Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow I'm New -- Teach me!! (Pics)

I worked out the best trade ever with a guy on craigslist - my 400K 2002 focus for his 85 mustang - which actually cranked and I drove onto the trailer. This is my first 4 eyed car. It's an 85 LX coupe 5 Liter. It runs poorly, has a dirty faded interior, and needs a lot of TLC but I love it already.

From what I understand the orginal engine was replaced. Hopefully has roller lifters/camshaft and E7 heads. BTW how to I check to see if these are E7s? Is the part number stamped under the valve cover? No mechanical fuel pump. Has a fairly crappy looking fuel pump thats mounted to the fender. Engine has a weiand 2P-180 manifold and 80457-2 (4160) 600 cfm holley carb. Also this car is has a c4 auto. Some of the electrical system does not work (gauges, interior lights, power door locks). Also someone has added some auto parts store cheap-o gauges under the dash.

My other car is a stout '01 Cobra. I want to work out the electrical problems both under the hood and in the dash and get this car driving decent. My tentative plans are too just get the car running good and drive it to work a few times a week. This is not a full restoration project as of now, just want to get her running smooth.

I was planning on pulling the engine soon so I could work on the wiring and clean the engine bay. My first main question is about the distributor. It seems that the distributor has a TFI module like the fuel injected models. Is this not the right distributor for a carbed '85? I have a vac advance distributor out of a mecurcy capri that could be used (steel gear needed?). Also I have a DUI HEI distributor that could be used. The coil mounted on the fender also looks like an EFI coil. Is this right? I'm afraid the previous owner(s) may have done some screwy work. Also I traced the passenger side wiring harness into the car and behind the kick panel is the bracket for the computer for the EFI cars and a what seems like the computer wiring connector. Since 85 were not EFI, why is this computer connector even in the car???

What parts do you think I need to get this car going? I'm already thinking the pitiful fuel pump needs to go and I either need a holley electric pump or the mechanical pump. I have both, what do you recommend?
    Also I'll be using EFI stock headers and an o/r H pipe and twin flowmasters. The engine will remain stock shortblock with E7s (if thats what I have). I was planning on swaping the weiand 2P-180 (8006) for a weiand stealth (8020) which I have sitting in my shop. Also I not real familiar with carbs but I have this 4160 already on the car but I also have a 4150 650DP in the shop which I could clean up and put on. I'd like to change the stock HO cam out for a little thumper cam. I know the stock HO cam is a good cam but I'd like a little thump thump.

Pretty much I'd like y'all to look over the pics I've attached and tell me what you see, especially electrical wise and let me know what you think about my possible enigine combo.

Link to pics --> http://picasaweb.google.com/kxtperformance/BlueCoupe#

You cannot run a TFI distributor with a carb. The TFI distributor has no mechanical
    or vacuum advance, and without the TPS and MAP sensor inputs, the advance is not
    going to be electronically controlled either.

You're going to have to do some investigating to know if it's got a roller cam or not.
    Probably the easiest way to tell is to pull one of the pushrods and check the length.

The casting number on the heads will not be visible without removing the intake
    manifold, unless they're GT40s. (They don't look like it.)

That's some scary looking wiring. And the battery is the wrong size for an '85.
    Last edited by JACook; 11-15-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I think the previous owner(s) did install a TFI distributor for what ever reason. I'm planning on getting it sorted out soon.

'85s with automatic transmission originally came with CFI. But some things I see
    suggest this was not originally a 5-liter car. For one thing, the coil is on the opposite
    shock tower from where it is on my '85 CFI car. Is the 8th digit of the VIN an "M" or
    a "3"? Or...?
    Last edited by JACook; 11-15-2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

No "F" engine in '85. It would be "M".

The car looks good. Lotsa potential there!

I'm the last one on the planet to offer advice about that thing under the hood ---- but there are lotsa people here that are experts in the field (and in the garage, too).

Question for ya ... What does kxt mean?
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    No "F" engine in '85. It would be "M".
    Thanks Fox. Corrected...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

welcome to have you

looks like a fun ride
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Chris Wood

Looks like a good start. If it were me, I'd go with a MSD ignition with a MSD distributor-easy to wire, and it will aid in cleaning up the under-hood wiring. Many options are available for the fuel pump issue. I can't tell from your pics if your timing cover has provisions for a mechanical one. As for the gauges, no time like the present to go all aftermarket-the factory gauges are just unreliable-being 20+ years old dosen't help. Welcome to our little spot, we are informative, inspirational, and mostly glad to have another four eye enthuisiast!

Question for ya ... What does kxt mean?
    It's the first three letters of my very first license tag; back when I was 16. I've been using it on all the forums since '99 or so.

I'll check the vin to see if she came from ford as a 4 banger or a 5 liter. I hope it's and orginal 5 Liter car but its not a big deal.

I had no clue that there ever was a CFI mustang. So auto cars got CFI which require a computer? And that's why the kick panel has a place for one? Interesting....

Also for the fuel pump, I have a timing cover in the shop with a mechanical pump. Would it be easier just to run a mechanical pump for my mild setup?

This is an extremely low budject ride. As of now I'm planning on using used and junkyard parts, so I probably can't get a MSD distributor and Box. I can use the VAC advance distributor or the Davis United HEI distributor I have. Need thoughts on this matter.

In '85 there were four engines/codes...

2.3L (A)
    2.3T (T) (SVO only)
    3.8L (3)
    5.0L (M)

The 5.0L had either a 4V carb or EFI/CFI (TBI). If you kept the standard manual transmission (T-5) you got the carb. If you ordered the optional automatic transmission (AOD) you got CFI. Same for the '84 model year.

"Early" '85 CFI models had '84 model year exhaust (cast iron manifolds, single exhaust all the way to the tailpipe) and the engine was rated at 165 HP. "Late" '85 CFI models got the exhaust that the '85 4V models had all year (tubular "headers", dual mufflers and tailpipes) and the engine was rated at 180 HP. (The '85 4V model was rated at 210 HP all year.)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Hello and welcome!
    HAULING ASS AND BURNING GAS
    BECKY

1980 Mecury Capri 5.0

Looks like a very cool project there. Not sure what you have going on with that motor but I'm surprised it even runs with the distributor clocked the way it is. On my 86 the TFI module is pointing in about the 4:30 position.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by kxt View Post
    This is my first 4 eyed car. It's an 85 LX coupe 5 Liter. It runs poorly, has a dirty faded interior, and needs a lot of TLC but I love it already. My other car is a stout '01 Cobra.
    Welcome to FEP. Nice choices for rides. Mine are an 86 GT Vert and an 01 Cobra Vert. I think I enjoy the 86 as much as the 01; but the 01 has some very nice creature comforts which I'm in the process of working out on the 86 (nope, not IRS - have one of those; this will be a home-engineered three-link). Have fun.

Awesome trade bro!! Welcome to FEP!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Thanks guys, y'all have been very helpful so far.

Do you think I should just remove the passenger side wiring harness and leave it out of the car? I want to do away with most all the unncessary wiring and clean up the engine bay. I plan on pulling the dash soon and figure out where the previous owner has made electrical changes.

Also whats everybody using for gauges. This is an extreme budget build so I don't want to go crazy. Luckly I have an autometer tack, water temp, vac pressure, and oil pressure gauge. I want to do a clean install into the car. I prefer not to have an A piller gauge pod but I'm not against it.

Also does the upper dash pad on these cars remove from the main dash? Can that be replaced on the cheap?

Welcome! Sweet coupe you have there.....LOTS you can do with her!!!
    I just got a 85 coupe as well!!! But it's a 4-banger.....

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Chris Wood

Thanks guys, y'all have been very helpful so far.

Do you think I should just remove the passenger side wiring harness and leave it out of the car? I want to do away with most all the unncessary wiring and clean up the engine bay. I plan on pulling the dash soon and figure out where the previous owner has made electrical changes.

Also whats everybody using for gauges. This is an extreme budget build so I don't want to go crazy. Luckly I have an autometer tack, water temp, vac pressure, and oil pressure gauge. I want to do a clean install into the car. I prefer not to have an A piller gauge pod but I'm not against it.

Also does the upper dash pad on these cars remove from the main dash? Can that be replaced on the cheap?
    Yes, the dash pad seperates from the main structure. You will have to remove the instrument cluster bezel, there are a couple of screws hidden behind it, remove the screws that are visible in the defrost vents, and there are a couple on the passenger side just above the "blank" area of the dash, you've gotta LOOK for them.

Do a search for "gauges, or instrument cluster," you'll find many discussions on this topic. There are a few aftermarket instrument cluster vendors as well. mc-machine.com and florida50.com come to mind.
    Last edited by Chris Wood; 11-15-2009 at 02:24 PM.

I found out this car has a A code for the 8th digit of the VIN which is a 4cyl. non turbo car. Thats not really a big deal at this point, and may actually save me a little when insureance time comes around.

Some of y'all bound to have removed most if not all of the underhood wiring and rewired yourselves. Are their any websites talking about this or writeups?

Welcome to the site. You have a good looking car with lot of potential
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

I found out this car has a A code for the 8th digit of the VIN which is a 4cyl. non turbo car. Thats not really a big deal at this point, and may actually save me a little when insureance time comes around.

Some of y'all bound to have removed most if not all of the underhood wiring and rewired yourselves. Are their any websites talking about this or writeups?
    Yep, insurance savings abound, with a 4 cylinder swap car!!

Also, don't be suprised if the motor is a 87 or up roller block, as I suspect the efi specific distributor came with the swap motor! Another give away would be the lack of a fuel pump mount opening, on the timing chain cover, behind the alternator.

And, a 4 cylinder to roller block swap would explain why the previous genius had to adapt in the efi distributor in the first place!!

All in all, good toy you have there!!

By the way, were you commuting between New york and California for work, or do you just like driving A WHOLE LOT?? I mean, 400,000 miles behind the wheel of a focus would make the terminator cry like a little girl.... unless it were being done for compensation, of course!
    Pro BMW tech- I'd rather fix the mustang, though..

nice find, well worth the trade in my opinion. my carb'd car has the msd box and distributer and its super easy to hook up and very few wires. just a sugestion if its in your budget. my car was also a 4 banger that has been swaped and yes you will save a ton in ins. just watch to see what they value your car at. they wanted to value mine at 300 bucks. i ended up having an adjuster look at it and they insured it at 6k. still saved me a ton because he never questioned the thumping cam v8 lol. on that note you mentioned a cam, i run the b-303. it has a great thumping idle and required no valve train mods, makes good power too on my stock headed short block. i also did away with all the wiring from the passenger side kick panel and under the hood and it helped a ton. also make sure since it was a 4 banger that the fuel lines were replaced to 5.0 lines from the tank foreward. my car runs an electric intank pump "holley" and it works flawlessly to 6800 rpms. good luck with your great find!!

Welcome. She's a beauty. have fun!

By the way, were you commuting between New york and California for work, or do you just like driving A WHOLE LOT?? I mean, 400,000 miles behind the wheel of a focus would make the terminator cry like a little girl.... unless it were being done for compensation, of course!
    It was a courier car that delivered drugs to drug stores. Actually it was given to me, which makes the deal even sweeter.

I'm planning on removing the engine soon and have decided to use my davis unified HEI distributor - only 1 hot wire to hook up.

So I don't have to spend $100 on a holley pump and regular I think I'll go with a mechanical fuel pump since I already have a timing cover. What size line should be ran from front to back?
    Last edited by kxt; 11-16-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: --d

i believe the v8 libe should be 3/8 but i could be wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast