Close

FEP Power Member

Default Non Mustang brake repair question

My 16 son recently started to drive and I told him we will get my 97 Dakota back on the road for him if he helps. So today we did a front brake job. The truck has been sitting outside for almost two years. Front brakes were totally shot. Both calipers frozen, rotors trashed, etc.

I did the first side with him helping out but I basically did important tasks. The second one, I let him do with me helping. Well, I didn't double check and he didn't have the caliper seated correctly and stripped out the bottom threads in the spindle.

What are my options, best option etc to repair?

I see on line that autozone has an oversized bolt with a small tube a thread lock and they claim that you don't have to drill and tap. This sounds a little unsafe/
    85 GT vert

Helicoil is your best bet. Just make sure you get the right kit. (thread size and pitch)

Look on the bright side. He gets to learn another auto related repair.
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

FEP Senior Member

dont even bother with it i know exactly the bolt your talking about.
    just get remaned. calipers from the autohole and save yourself the hassle since they arent really expensive. considering the driver is going to be inexperienced when the old ones lock up during a panic stop its one thing that has to work on a car.
    it can run like crap and wobble all over the road but it has to be able to stop properly or someone can get killed.

Helicoil should be fine. The force the brakes apply to that bolt comes from the side. A helicoil will be sufficient.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Otherwise known as shear force, acting in a direction perpendicular to the bolt axis... So there is almost no chance of ripping the new bolt out.

Helicoil will do. I used the kit on the exact same bolt you're talking about in the past and it worked perfectly. Do make sure you get the right kit. Easy to use.
    FOR SALE: 1984 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Edition with '86 Roller V8