Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drg racr View Post
    If you change out that factory AM/FM radio, I'll buy it from you if it works.
    Consider it yours. I will see if it works here in a couple of days. I sent you a pm.

ratrap1964 That looks like a fun and well thought out project.

Maybe i.ll catch up with you at the Birmingham Power Tour stop.
    I'll be in my wagon.
    BTW it look like we have similar taste in cars.

Randall

78 Fairmont Sedan
    408/t5/8.8-3.73

81 Fairmont Wagon
    5.0/t5/8.8-3.55

FEP Member

Its even a hardtop!! Nice. I will look for the wagon in Birmingham, if I can remember?

FEP Member

Got the computer mounted and hole cut for the wire passthrough. Starting to get the wiring roughed in.

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Coming along well.

- Did you retain the factory brake booster?
    - Where did you source the sound deadner?

I know room is limited on the F/Z cars, but what made you choose the grommet location over somewhere on the firewall for the harness pass-thru? It would seem at that point an inner fender is a necessity of course, would moisture be an issue I wonder with being near the front wheel? I like the panel you have mounted for under the seat, pretty slick.
    Last edited by quarterstang86; 11-27-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    - Richard

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by quarterstang86 View Post
    Coming along well.

- Did you retain the factory brake booster?
    - Where did you source the sound deadner?

I know room is limited on the F/Z cars, but what made you choose the grommet location over somewhere on the firewall for the harness pass-thru? It would seem at that point an inner fender is a necessity of course, would moisture be an issue I wonder with being near the front wheel? I like the panel you have mounted for under the seat, pretty slick.
    For now I have the stock booster. I can always swap a sn or cobra one in at a later date. I got the the sound deadner from my father in law he works for rubberseal, I think they have a website. I would have rather put the grommet in the firewall but I didn't want to pull the dash. It is actually close to the same spot as the donor car. Obviously I will have to lengthen the wires. I am not running inner fenders so I will have to seal it up good but I don't think it will pose a issue.

nice wagon. i want one. my wife is going to KILL me if i drag another car home
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

My wife said the same thing when I brought my wagon home. I owe a BIG thanks to the paramedics who responded to my house...
    I bet they can bring you back too.

FEP Member

I am jumping around on the build but it will get finished. The lincoln had 170,000 on it, so the motor could have the same (probably does). I figured would reseal the intake, timming cover and put a new timming chain in it. The old timming chain had a ton of play in it. When I pulled the fuel rail and injectors a few of the pintle caps broke, so I will be on the hunt for them.

Nice build....cant wait to see how she turns out!!!
    88 GT(Saleen SSC Clone).....my
    79 Z7 Zephyr 302/C4....under construction
    96 Ranger...Daily driver
    04 Honda 400ex.....dune slut

So what gas tank are you switching to in the wagon, if you run the pump in the tank? I'll be switching the tank in my 78 wagon soon.

I assume since you are sticking with the pre-87 dash that the sending unit issue will be moot (since at worst you could use a Mustang/Capri cluster). If so I have a vintage Motorsport 140 speedo with red needles from my 85 Capri. Near perfect shape. LMK if you are interested.

FEP Member

I am going to run the stock tank with a external pump. I will have to plumb in a return, but thats alot cheaper than buying a new tank. I have a personal goal to build the car for. so far so good.

Here is the pump. I got it from summit.

I have a early mustang/capri cluster that was in the back seat of the car when I bought it. I got the bezel at a local junkyard, now I just need to find a matching piece for above the glovebox. I think there is a cool factor with the 140 speedo's to bad it wouldn't match.

Last edited by ratrap1964; 09-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.

do you need a cap for that sport wheel? i have a mustang 2 one.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanyonGT View Post
    do you need a cap for that sport wheel? i have a mustang 2 one.
    I have one I just pulled it off to pull the wheel. Thanks Anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ratrap1964 View Post
    I have a personal goal to build the car for $2500. so far so good.
    That sounds pretty close to my budget goal. We'll have to keep each other in check as temptations inevitably arise. If you get your wagon running before me I'm curious as to how loud that external pump is gonna be. Any prior experience with it?

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    That sounds pretty close to my budget goal. We'll have to keep each other in check as temptations inevitably arise. If you get your wagon running before me I'm curious as to how loud that external pump is gonna be. Any prior experience with it?
    I have never ran a external efi pump. It has to be quieter than the holley electric carb pumps( I hope).... I am hoping on having it running within a month or so.

I have never ran a external efi pump. It has to be quieter than the holley electric carb pumps( I hope)....
    Yeah, would that really be too much to ask? Mine was pretty obnoxious too, even with the rubber isolators installed against the body in the old Ranchero.

the externals are not that bad, quieter than the carb ones IMO....but then again I was running an edelbrock gear drive and 2 1/2 exhaust with borla pro X/S mufflers and no tails on my mont before so no wonder I really didn't hear them. The intank in my 96 F150 is louder to me...
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

I have a early mustang/capri cluster that was in the back seat of the car when I bought it. I got the bezel at a local junkyard, now I just need to find a matching piece for above the glovebox. I think there is a cool factor with the 140 speedo's to bad it wouldn't match.

Probably not worth the hassle or expense, but I remember back in the day before Ford started offering the 140 speedo that people would sometimes get the speedo recalibrated to read the KPH scale as MPH
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

FEP Member

While waiting on summit/ebay I decided to start on my shifter surround.
    I had some mdf laying around so i got to cutting. I like to use fleece when fiberglassing but I didn't have any and to lazy to go get any so I used a rag I plan on building a cup holder off of the passenger side of it out of aluminum.

awesome, I love it!! I love working with 'glass....I mixed mine a bit "hot" the first time I did it and just about burnt the shop down!!! LOL
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

sweet ride, I'm on the hunt for a 4door.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bangen View Post
    sweet ride, I'm on the hunt for a 4door.
    There's a clean-looking four-door 'Mont on Phoenix craigslist that's been on for a while. Take a look if you're interested. It's green with tan bucket seats.

FEP Member

Progress on the car has been halted for about a week. I had my tonsils removed and some sinus rotor rooter today. Lucky me to have this done at this age. I will get back on when I am able.

sorry to hear. get well soon man.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast