Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Restoring Mustang Tail Lamp Plaque

Hi All, I donīt know how to call this part, it is the optional part that's installed in between the tail lamps of 79 to 82 Mustangs. (its the one in the pics, the one with the MUSTANG block letters)

Has anyone been able to restore it, that could share any tips? I just bought this very original 1980 hatchback and would like to keep this part, as I know it is a very rare accessory

Thanks!

Name:  IMG_3046.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  43.6 KB

A buddy of mine had the narrower one on his 85 SVO that was NOS; cool accessory. If it's a single plastic, as in the letters and yellow area are all the same, I would tape off the black areas and wet sand it with 800-1000 grit sand paper with a block or by hand. Might take a while and taking your time is important. Then a quality 3" or 5" hand buffer with a high quality plastic polish. I've used Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish before on plastic headlights with good results. Then mask off the yellow/letter area and take a rattle can of semi-gloss black to the black trim.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)