Close

Default Pace Cars from Hawaii???

Well, after carousing around the forums for a few years, I finally decided to join because something has been bugging me the last few weeks. I have an opportunity to purchase a '79 Indy Pace Car that has no rust or rot, but has body damage. It was a 4cyl turbo, but the guy who is selling it purchased it as a shell. He dropped in a 351W and auto trans. I've decided not to purchase it, but it haunts me every night. Everything but the engine, tranny, and rear-end is original.

Anyone know how many '79 Pace Cars were sent to Hawaii? This one is originally from Hawaii.

Since I'm currently in the process of starting my own business, I don't want to spend the money, but I have a terrible addiction to Mustangs. I have a list of "must haves" and when I see one I want from that list, I sometimes jump on it when I really shouldn't (from a financial standpoint).

If it's one or one or two from Hawaii, I might take the plunge and buy it despite the fact I really shouldn't.

Anyone know?

You got me but that sounds really interesting. I would buy it still. how does the frame look since he put a 351. I hope it didn't get twisted if he put the pedal to the metal
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

The engine is placed in it, sitting a little high though. He paid a guy to do it and forgot to put different mounts in it. Engine is 90% of the way setup, but he has not driven it. It can start, but shouldn't be driven (from the few things that aren't hooked up yet).

I can't really justify getting it knowing that if all goes well, I'll officially have my own business in January. But, as stated before, I'm a little obsessed and "need" one! It would be a while before it gets fixed too. I've got floor work and paint on one, just paint on another, and a complete overhaul on a third lined up already...
    1984 SVO
    1986 SSP - FHP
    1988 SSP - Tribute SSP (original FHP)
    1988 SSP - MA State Police #2702
    1992 SSP - MI State Police
    1984 L 3.8L w/ 34K miles - FOR SALE
    1986 GT Conv.
    1989 GT Conv
    1990 LX 2.3L
    5pt0joe.com, ShowCarCustoms.com

I notice you own a Texas DPS car. do you have any pictures
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Squirrel View Post
    I notice you own a Texas DPS car. do you have any pictures
    Yup! My '90 TX DPS is hopefully going to be repainted the original black and white color and have decals put on this winter, but for now, it looks like a black unmarked cruiser.

You can see more pictures and read about it at my website: http://www.5pt0joe.com

Thanks for asking!
    1984 SVO
    1986 SSP - FHP
    1986 GT Conv.
    1989 GT Conv
    1990 LX 2.3L

Thats sweet. I remember seeing these chasing down plenty of people in Texas. I wish they would bring back the mustang. I wonder where in Texas your car did duty at. Would you know by any chance.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

I hated seeing those cars when I was driving otr! I always kept an eye open for them!

Why did you hate them Cold? were they just silent killers at night. they catch you slipping and boom got you nailed.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

Why did you hate them Cold? were they just silent killers at night. they catch you slipping and boom got you nailed.
    EXACTLY!! 77 in a 55 zone in a big truck and 3 days behind on log book,didn't go over very well to say the least!

This is when the speed limit in Texas was 55 for trucks.

Yeah and it took you about two days to get thru state of Texas to. Did you ever pass by Big Spring, Texas.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

What race did they have in Hawaii that had a pace car?

Yeah and it took you about two days to get thru state of Texas to. Did you ever pass by Big Spring, Texas.
    LOL you are correct my friend! Been through Big Spring many times! About 2-3 times a week for 2 years running back and forth from Romeo and River Rouge,Michigan to Elpaso when I was hauling Ford parts. Yes I used to haul out of the Mustang plant.

Thats crazy. Thats where I'm orignally from. A small town that you can miss if you blink your eyes, haha.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

Thats crazy. Thats where I'm orignally from. A small town that you can miss if you blink your eyes, haha.
    Yep,as I remember it was pretty small. Sometimes I would change up my route and go across I40 and drop down through NM through Alamogordo and past the White Sands missile range. You couldn't miss the gigantic Texas star in Elpaso at night. lol

Haha, thats so true and the clear skies for sure. You could see every darn star and see nothing but tumble weeds, dirt storms for miles. I'm sure you miss Texas, haha.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

Actually I do to a point. Texas has a lot of history in it and I like going to places like that. I always wanted to go back to Sweetwater for the rattlesnake roundup in March. Not to watch,but to participate!

how much is he asking?
    you got to look at it like, if you had to do it your self later. will it cost you more $$$
    because it not like you will find allot of early mustang on SMALL CHUNK OF LAND in the middle of the ocean?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Yeah the rattle snake round up is something else. its amazing how we have some many different parts. when people think of Texas they think of the wild wild west. The west part of Texas is like that. then evey part is different. Sweetwater is really nice. Colorado City is the home of the buffalo burger. there are many things you can do there.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

yeah espically RUST free.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

I actually have no clue as to where exactly is served in TX. Finding out that part of the history from the TX DPS is not the easiest thing to do! I figured I'd have my TX DPS car done up for shows to display, but my Massachusetts State Police SSP will be the one I document every nook and cranny I can get! Can't wait!

Well, my cost is a little less than $1000 (asking price). If I were to do the work, I would be rather anal about it, so it would cost me a lot (other than bodywork and paint, as I have a decent guy do that for me). It would probably cost someone $4K+ to do bodywork and paint, but would probably cost me about $1500-$2000 max (including decals). Then I would want to replace the headliner, redo the seats eventually (typical condition for age), needs redone or new steering wheel, put a 4 or 5-spd tranny as opposed to the automatic in it now (was originally a manual tranny anyway)... it will all add up quick.

I'm thinking that I should just wait for the next one to come along that is more complete, needing minor cosmetics and is 100% original. Although, I will admit, I would love to have one that looks original, but has a bit more get up and go than the stock '79's. Nothing too crazy, but a little more power. If I were to get this one, I'd keep the stock appearance and leave the minor mods under the hood that the current owners has.

If I'm going to do that, I'd be spending just as much as the couple on here I've seen discussed for $6K-8K range. Only difference is that these would be original and the one I'm looking at will not be!
    1984 SVO
    1986 SSP - FHP
    1986 GT Conv.
    1989 GT Conv
    1990 LX 2.3L