Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possible fix, for the TRX tire / wheel issue

Hey guys, if you have done much research into finding tires for your TRX wheels, you have probably found your way to coker tire, here in Chattanooga. Michelin sold the molds to coker years ago, and so now Coker "rapes" us everytime we need metric tires. I bought a set once from coker about 5 years ago, and getting the local good-ol boy discount, I still paid $1000.00 for those tires. furthermore, within 3 years, the sidewalls were begining to split, like they were dry-rotted.
    My suggested fix... there are several companies now doing custom wheels. What we need to do, is go in together and get a 17" wheel made, that is a clone to the original metric wheel. this would allow us to shop thru a large variety of tire manufactures. We could buy performance tires for much less than coker charges for his inferior 79 design. Plus, the 17" wheels would look much better on our cars. I've seen several companies advertise custom wheels. If we make a mass order, we should be able to purchase the wheels for a huge discount, and "corky" coker can stick his tires where the sun will never make them dry-rot. Corky claims to be a friend of the car guy, but he has no problems with "raping" car guys when it comes to buying his products.
    Anybody interested in finding a custom wheel manufacture? If so, lets get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by mach2race; 08-27-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Has been discussed already ... quite expensive while not much more than two full sets of TRX.
    I won't go 17" ... that's way too big for 4eye ... 16" is better.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

I don't know, I've seen some guys running 17" "R" code wheels on a pace car... they look pretty mean. Sure 1 set would be expensive, but as in all manufacturing... the expense is in setting up the equipment to make the first one. Once the CNC machine is programmed... the rest is easy money. For instance, if we were to place an order for 10 sets.. the price per wheel, would come way down. I will spend some time checking with some wheel manufactures. Business is slow right now, some wheel manufacture will be looking for some work. Those CNC machines don't make money, if they are sitting idle. Can I get at least 10 pace car guys, to commit to purchasing a set... if we can negotiate a good price?

I've got an 82 GT that will need a set but i would also prefer 16 inch over the 17'S.

1982 Mustang GT in progress

We can let the majority rule, doesn't make that much difference to me. 16" may even be a bit cheaper. I'll start contacting some wheel manufactures. If you guys know of any local machine shops, or wheel manufactures that might be interested... look them up on the web, or give them a call. We could always send them an old TRX wheel to use as a reference. I think the original TRX metric wheel was something like 15 3/8" so we aren't looking at that much of a change to a 16" wheel.Thats why i was leaning to a 17" wheel. These days, a 15" wheel on a car, looks like a 13" wheel once looked. Funny how times have changed. I was thinking a 17" might give the car a more aggressive stance. I think prices on 16' & 17" tires are about the same.
    Last edited by mach2race; 08-27-2009 at 04:01 PM.

You might want to move this discussion to the "wheels, tires and brakes" section under "Tech." The TRX rims and tires were available on Mustangs from 79-84, not just on the pace cars. I don't have a pace car, but just happened to notice the letters "TRX" under the forum section, and wanted to see what someone was saying about them. There might be a lot more interest from those who own a Mustang that isn't a pace car, but also have the TRX rims, or might want to keep their car original and can't afford the grand for the Coker tires. I'm guessing there would be a lot of interest. And I cast my vote for the 16" rims, as opposed to the 17" rims. The 16" rims would be closer to the factory look (which is what most would want to achieve by buying a set of TRX rims in a normal size). The 17" rims would look too big.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

I've contacted a few wheel manufacturers and the best deal I found was about $400,000 to do a mould and machine about 400 sets minimum. That works out to $1,000 per set. You'll need to find 400 guys that will buy a set which I think is highly unlikely. I myself would pay $1000 for a nice set of TRX 16" clones...now we need 397 more people.

Default No way, I know we can beat that price.

Whoever told you 400,000 is on drugs or just doesn't want the job. Ever see the show overhauled (chip foose) Almost every episode, they machine custom wheels for each car. Like I said before, the expense is in setting up the CNC machine to cut the first one. Everything after that is just gravy for the machine shop, other than the expense for the blocks of aluminum.
    I agree, we do need to move this topic over to the wheel / tires section, but I don't know how to do this.

I will spend some time this weekend on the web, tracking down wheel manufactures / machine shops.
    Last edited by mach2race; 08-28-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Hey guys,
    First, wheel manufacture sent me to this guy, Scott @ team III. He is away from his phone, I'll try him, again. They work with custom wheels. Unfortunately for me, they are located in CA, so I can't drop in to see him.

Another possible option, is to have our TRX wheels turned down to accept a standard 15" tire.
    I've been told, some owners have managed to stretch a 15" tire, to mount on a trx metric wheel. I've also been told, some folks have destroyed new tires trying this. I believe the angle inside the wheel rim, is slightly different, but it may be possible to turn the rim down, to accept a standard size tire. That would possibly be our cheapest option. I'll continue to contact companies about new wheels or turning down our factory wheels.

There's no way a 15" tire can fit a 390mm rim ... despite the size, the problem is the tire bed which is specific.
    About machining TRX rim to 15", i've asked and was told there's not enough material to do it safe.

Too bad TRX is not in the tag search ... there's a bunch of threads.
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

FEP Super Member tan84mustanggt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post

Too bad TRX is not in the tag search
    It is now.

I may be interested in a set of these. Maybe a couple. Curious to see how this all turns out.

Anyone else have trouble finding nice center caps for their TRXs? Would these new rims use the standard TRX center cap?
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback
    84 Tan 5.0 GT convertible
    84 GT350 2.3T convertible

FEP Senior Member

I've always like the look of the TRX rim but the cost has held me back. I can't justify the $1000+ price tag for a set of new rubber. But if a 15 or 16 inch TRX becomes available and the cost isn't way out reach I might be interested. But of its gunna cost a $1000 for a set of rims I'll pass.
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

I would think we could use the same centers. I have read articles on-line where people have mounted 15" tires on TRX wheels, so i know it has been done. Yes, I know its not recommended, and the bead angle is not correct, but they will seal. I've read they are very difficult to break down and remove, once mounted... however, I feel confident we can find a solution, whether its machining our stock wheels, or purchasing new machined "clones"
    Lets work together on this, we can find a solution.

Mach
    Last edited by mach2race; 08-28-2009 at 12:25 PM.

I'd be interested in a TRX clone but not enough to pay custom wheel prices. I might buy
    a set for the average retail price of say $150 per wheel. It just doesn't excite me to pay
    big money for a wheel that looks like a factory wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I'd be interested in a TRX clone but not enough to pay custom wheel prices. I might buy
    a set for the average retail price of say $150 per wheel. It just doesn't excite me to pay
    big money for a wheel that looks like a factory wheel.
    I think you just have to want to have the factory appearance. I would like mine to be totally stock in appearance but perform better and I am ok with paying a little more to achieve that. Judging by your album, a totally stock/factory appearance isn't that isn't a huge deal to you. Please don't take that as a shot, it's not, IMHO your car looks pretty damn nice. Especially, with the draglites on it.
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback

Factory appearance is great but i have two set of period-correct aftermarket rims for the Pace Car and two still good sets TRX for special events, so it's not a priority for me.
    I wouldn't mind going up to $200-250 per rim for 15" or 16" TRX looking rims, it'll still be cheaper than a set of tires, but not more as it cost an arm to ship rims overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by tan84mustanggt View Post
    I think you just have to want to have the factory appearance. I would like mine to be totally stock in appearance but perform better and I am ok with paying a little more to achieve that. Judging by your album, a totally stock/factory appearance isn't that isn't a huge deal to you. Please don't take that as a shot, it's not, IMHO your car looks pretty damn nice. Especially, with the draglites on it.
    Thanks for the compliment... I think?

Here's the deal... If I want the ability to have a factory look (and I do that's
    why I refuse to go 5 lug) I'm going to buy TRX wheels restore them and buy
    the proper TRX tires! These clone wheels with incorrect tires are like a faux
    anything else - They're just an imitation of the real thing!

So why even bother??

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment... I think?

Here's the deal... If I want the ability to have a factory look (and I do that's
    why I refuse to go 5 lug) I'm going to buy TRX wheels restore them and buy
    the proper TRX tires! These clone wheels with incorrect tires are like a faux
    anything else - They're just an imitation of the real thing!

So why even bother??
    Fair enough, I see your point. And yes, it was a complement. I very much like your car! I just figured with out the stripes maybe you weren't going for the 100% stock appearance. Sorry if that didn't come across.

Also, I really like TRX tires. I think they get a bad rep due to the cost or something. I see them bashed all the time. I have them on 2 of my 4I cars and think they perform fine. I really wish that Coker wasn't pricing them so high.
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback

Could we approach Coker about a volume discount instead of doing the new wheels.

1982 Mustang GT in progress

Quote Originally Posted by tan84mustanggt View Post
    Fair enough, I see your point. And yes, it was a complement. I very much like your car! I just figured with out the stripes maybe you weren't going for the 100% stock appearance. Sorry if that didn't come across.

Also, I really like TRX tires. I think they get a bad rep due to the cost or something. I see them bashed all the time. I have them on 2 of my 4I cars and think they perform fine. I really wish that Coker wasn't pricing them so high.
    You are correct, I'm not after the 100% stock appearance, but I do try and
    keep things within reasonable proximity of stock vibe. I think of my car as
    a personal interpretation of a period correct hot rod. The car has not been
    restored, or chopped, so it has a "genuine" quality.

I'd still like to have a set of TRX wheels and tires for occasions.

My previous comment was actually in your favor!

I ran into this guy at the Saleen Nationals in Castle Rock, Colorado last month.

He said that someone local to him rehooped the TRX centers for about $200 a wheel. I believe they are 16's.
    Last edited by wythors; 08-28-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Cool wheels....... but I'm more in awe of his hood liner!

The TRX wheels look great, but the rim leak/tire issue made me store mine.
    Not worth the upkeep, expense, and hassle on a car driven fairly regularly.

I agree +1 styling would make the car look better
    I emailed several wheel manufactures this weekend, but still waiting on reply's. The idea of turning down the TRX wheel is not going to fly. Due to the liability risk, however the idea of removing the TRX center, and welding them into a 16" or 17" rim sounds like a great solution. Perhaps, we should look into this, further.
    There is one machine shop here in Chattanooga, that has the capability to turn custom wheels. They can machine a 16" clone of the trx wheel. I have somebody checking on a price to do this. I found several wheel shops, but none were able to turn custom wheels... I never checked about having the TRX centers removed and welded in 16" rims. So, I need to re-email some of these wheels shops.
    I personally am not interested in 15" trx wheels. The 15" wheel / tires look very dated, the larger wheels make the car look more aggressive and modern. If you like the looks of a stock trx wheel / tire, just give Coker $$$ and buy a set of factory correct michelins. I've seen pace cars with 17" cobra R's.... they make a sharp looking fox body, look killer
    Last edited by mach2race; 09-01-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast