Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    i just go done parting out/stripping a 85 lx 4 banger 4 speed, picked it up cheap and grabed a bunch of misc.trim and interior parts,ect,ect.

i grabbed the 4 speed tranz from it also,, IIRC its a ET trans and not a SROD, can the ET tranz work, or made to work on a cheap behind a I6?
    anyone?

I wouldnt use that transmission for anything. I believe the pattern is the same as the T5, but the transmission case is tapped and the bolts go in from the bellhousing side, but I could be wrong. Just keep looking for a four banger T5, they are cheap when you find them and completely worth the money.
    79' Fairmont ES 2dr Sedan- 3.3L/T-5, Cobra R's, 5.0 front brakes...

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

What's the typical asking price for the SROD housing? I need to know what move to make when I yank this I6-4spd deal out?
    - Richard

Almost nothing unmodified, and Id assume not a ton after modification. The only people they are worth anything to are people that want a cable operated T5 behind their 6. Most sixes came behind early mustangs and the like, and they have bellcrank operated bells that take adapter plates real easy. Just about anything with a 144-200 up to the fox era had a bellcrank. F/Z's and other Fox 6 cylinder cars use the cable bell and there are only a handfull of fox 6 cylinder guys. Dont throw it away by any means though, its gotta be worth something to somebody.

FEP Senior Member

If your going to yank the cable operated inline six bell housing I would be interested depending on price.

I have a 1985 Mustang coupe that I am converting to a T5/turbocharged inline six/SN95 8.8 3.27. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...apenaredLF.jpg

I already have a WC T5 and a I6 flywheel, I just need the bellhousing and clutch fork.

FEP Senior Member

so the v8 srod bell will bolt right to the straight 6, i might be getting a 82 stang v8 srod trans for next to nothing with the bell included.

also what are all my options on flywheel,clutch,pp?

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    so the v8 srod bell will bolt right to the straight 6, i might be getting a 82 stang v8 srod trans for next to nothing with the bell included.

also what are all my options on flywheel,clutch,pp?
    The inline six bellhousing is unique. No other Ford engine bolts to it. The inline six cable operated bell is only worth something to someone who owns a Fox body inline six.

The V8 SROD is almost like a T5 with no 5th gear.

More like a T5 with no 3rd gear lol....

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin View Post
    More like a T5 with no 3rd gear lol....
    How true. My WC T-5 is sitting in garage because it keeps popping out of 3rd gear.

Yes a V8 bellhousing will bolt to a late model 200 six. When teh starter was moved down . . the bell mount was also changed. There is a slight amount of work needed at the topside to make it fit, but its worth doing. Therefore, a T5 bellhousing for a V8 can be made to work.
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Anlushac11 View Post
    The inline six bellhousing is unique. No other Ford engine bolts to it. The inline six cable operated bell is only worth something to someone who owns a Fox body inline six.

The V8 SROD is almost like a T5 with no 5th gear.
    You just answered my question about pulling the 6cyl and 4spd out of my 80 boxtop.

Default For Rab

There is an aluminum 12 port crossflow cyl head for the 200 style engine now.
    Now that would be interesting.......
    Ron.

Yup, someones oopsed and its an SROD/Tremec with 4.89" diameter bearing hole, and the TopLoder/SROD bolt pattern.

Std respose is

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?t=59752

Quote Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
    Posting this here as well as a couple of other forums for reference.

A couple of months ago I found an ALL manual fairmont out at the JY. Knowing the rarity of a manual transmission 6 cylinder Fairmont, I pulled the tranny and everything related so that I could do a manual swap into my car. The SROD that was in it only had one problem (Beside the fact that its an SROD ), the shifter-to-rail bushing was toast and anybody that has tried parts for an SROD knows those parts are just about obsolete. I had originally planned on turning up a new bushing out of bronze on my lathe and to install the SROD in my Fairmont. Well after a little browsing, I found out that the SROD bell also has the T5/T4 BW pattern cast into the face (I had known about the V8 bells being the same way, but didnt put 2 and 2 together til I read it here). Being that I had my 2.3T T5 transmission clean and sitting in my shop, I did the wise thing, and scrapped the SROD.

Next step was to convert the Bellhousing over to the T5 pattern:

First I made some plugs for a couple of the existig holes on the SROD pattern

Tig welded the 2 plugs I made into the holes (they interfere with the T5 pattern)-

Then I mounted the bellhousing up on my mill and machined the welded areas flat-

Then I bored out the retainer pilot hole to 4.91" from 4.85" to accept the larger bearing retainer from the T5-

After removing the bell from the milling machine, I mounted the T5 in the bellhousing and marked the holes. (I was going to use a transfer punch, but they were too long and the webbing on the transmission interfered, so I just used a sharpie). I then proceded to mount my bellhousing back onto the milling machine, and drill out th 4 holes of the T5 pattern-

Then I Tapped the holes, 7/16-14 thread-

And DONE!

After this, it should be a bolt in affair with the exception of a small adapter plate I have to make up for the crossmember. The T5 and SROD are both the same length, so my driveshaft should work just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12