Close

Hybrid View

Default clutch quadrant vs direct pull.

i serched this out and couldnt find what i was looking for.
    In my 79 pace car it has the direct pull style clutch cable system, the question is what advantages are there if any to switching out and putting the style in that has the clutch quadrant? I understand that the quadrant was made so that it would self adjust but besides that?
    is it any harder or more difficult on the peddle pressure??

any help or insight would be great thanks all.
    57 chev p/u 4x4
    92 bimini lx
    93 cobra
    03 Navigator
    79 pace car build--> http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85264

FEP Senior Member

the factory quadrant was plastic junk,which stripped easily.you cannot just put a firewall adjustable for a latemodel foxchassis quadrant in your pacecar,regardless of what jegs or anyone else says.your pace is adjustable,but it's under the car by the bellhousing[under the cover held on by one bolt].the pace doesn't accept the aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster.for one,the hole in the firewall is too small for the adjuster knob.

the old setup that you have uses a cable which adjusts at the transmission end...a very simple setup.

if it's not broke, don't fix it. the old setup should work just fine.

the ONLY advantage you will get by swapping to the newer style is the ability to put a modern quadrant and a firewall adjuster on it...this will give you the ability to adjust the clutch at the firewall.

if it were my car, and your clutch is working fine, I'd leave it. Those pedal assembly's SUCK to swap out
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

My '79 Capri is the same as yours and I will never change it. Ford should never have changed over to the quadrant system. Self adjustment isn't a big deal on a clutch.
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

thats basicly what i was looking for thanks guys! i was just curious if it was an "upgrade" going to a quadrant style system. at this point in my restoration i have the dash out and it would be super easy to switch. but if there is no reason it will stay thanks again ya all
    57 chev p/u 4x4
    92 bimini lx
    93 cobra
    03 Navigator

oh another Q anyone run a firewall adjuster with these older cables? it looks like it should work just fine am i correct? (i understand that the clutch can be adj at the trans end but it would be easy at this point to put one in)
    57 chev p/u 4x4
    92 bimini lx
    93 cobra
    03 Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by speedbunch View Post
    oh another Q anyone run a firewall adjuster with these older cables? it looks like it should work just fine am i correct? (i understand that the clutch can be adj at the trans end but it would be easy at this point to put one in)
    The stock V6 clutch cable in my 79 Capri was adjustable at the firewall. I'm not sure about the 2.3 or the straight 6 though. The V8 is obviously adjusted at the bellhousing like everyone else has stated.

On a side note, if someone wanted to install a later pedal box in their early fox, you have to beat on some bracing under the dash to make room for the quadrant assembly,you can use the later "quadrant" clutch cable without opening the hole in the firewall by swapping the rubber isolators between the direct pull cable and the quadrant cable. Easy as that.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

How many times do you adjust a clutch on a street car? (not worth it)!
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

What year did Ford start using the plastic quadrant? My 85 appears to have the old style direct pull setupwith the adjustment at the bottom just like my 79 Carpi had.
    2005 Mustang GT- 13.62 @102 All Stock- RIP 8-29-05 9:17 AM
    2003 Redfire Terminator
    1985 Mustang GT T-Top- Almost Done

Quote Originally Posted by floodstang View Post
    What year did Ford start using the plastic quadrant? My 85 appears to have the old style direct pull setupwith the adjustment at the bottom just like my 79 Carpi had.
    85's had the plastic quadrant. I actually haven't had any problems with it and like the ease of adjustment.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

FEP Senior Member

you can not swap the isolator and make the firewall adjuster work on my 79 pace,the hole needs to be bigger.i have one in a box in the garage from jegs that they said would work-not.

Quote Originally Posted by mossybull View Post
    you can not swap the isolator and make the firewall adjuster work on my 79 pace,the hole needs to be bigger.i have one in a box in the garage from jegs that they said would work-not.
    I was talking about stock cables. I have no idea about aftermarket ones.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap