Close

Default Braking problem on my mom's van

My mom's got a 95 ply voyager van and she's got some braking issues. When you first start it up and move the brakes are really touchy/grabby (I'll nose dive it in the driveway) and when it warms up it's still a bit touchy and stuff. You don't dare put any real pressure on the pedal (like stop quicker than a block or two) otherwise you will lock it up and skid. It's worse when it's wet out and it rained last night, she had to go out for a but and she almost slid through an intersection. She had these issues before the front brakes were changed about a year ago but it's slowly gotten worse. Anyone got any ideas because I don't want her getting into an accident and now shes afraid to drive it.
    -Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

Got the same with my 79 Mustang.
    First time break after car has been parked, the brakes lock, no matter how gentle I brake.
    When normal driving I need to brake with one toe to slow down in a normal fashion.
    I suspect the brake power booster (is this the correct description?).
    Think there are some rubber valves or o-rings or something in bad shape.

Let me know if you find out!

Regards,
    Hans.

My 95 Caravan does this from time to time although not as server as yours. I have found that the biggest problems come from the calipers sticking. On every FWD Dodge that I've owned (All used the same front brakes as the Caravans) I've had to replace calipers and rubber lines because I first thought the caliper was bad then I figured out no fluid was getting through the rubber lines.

So, check the front brakes, see if the caliper is sticking and check to see if your getting brake fluid to the caliper. No fluid mean a blockage in the lines, a leaking line (these things rust like crazy) or a bad master cylinder. I haven't run across a bad proportioning valve yet but it's always a possibility.

Also, adjust your back brakes up. The self adjusters do nothing no these vans, even when they are new. Even though the rear brakes help very little when stopping, it is noticeable when the are adjusted and working properly.
    Last edited by Ford'sCapri; 11-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Thanks for the info, once it's warmed up it isn't so severe but you still have to be careful with it. I borrowed it last week and someone in front of me stopped suddenly and when I hit the brakes and it locked. I had enough room to back off the brakes and reapply pressure but it locked up again. How do I check the front calipers to see if they are sticking? I know next to nothing on brake systems.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

Remove the calipers and make sure the caliper pins are well greased, slide easily and are not badly pitted or rusted.

Also take a C-clamp, open the brake fluid reservoir cap and compress the caliper piston checking for roughness, sticking or excessive force necessary to compress it.

Most of the times the pins that hold the caliper in place dry out or rust and cause the caliper to get stuck.

If so replace them or at least clean them well and grease them good
    FOR SALE: 1984 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Edition with '86 Roller V8

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I took the van out several times tonight and it's doing it again. Starting off cold it bites a few times, then it eased off some (quits biting so hard but still bites if you press down hard enough) after going about 2 miles, braking now and then. Sat at that location for about an hour, it does it again on the way home. Took my mom to work tonight and it did it again but after playing with the brakes around the neighborhood it eased off some (almost normal braking this time) but I had the window down this time and I couldn't swear to it but it sounded like it was the back locking up, but I don't know if it was both sides or just one. Ok, I'm really confused now.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow 1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I took the van out several times tonight and it's doing it again. Starting off cold it bites a few times, then it eased off some (quits biting so hard but still bites if you press down hard enough) after going about 2 miles, braking now and then. Sat at that location for about an hour, it does it again on the way home. Took my mom to work tonight and it did it again but after playing with the brakes around the neighborhood it eased off some (almost normal braking this time) but I had the window down this time and I couldn't swear to it but it sounded like it was the back locking up, but I don't know if it was both sides or just one. Ok, I'm really confused now.
    Ok.......Check the lines going to the rear of the van for leaks as well as the rear wheel cylinders. (brake fluid on the backing plates, on the outside of the drum and the rim will show are a good indication of fluid leaks) Also while the van is jacked up spin the wheels to see if they turn free and you don't hear any noises like grinding or scraping. Then while your turning the wheels have someone hit the brakes. This will tell you if the brakes are sticking or not.

Do that and see what happens. We will go from there.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Thanks for all your help John, I'll check it out probably on saturday, she's using it all this week and she doesn't get home until it's dark. Good thing she works about a mile away, lol.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH