Close

Default 84 5.0 Serpentine belt issue

I've got an 84 5.0 HO that likes to eat valucrap 84.5" (850k6) smog pump bypass belts from Autozone a few days after I install them. The belt that the car came with is older than dirt and works fine. It is routed the stock way (A/C included) but bypasses the smog pump. I don't see that any pullies are locking up or have resistance in turning. Also, no pulleys appear to be out of line. Do you think the tensioner pulley bearings are bad? There is a very small amount of play in that pulley, but I didn't think it would be a problem. Am I wrong? Any similar experiences?
    1986 Mustang GT
    Former Fox-1984 Capri

Those Valuecrap belts are just that,CRAP. They don't last long even when routed the factory way. Step up to a Gatorback and see the difference. I had the same problem on one of my cars and after using 2 cheap belts I got the gatorback and no problems since.

GATORBACK... FTW!!! Got one on my '85GT. I did have to replace my tensioner pulley though as it did freeze up on me... bad bearing.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

To follow up on this one in case anyone is having the same problem:

For whatever reason, that belt just doesn't want to stay on in the 84.5" routing configuration, no matter the brand name of belt. All pulleys appear to be lined up. I put on a new water pump and alternator recently. I ended up rotating the tensioner counter clockwise a little (drilling a hole for the dowel) to alleviate the rubbing that occurrs when you bypass the smog pump and use a 77.5" belt. It now has a new 77" belt, no rubbing, and everything is cool.
    1986 Mustang GT
    Former Fox-1984 Capri

Rubbing??? You never said anything about rubbing before...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Theres a better way to route belt. If the rubbing is from the tensioner pushing the belt together as it comes around the alt, its done with a 84.5 belt. I like the pink color route myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wman24; 03-23-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Blog Entries

I use the pink routing (bypassing smog pump with a/c and p/s) in that diagram on mine too, with an 84.5" gatorback belt. Absolutely no issues at all.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by COLD View Post
    Those Valuecrap belts are just that,CRAP. They don't last long even when routed the factory way. Step up to a Gatorback and see the difference. I had the same problem on one of my cars and after using 2 cheap belts I got the gatorback and no problems since.
    THIS i have a gator back on my 83 and love it! it runs super quiet never slips well worth the $25...

i have a 73.5" belt for like a 2.0L contour and also had the drill a new hole for the tensioner.. it works great the way it is routed..
    Last edited by zac_f83; 03-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

Get a straight edge and make sure all your pulleys line up... My crank pully was coming off (don;t ask... PO issue) and I found THAT was the reaosn why my belts were being eaten.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

The belt would rub slightly on itself where the tensioner pushes the belt towards the water pump pulley. That's why I was trying use the 84.5" belt. It wasn't a big deal, but it needed to be fixed. The pulleys are lined up; I used a yardstick. They don't shuck the belt when it is routed with the 77 incher. Yes, it is very weird and it should work with the 84.5", but it just doesn't. So if somebody is searching due to the same problem, that was my solution.
    1986 Mustang GT
    Former Fox-1984 Capri

FWIW, the yardstick really isn't the best way to check pulley alignment on a serpentine drive.
    The problem is where to put the yardstick, or ruler. The belt doesn't care where the face of
    the pulley is, only the grooves. Flat belts are not nearly as tolerant of misalignment as the old
    V-belts were.

The belt itself actually works fairly well, or you can use the back side of a 3/4" wide measuring
    tape wrapped around one pulley, and laid across the next. Pay attention to how the edge of
    the tape lines up with the grooves.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Chris Wood

I had a similar problem, until I shimmed or removed material to get my pullies aligned.

i had this same issue until i changed my tensioner,before it would eat off 2 ribs and then not get chewed up anymore
    Last edited by stripped302; 03-23-2010 at 07:25 PM.

cheap belts will stretch and rub when you re-route the belt the way your original post described. i learned this the hard way. that routing doesn't allow for hardly any stretch of the belt. i use a prestone belts now of 92 lumina car 3.1 size. bitch to put on but doesn't over stretch.

also, i had a pulley alignment issue with my water pump for reasons totally unknown. i had to shim it.

cale

i did basicly the same to mine handlebar,worked for me
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that