra part F16C) with associated plumbing and tank straps.

If it's a 1982 wagon, go for the F2C style tank (1985-1986 3.8 CFI, again, NOT Crown Vic LTD).

Wolf's got the right idea. New tank with in tank pump and new lines. If I had it to do over that's what I would do. I did inline Walbro pump with new aluminum lines.

I have a spare F16C (20 gallon) tank I've been playing with; my 1980 Zephyr uses the F2C style. First person to show up at my doorstep can have it...if I'm home. I am moving later this year and will have a lot of stuff, I'd rather give to F/Z folks than go through the trouble of boxing and selling on ebay.

FEP Senior Member

o.k. my car is a 4 door 82 mont, so i go with the F16c right.
    will the stock mont filler tube fit the ltd tank, also i will need the ltd straps also?
    here is a link to the right tank i think.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=17177

That sure looks like it! Yes, get the LTD straps (may be the same, but definitely worth new straps with new tank).
    For the filler tube, go to the Ford dealer and get the filler tube grommet that matches your filler tube. The tank hole is the same size, only the grommet changed over the years.
    I think the one you will want is E1AZ-9072-B . It's the same as on some F-series trucks until much later, I think they come in sets of 2, about $10 each or so?

FEP Senior Member

thanks greywolf.

FEP Senior Member

o.k. guys im trying to figure out all the stuff i need to go fuel injected 5.0 in my 82 fairmont, so heres a list, tell me if im missing anything.

1. 5.0 5 speed and engine hanress and all sensor from 87 lx all parts from the same car
    2. ltd tank
    3. ltd straps
    4. fuel pump walbro 255, car will get boosted later unless i find some more cash now
    5. bulk fuel line for main and return
    6. misc ford fuel connectors, and hangers

anything else you guys can think of ????

i also have some other ?'s regarding what to do with the old duraspark wiring, that can be found here
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...14#post1043014
    thanks

That looks like most of it. Access to the '87 LX will help with a lot of knickknack parts.
    You didn't mention the fuel tank to filler neck grommet. It's a real beast to get to once the swap is done so don't try re-using the old one to save $10. Ditto for the tank vent; it's the same part at least until the late '90s in Rangers and stuff, and I bet a lot of other cars. Another $10 part that you can re-use...but you have to take the tank off if it doesn't work right. The choice is yours

As for the engine swap, I'm not the V8 expert but I'm inclined to say you should get it running "stock" with the stock ECM, then use the MS to EEC-IV conversion set. I was thinking of doing that with my ancient F150, but I'm probably going to just use some Explorer 5.0 parts to convert it to Mass Air.

'87 is TFI ignition, I'm not sure how you'd work that with Duraspark; my answer with Megasquirt is to add coil packs and run DIS. Until then, let the EEC-IV run the TFI using the '87 LX harness.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    That looks like most of it. Access to the '87 LX will help with a lot of knickknack parts.
    You didn't mention the fuel tank to filler neck grommet. It's a real beast to get to once the swap is done so don't try re-using the old one to save $10. Ditto for the tank vent; it's the same part at least until the late '90s in Rangers and stuff, and I bet a lot of other cars. Another $10 part that you can re-use...but you have to take the tank off if it doesn't work right. The choice is yours

As for the engine swap, I'm not the V8 expert but I'm inclined to say you should get it running "stock" with the stock ECM, then use the MS to EEC-IV conversion set. I was thinking of doing that with my ancient F150, but I'm probably going to just use some Explorer 5.0 parts to convert it to Mass Air.

'87 is TFI ignition, I'm not sure how you'd work that with Duraspark; my answer with Megasquirt is to add coil packs and run DIS. Until then, let the EEC-IV run the TFI using the '87 LX harness.
    thanks again , like i said early my plan for the time being is just get it running off the stock ecu un boosted, unless i fall into some cash soon.

You don't specifically mention the inertia switch for fuel pump cutoff in case you find yourself seeing things from a new angle, aka turbo-box. It happens.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=97994

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast